door buttons dont work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > door buttons dont work

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
wjgrunt
2004 WJ 

Wj door buttons dont work

Out of no where i turned my jeep on and none of the door panel switches work..windows locks mirrors. The only other thing was the driver doors lock/unlock button stopped working about a month ago. Any ideas besides the fuse?

wjgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Broken wire in door boot between door and body, my bet is the thick black one!
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

^^^^^ What he said.
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
sicWJofNWA
1999 WJ 

X2 for broken wires in that rubber boot that the wires run through. I just got done repairing 3 broken wires there.
'99 4.7L V8, 45RFE with Trans-go Shift Kit, Kuhmo KL71 265/75R-16 on Cragar Soft 8's, Carolina front double cardon DS, 242HD TC Swap, Aussie Locked 44a, IRO 6.5" premiun lift kit with all arms adjustable, Kolak 5125 bilsteins. IRO adj track bar, IRO dual HD steering stabilizer (in the mail), IRO premium rocksliders (in the mail),
:AUDIO:
Optima Yellow Top. Infinity 475 and 1600a amps. Infinity 4 way 6x9's front, infinity 6" rears, 2 JL W3v3 4 ohm subs.
:CARPC:
Zotac GF9300-ITX mobo w/ wifi, Intel quad core @3.2 gHz, 1tb ssd, 250 Watt dc-dc carnetix power supply, Lilliput 10.2" tochscreen in the dash, Winders 7 home premium. An iTunes library w/ 370 gigs of music.
sicWJofNWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
4Tom
2001 WJ 

UN clip the rubber boot from door by hand and inspect the wiring going from drivers door to body.

The best way to repair broken wire is to solder in (same diameter) a short lenght cable and use heat srink as insulator. This will ensure its flexable and takes the strain off the cable.

To give your self some space to work unscrew the kick panel to expose the wiring in body next to door. You can pull broken wire back into the foot well solder solder on a short extension (6") and feed it back though rubber boot and solder it to broken wire at door. If you do the job right it will last for many years.

If you can't solder try learn as its useful to know or ask a friend that can solder a few bottles of beer or pizza will sweeten the deal.

It is possible to buy this part of wiring harness but it is costly and time consuming to fit.

Crimp connectors don't seem to last and you'll have to go at it again later.

Best of luck and question just shout.

Sent from my Jeep while driving by tapping the horn and steering wheel controls.

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
wjgrunt
2004 WJ 

checked the ground wire..it had already been rigged by the previous owner..either way i took the wire out and reconnected it taped it back up and still nothing..also the only button that works is the passenger lock button and my info thing up near the sunroof keeps sayin driver door open and the interior lights only go off if the switch is turned all the way back..i dont know guys any other ideas?
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
4Tom
2001 WJ 

As the PO has been attempting to repair double check your fuses and pop off door trim and inspect wiring inside door.

I suspect you have more than one wire faulty in door.

Then it's time to get serious with the wiring in the drivers door boot either replace it with harness from dealer or properly repair solder joints and heat srink wap. Testing the remaining wires with volt meter.

There is a chance of faulty swiched and door lock it's not impossible just not as likely as the wiring in rubber boot

Sent from my Jeep while driving by tapping the horn and steering wheel controls.

Tom
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
wjgrunt
2004 WJ 

thanks tom. im thinking it must be something loose in the door because today the buttons worked two out of the four times i started it. i do have a jl audio 13w3 and it is always goin full tilt, i had similar door problems in my last car...the windows began to just fall down when my system was hitting hard. never been great with electrical work though. Thanks again and i plan on taking the door panel off this weekend ill let you know if i figure it out.
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
wjgrunt
2004 WJ 

hey guys...new problem. jeep wouldnt start. cranks sometimes, sometimes jus clicks. i hit the started a few time..got it to run then the next day nothing. i replaced the starter and still nothing. i can get it to crank and start if i give it some gas but then as soon as i idles it shuts off. im going to test the alternator tomorrow since my gauge only reads a little above nine volts when the car is off. any ideas? i hate sitting here not knowing the problem, it eats at me.
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Sounds like your battery is flat. Have that checked first it might be faulty and make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight on battery poles. Use fine sand paper if needed.

The alternator only works when engine is running and typically will read 13.5 to 14 volts depending on load and battery condision.

Tom
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

X2 battery or check your starter connections.

Is it clicking once or a bunch of times? Are your gauges and lights flickering?

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
wjgrunt
2004 WJ 

it clicks a bunch of times. and nothing out of the normal with the gauges except the battery one reads just above 9 volts. i was told to try jumping it to get it running but im confused at that because yesterday..the first day after the problem happened i got it to start by giving it a little gas on the trottle and it started but would only stay running if i kept my foot on the gas slightly above idle. when it first happened, i tapped the starter a few times and it ran all day but it would rough idle in gear but not in park or neutral so i assumed the starter was not disengaging and i replaced that. the old starter click once when i tryed to start it and now the new one is clicking a bunch of times.
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
wjgrunt
2004 WJ 

also i was told that having a bad ground somewhere will drain my bettery without me knowing. i and assuming that my door button problem is a bad ground somewhere since it works sometimes and i can get them to work when i open my door slightly. just all very confusing i am NOOOO good with electrical
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
4Tom
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjgrunt View Post
bad ground somewhere since it works sometimes and i can get them to work when i open my door slightly. just all very confusing i am NOOOO good with electrical
Did you take the advice of the other posters and myself
Check wiring in drivers door rubber boot !
Bad earth here can cause the BCM to turn on drawing extra current when you leave you jeep parked up that will flatten your battery over time.

The volt gague on dash is a crude but does work it reads battery voltage and is slow to react to changes in voltage.

Plenty of auto shops will test your battery for free.

Tom
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
SapporoGuy
2000 WJ 

I'm pretty old school for the battery and had thought it was just used to start the car but recently realized that a dead battery actually is a huge problem to keep your car running properly.

Definitely get the battery checked, probably better yet try to swap it with a confirmed good one. Also check the alternator if its pumping out the right amount of juice.

The guys above are probably right about the ground issue you have. Only thing to add is tear apart your door to see how much of the wiring to the buttons was jimmy rigged!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.