Doetsch tech 8000 shocks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Doetsch tech 8000 shocks?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
metalhead
2000 WJ 

Doetsch tech 8000 shocks?

Is anyone using these shocks? Are they good? I am looking at the IRO 3 inch lift and can't afford the bilsteins so are the Doetsch tech shocks good? Also IRO suggested using upper adjustable control arms what do you all think is it necessary? I want to replace my front control arms with the IRO ones mostly because all the bushings are shot and just want better arms.

metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

They suck. Get a monotube shock if you want a quality ride.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

I run the Doetsch shocks. They have a bit of a rough ride, and they squeaked for quite a while. Apart from that, they do what they need to do. If I could afford Bilsteins, I would have gotten them, but the Doetsches are passable.

That being said, if I were to do my lift over again, I'd spring for the Bilsteins.
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWJ View Post
spring for the Bilsteins.
nyuk nyuk nyuk
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Shocking!
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
JeepWJ
2003 WJ 

Wow, that put a damper on things..........
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have any complaints about my DT8000's, not sure why they get so much bad press on here, hydraulic shocks will act like a hydraulic shock. If I were to complain about ride quality, it would be about my mud terrain tires, not my shocks. Adj UCA's aren't necessary with a 3" lift (IMO)
Unread 02-17-2011, 05:22 AM   #8
Androoos
2001 WJ 

I read all over the place (here and other forums) that DoetschTech are junk. Very squeaky and a hard ride. Monotubes really are the way to go. If you look hard enough you can find the Bilstein 5100s for around $75 per shock shipped. They aren't that much more considering how much better they are.
Unread 02-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #9
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.4x4xplor.com/DT8000.html
Unread 02-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #10
huntandfish
2004 WJ 

I really like my DT8000's. Slightly stiffer than the stock shocks but also twice as beefy, not to mention the built in bump stop is a great idea. I dropped a front coil on the trail last trip(something some say cant be done with stock control arms) and a combination of the doetsch tech bumpstop and the wheel spacers is probably what saved me from shredding anything.

a lot of people that say they are crap are compairing them to shocks that cost twice as much or more. Really, they flex great and are built very sturdy.

with the DT8000's and the Addco rear sway bar my wj corners back roads like a sports car. I dont worry about blowing one on a bad pot hole. I hit a nasty shallow ditch going way too fast and they came out alright. i only hat time to say "oh shi"BOOOM.
A great place for outdoorsmen in the NW. www.hunting-washington.com Member Screen name- addicted
huntandfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 07:57 AM   #11
jackadf
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had the DT8000's, thought they rode too rough for me and they sqeaked real bad when it got cold. Switched to Bilstien's and the ride is much better and no more sqeak.
jackadf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

I've got a buddy with a GC on a 6" lift running Bilsteins and said the ride quality is superb, so I coughed it up and got the Bilsteins with the IRO 3". Should be in tomorrow. I heard mixed reviews about the DT8000's, so I guess we'll see how they ride.

4.7L Powertech V8 l Iron Rock Offroad 3" Suspension Lift l Bilstein 5125 Shocks l Bilstein 5100 Steering Stabilizer l 17x8 Unique Steel Wheels l LT255/75R17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM l Kevins Offroad Transfer Case Skid l Kevins Offroad Roof Rack Tire Carrier l Hella 500 Black Magic

http://ddoffroad.com
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
metalhead
2000 WJ 

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I will have to wait a little longer to get the lift and save for the bilsteins.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
Capricorn
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Guess I will have to wait a little longer to get the lift and save for the bilsteins.
Once I get my lift with the Bilsteins in, I'll get a pic in...actually, once I install the lift, then I'll let you know how they ride.

4.7L Powertech V8 l Iron Rock Offroad 3" Suspension Lift l Bilstein 5125 Shocks l Bilstein 5100 Steering Stabilizer l 17x8 Unique Steel Wheels l LT255/75R17 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM l Kevins Offroad Transfer Case Skid l Kevins Offroad Roof Rack Tire Carrier l Hella 500 Black Magic

http://ddoffroad.com
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #15
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

they are rated for a much heavier truck. They were so stiff that over speed bumps, it allowed my tires to leave the ground at more than 6 MPH.

Spend the extra, you will end up changing them out anyway.

My Rubicon Express have been real nice.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.