does the wj come configured like this - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > does the wj come configured like this

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 01-12-2004, 11:51 PM   #1
Kess

does the wj come configured like this

i was looking around, and began to wonder if the WJ came with the V8 and selectrac, as opposed to quadratrac, didnt see any and was curious.....

Retired:1994 JGC Laredo I6 4.0L, Smittybilt Outland brush guard, 1 3/4" Daystar coil spacers, custom air intake with tube K&N, Borla cat-back, KC Daylighters 6" 150w stainless steel, Xenon superwhite headlights 85/100w, 235/75/15 Pirelli Scorpian A/T, billit aluminum grill inserts
Kess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2004, 05:23 AM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess
i was looking around, and began to wonder if the WJ came with the V8 and selectrac, as opposed to quadratrac, didnt see any and was curious.....

According to the $tealer$hip, no, it doesn't.
Unread 01-13-2004, 07:52 AM   #3
Joe Mama

According to Jeep's website it does (at least for 2004). The V8 + 5spd tranny is a $600 option on the Laredo, which comes with Select Trac.
Joe Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Quote:
My '00 Laredo has a 4.7 & Selec-Trac. It's the only Trans Case I'd have it based on what I've gleaned from all the posts in this forum. A bigger engine wouldn't be a complaint but I'm extreemly pleased with the 4.7. I do understand that it's not a common combination though.
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2004, 05:09 PM   #5
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E
My '00 Laredo has a 4.7 & Selec-Trac. It's the only Trans Case I'd have it based on what I've gleaned from all the posts in this forum. A bigger engine wouldn't be a complaint but I'm extreemly pleased with the 4.7. I do understand that it's not a common combination though.

I have a Cherokee with 4.0 and Selec-trac and a Grand with 5.2 and Quadratrac. For most real world driving, I greatly prefer the latter. Going over the mountains, the Grand actually gets better gas mileage because it doesn't have to work as hard. Also, when I am driving and the heavy rain or snow starts, I am much comforted because my Quad is already in 4WD. Can't do that with the Selec-trac until it is slippery.

When I talked to the salesman about the transfer case/engine combinations, we were talking about automatic transmissions. I can't think of any good reason to have a manual transmission if you don't have to have one. In small, underpowered, low priced vehicles, manuals make sense because they cost less to make, weigh less, and can help with gas mileage. In city traffic, manuals get old pretty quick, and for off road, the best set up is an inline six, 300 cubic inch, automatic. Inlines have better torque than 'V's, 300 cubes makes really good power, and no manual transmission can apply power to the ground as smoothly and evenly as an auto.
On the other hand, if I were were going to go with a manual transmission, I would have to go with manual everything and the biggest engine I could get.
Unread 01-14-2004, 02:11 PM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd

I have a Cherokee with 4.0 and Selec-trac and a Grand with 5.2 and Quadratrac. For most real world driving, I greatly prefer the latter. Going over the mountains, the Grand actually gets better gas mileage because it doesn't have to work as hard. Also, when I am driving and the heavy rain or snow starts, I am much comforted because my Quad is already in 4WD. Can't do that with the Selec-trac until it is slippery.

When I talked to the salesman about the transfer case/engine combinations, we were talking about automatic transmissions. I can't think of any good reason to have a manual transmission if you don't have to have one. In small, underpowered, low priced vehicles, manuals make sense because they cost less to make, weigh less, and can help with gas mileage. In city traffic, manuals get old pretty quick, and for off road, the best set up is an inline six, 300 cubic inch, automatic. Inlines have better torque than 'V's, 300 cubes makes really good power, and no manual transmission can apply power to the ground as smoothly and evenly as an auto.
On the other hand, if I were were going to go with a manual transmission, I would have to go with manual everything and the biggest engine I could get.
Agree 100%. Good advice....

Was I wrong in saying 4.7? I'm certain it is a 4.7.

Hauls tail and tows a big daggum boat w/ no sweat...

I think the hood (with the engine specs) was replaced before I got it though but didn't think a bigger engine was available for 2000...
Unread 01-14-2004, 04:03 PM   #7
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Agree 100%. Good advice....

Was I wrong in saying 4.7? I'm certain it is a 4.7.

Hauls tail and tows a big daggum boat w/ no sweat...

I think the hood (with the engine specs) was replaced before I got it though but didn't think a bigger engine was available for 2000...
Nope, you are right on all counts. Here are the specs in case you are interested:

ENGINE: 4.7-LITER, SOHC, 16V, V-8
Availability ______________________High Output: Std.— Overland, Opt. Limited;
Standard Output: Opt.— Laredo and Limited
Type and Description __________________________________V-type, liquid-cooled
Displacement ________________________287 cu. in.(4701 cu. cm)
Bore x Stroke _____________________3.66 x 3.40 (93.0 x 86.5)
Valve System_________________Chain-driven SOHC, 16 valves,
hydraulic end-pivot roller rockers
Fuel Injection___________________________Sequential, multi- port, electronic, returnless
Constructi______________Cast-iron block, aluminum alloy heads
Compression Ratio__________9.3:1—Normal, 9.7:1—High Output
Power (SAE net) ____________235 bhp (175 kW) @ 4800 rpm
(50 bhp/liter)—Standard Output
260 bhp (195 kW) @ 5100 rpm
(56.4 bhp/liter)—High Output (estimated)
Torque (SAE net) __________________295 lb.-ft. (400 N-m) @ 3200 rpm—Standard Output
330 lb.-ft. (447 N-m) @ 3600 rpm—High Output (estimated)
Max. Engine Speed _______________________6000 rpm
Fuel Requirement_____________________Unleaded regular, 87 octane (R + M)/2—Normal
Unleaded premium, 93 octane (R+M)/2 recommended—High Output
Oil Capacity ______________________________6 qt. (5.7L)
Emission Controls ___________________Mini converters (2), three-way catalytic converter,
heated oxygen sensors, advanced emission control system(a)
Maximum Gross Trailer Weight
Standard ___________________________________2000 lbs.
Optional ___________________________________6500 lbs.
Estimated EPA Fuel Economy (mpg City/Hwy) _________Normal: 15/21—2WD; 14/19—4WD
High-Output: 14/19—2WD, 13/18—4WD
Unread 01-18-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
kbohip

Quote:
You can get the Freedom edition WJ with the 4.7 HO motor and the selec-trac case.
kbohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2004, 02:59 PM   #9
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Warren,

Thanks for the spec sheet. If my engine is the High Output, will it say somewhere on the engine or on badging?

If, one day I can get it away from the Mrs., I'll look it over closely for the H.O. designation somewhere else...

Would I be able to tell from the VIN?
Unread 01-20-2004, 03:46 PM   #10
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Warren,

Thanks for the spec sheet. If my engine is the High Output, will it say somewhere on the engine or on badging?

If, one day I can get it away from the Mrs., I'll look it over closely for the H.O. designation somewhere else...

Would I be able to tell from the VIN?
EE,
NP
It might have 'HO' on the valve cover or somesuch.
You might very well be able to get it from the VIN, here is a decoder

Also, email these guys and ask for a build sheet. It will tell you for sure.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.