Does my cooling system have an air pocket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Does my cooling system have an air pocket?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
WJhappened
2004 WJ 

Does my cooling system have an air pocket?

I recently replaced the water pump and thermostat on my '04 4.7.

When I drained the system, I collected about 2 gallons from the system. When I refilled it, it only took about 1.5 gallons. I used the air bleeder when I refilled it. I ran it with the heater on to make sure I circulated that portion, as well.

I expected the system to work some air out over the next couple of days and have to top off the reservoir, but that hasn't happened. My reservoir is actually overfilled now. When I remove the radiator cap, it appears topped off.

So, how could my system have held more fluid before? Could a bad radiator cap make it so the system can't draw fluid from the reservoir?

Amateur mechanic here... thanks for the help.

WJhappened is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.