Does a BCM swap require a dealer flash? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Does a BCM swap require a dealer flash?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 08-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Does a BCM swap require a dealer flash?

Pretty sure I have a bad/shorting BCM and/or fuse panel that the BCM bolts to. I'm replacing them both with parts from ebay before I give up and have it towed to the dealer for a diagnostic. The parts are both out of another 2003, and both BCM part numbers end in 31AC.

Assuming this fixes my issues, and the BCM was bad, will I need the dealer to flash the new BCM to my VIN/mileage/SKIM etc? Will I at least be able to start up and drive it without flashing to get it to the dealer, or will it trigger the SKIM/ASD relay? I'd appreciate any input as to what I'm in for; I'm sure someone here has swapped a BCM before.

2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Any insight on this? I'm just going to swap the parts as soon as I get them, but if anyone has done it I would love to know what I'm in for with having to program or not after.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Unread 08-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

One last try before I throw the parts in there tomorrow.

Unread 08-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

No flashing is needed it will run fine. Just make sure the BCM comes out of a model with or without factory alarm depending on what you have.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
No flashing is needed it will run fine. Just make sure the BCM comes out of a model with or without factory alarm depending on what you have.
Well, I've got no way of telling that at this point, but thank you for the answer to the dealer flash. I'm really hoping this gets me back up and running.

Unread 08-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

The good news is that on the WJ the mileage is stored in the cluster and not the BCM like in the ZJ which can not be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Well, I've got no way of telling that at this point, but thank you for the answer to the dealer flash. I'm really hoping this gets me back up and running.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.