Do you have LED tailight bulbs in stock assemblies? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Do you have LED tailight bulbs in stock assemblies?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

Question Do you have LED tailight bulbs in stock assemblies?

Has anyone tried something like the VISION-X Tail Lamp LED replacement bulbs in their OEM tail light assemblies?

I ask because search is not helping me and I'm curious about changing to LED bulbs in the back but hate how all the aftermarket LED assemblies look in comparison to my stock ones.

Pictures/Videos and feedback on the change would be very appreciated as well.

Thanks!

ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
BigAl63
2000 WJ 

Yeah, I'm curious about this too. Hopefully somebody out there has done this.
BigAl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Well, I've got by rear stock light housings tinted as for me at stock they're just to bright looking and wanted to tone them down some. So far I've changed my reverse lights to LED. Theyr'e much better even with the tint as they're a nice clean white now and highly visible. Waiting for my bulbs to go before I worry about changing them. The thing about adding LED's is you have to think about the direction the light is going. Some only illumninate in one direction, where some are mulitdirectional. I've doen other vehicles before. I've always prefered SMD's compared to the diode type, and you need them to shine forward, and the sides to properly illuminate the reflector inside of the housings. If you look at dash LED conversions, this is the leading cause of hotspots. The bulbs aren't putting light out evenly and refelcting properly to give an even light.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
precisioninstal

I'm a dealer for Vision X and Recon, and honestly I will not sell either brand any more because they burn out led's. Just a fair warning to you.

With that being said, Ive been buying mine and referring customers to DDMtuning and haven't had any issues with theirs.

I would not switch reverse bulbs to with the 360* type bulb you listed, there just isn't enough light output compared to a 5w cree bulb. I use these in my stock housings with no tint, they light up about 150' behind the jeep with a width of about 100' at their widest point. These are the same led bulbs that my 40" double row light bar uses.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/3156-3157-5W-Cree-W

For my brake/turn signal lights I run the 360* sp60 bulb in red and amber. The colored bulbs give the stock housings a much deeper color tone to them, which is what I was going for, as well as being much brighter than stock bulbs.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/3156-3157LED

The led's you listed will more than likely make you happy for your turn/brake lights because they will be an improvement over stock, but there's no comparison between them and a the reverse bulb I listed. You may call vision X to find out the lumen output of the lights, the sp60 bulbs I listed put out 420 lumens in a 360 pattern, and the reverse crees put out 335 lumens in a focused beam pattern with no negative spots.

Hope that helps you. I may try and take a picture tonight, but it's hard for light pics to come out right at night.
precisioninstal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
multmigs
2003 WJ 

I used a CREE hybrid bulb in the stock housing for the back up light only. Its much brighter and whiter than stock bulbs. Tried the type you listed first and they were actually dimmer.
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Gran_Paradiso
2014 Overland HEMI

2014 WK 

I like those Vision LED's I think I will order the set plus the two amber ones for the front.

Edit: I didn't see the remarks above before my post so Id better look a little further into this.
Gran_Paradiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
CruizinKev
2000 WJ 

I just put these amber 3157 turnsignal LEDs + 6 ohm 50w resistors in my stock tails few weeks ago. love how they blink.

CruizinKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
multmigs
2003 WJ 

The above pic looks like exactly what i bought from here....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360567883036...84.m1439.l2649

I also just bought these
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...sher/924/2275/

for the brake light bulbs since it has this built in strobe effect which i think is going to be great for the brake light function, I'm not sure i know what is meant by using a resister to use same in the turn signal bulbs can anyone clear up how that is done?
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

jackpot, this is EXACTLY the sort of info I was hoping to get. Thanks everyone, keep the feedback coming. I'm already sold on replacing my reverse lights with the ones two of you have mentioned.

Quick question, on our WJs do we need to add resistors when converting to LEDs on all lights or just the flashers?
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
03azwj
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientspear View Post
jackpot, this is EXACTLY the sort of info I was hoping to get. Thanks everyone, keep the feedback coming. I'm already sold on replacing my reverse lights with the ones two of you have mentioned.

Quick question, on our WJs do we need to add resistors when converting to LEDs on all lights or just the flashers?
I just need them for the flashers. I have a full led interior and some of them do stay dimly lit but not sure if resistors would fix that.
3" OME HD springs, Bilstein 5100, JKS adjustable trackbar, Moog SS, IRO UCA'S & LCA'S, 3/4" front and rear spacers, BFG M/T km LT255/75R17, JK Rubicon takeoffs, 8K HIDS Hi's & Lo's. full Rockford Fosgate set-up, blue l.e.d. interior, clumsy driver
03azwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

Can we use any of these flasher sizes in our WJ (link)?

EDIT: I don't think those flashers will work, our part # is 4686094 and has a lot more pins the the ones shown in that link. It's used in a lot of Chrysler vehicles and model years so there must be an equivalent that will let us use LEDs without having to add an in-line resistor.

Last edited by ancientspear; 04-13-2013 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: added part number
Unread 04-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientspear View Post
Can we use any of these flasher sizes in our WJ (link)?
Good catch, so instead of placing in-line resistors, use this?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
MadderThanMax

Does anyone have photos and model type of the flasher relay for LEDs in particular the pin end.

I'd like to brighten my flashers as they appear pretty crap next to the LED brake lights..
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Gran_Paradiso
2014 Overland HEMI

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisioninstal View Post
I'm a dealer for Vision X and Recon, and honestly I will not sell either brand any more because they burn out led's. Just a fair warning to you.

With that being said, Ive been buying mine and referring customers to DDMtuning and haven't had any issues with theirs.

I would not switch reverse bulbs to with the 360* type bulb you listed, there just isn't enough light output compared to a 5w cree bulb. I use these in my stock housings with no tint, they light up about 150' behind the jeep with a width of about 100' at their widest point. These are the same led bulbs that my 40" double row light bar uses.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/3156-3157-5W-Cree-W

For my brake/turn signal lights I run the 360* sp60 bulb in red and amber. The colored bulbs give the stock housings a much deeper color tone to them, which is what I was going for, as well as being much brighter than stock bulbs.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/3156-3157LED

The led's you listed will more than likely make you happy for your turn/brake lights because they will be an improvement over stock, but there's no comparison between them and a the reverse bulb I listed. You may call vision X to find out the lumen output of the lights, the sp60 bulbs I listed put out 420 lumens in a 360 pattern, and the reverse crees put out 335 lumens in a focused beam pattern with no negative spots.

Hope that helps you. I may try and take a picture tonight, but it's hard for light pics to come out right at night.

Did you have any problems with the SP60's in as your brake lights? I bought a couple of inexpensive 45smd LED's to see how it looked and I kept blowing brake light fuses when I pressed the brake.
Gran_Paradiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
precisioninstal

Not at all
precisioninstal is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.