Do I need a new PCM? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Do I need a new PCM?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
wgripp

Do I need a new PCM?

Ladies and Gentlemen,

My WJ is displaying the check engine light and throwing error code P0601. Reasearch has led me to believe the only way this can be fixed is by replacing the PCM. I would rather not do this as it is a $200 fix.

My MPGs have not decreased. My engine seems to be running just as well as before the error code.

Is there any benefit to replacing the PCM besides losing the check engine light?

Can I just pick up a junkyard PCM, or does it need to be professionally reprogrammed with my VIN (or some other crazy stuff)?

Thanks!
Bill

wgripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I did a little research and found many people cure the code by replacing the PCM. I can't really answer your other questions but thought I'd verify what you've found. Being that you have no driveability issues, have you tried disconnecting the battery for a half hour to see if it clears the code? If it comes back, you'll know it's probably there to stay.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
aleet25
2003 WJ 

$200 fix?!?! Where are you finding a new PCM for $200? I had to replace mine(and it does need to be programmed) for $900!
aleet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
uberjon
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleet25 View Post
$200 fix?!?! Where are you finding a new PCM for $200? I had to replace mine(and it does need to be programmed) for $900!
You must think its a dealership only part. I bought mine for like 140 $ from either auto zone or advance auto.
uberjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
perfeng702
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleet25 View Post
I got mine from one of the online refurb places for around $200 also. Comes with a lifetime warranty. Just have to give them your vin and mileage so they can program it.
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
HOSTED67
1996 ZJ 

If the car runs fine and you do not have emission inspections in your area than I say it's up to you to decide if it's worth it to replace it. Personnaly, I would drive it, but I don't like working on my own cars unless I have to.
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
Jersey4Jeeps
2003 WJ 

2003 WJ here - same code, my check engine light came on 14 mo. ago and after 16K miles still runs perfect.

AutoZone report said internal fault - ECM unable to communicate on the SPI line
probable causes:
-shorted input sensor
-shorted electrical circuit
-failed ECM

not sure what those things mean or if they can be diagnosed and fixed without replacing the PCM. others care to chime in. thanks!
Jersey4Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
wgripp

Jersey4Jeeps,

Shorted input sensor and electrical circut sound much easier to fix than the whole PCM!
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
wgripp

Jersey4Jeeps, whats your MPG? I dont drive on the highway, and typically get 15 or so.
Unread 06-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
JoeFaz
1999 WJ 

I'm wondering the same thing. (Needing a PCM). I have this incessant erratic idle problem. I have had all the sensors which could possibly effect the idle changed, and it still happens. My go-to mechanic is at a loss (and he's a LONG TIME Jeep only guy), says there are gremlins in the electrical system that he simply can not locate/eradicate. As an aside, I changed the oil sending unit as I would ocassionally get a "0 pressure" reading. Bad unit, broke apart when removed. NOW...I get a "P0523" code (sending unit problem)! AND I STILL have this awful idle problem with no codes at all related to any other sensors or idle issues!

OK, I guess I'm just venting, but this is driving me crazy. Anyone interested in a '99 loaded, gorgeous GC Limited with 67K?
JoeFaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
Jersey4Jeeps
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgripp View Post
Jersey4Jeeps, whats your MPG? I dont drive on the highway, and typically get 15 or so.
consistently get 17 on both 2003 and 1998 str. 6
Jersey4Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.