DIY Bump Stops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > DIY Bump Stops

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 05-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
fizzer
1999 WJ 

DIY Bump Stops

So im going to be installing my lift next week and was thing about extending my bump stops, but im not trying to dish out $100 bux for peices of rubber. I tried looking on here for DIY bump stops but didnt come across anything other than sum ppl saying you can use hockey pucks. How do i do this, and if any of you know of a thread that will help me out please post.

fizzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
240impala
2003 WJ 

its not rubber they are metal but I dont blame you they can be expensive you could cut hockey pucks and cut them out around the base of the part that bolts up on the frame match the bolt pattern and drill some holes and get some longer bolts. the back are in the coil springs I guess you could cut circle out and put them on the old ones. I hope you can understand this Im just thinking about them in my head lol. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wj-slow-but-getting-there-1153271/[/url]

IRO 6.5" lift, IRO Front long arms, rear iro adj upper a arm and adj rear lower, custom 4x4 fab front bumper, rough country winch, 15" crager soft 8's, procomp 35-12.50 tire, fenders trimmed KOR light bar, malone roof rack
240impala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
fizzer
1999 WJ 

yeah tats what i was thinking, how would you cut the pucks?
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
AGDubyaJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

chop saw, band saw, maybe even a sawzall if thats all you have.
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
MGDWJ
2004 WJ 

you want them for the front or rear
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
fizzer
1999 WJ 

more for the front but might as well make em for both since it would be really cheap.
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
MGDWJ
2004 WJ 

i have 2by4 square tube for my bump stop extensions and so far they are working good so far. as far as the rear you can get some pieces of round tubing cut it to the length you wish and weld a washer on top and bolt it to the coil bucket. i can take some picks tomorrow (its to dark now to be able to see it)
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
fizzer
1999 WJ 

yeah that would be great really appreciate it.
Unread 05-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
r_kelly252
2001 WJ 

yeah def post up a pic to help us out, i dont know how i let this one slip by me but i did. pieced out my lift, installing it in.... less than 12 hours. teraflex 4" coils with bilstein 5125's. Now im pretty sure IRO 3" kits dont include bumpstops and rustys 2.5" kit doesnt include them. now i know 2.5" and 3" is still less than the 4 or 4.5" im gonna get with mine. but how important are these bumpstops if i have NO wheeling planned in the next 5 months with this thing?
just some good old Maine roads with under funded roadwork "fixes" and frost heaves from the last 13 years on unimproved roadways? anyone else live in the sticks of maine know what im talking bout?
my wifes civic gets eaten whole by some of these critters (2" drop on an already low 3" ground clearence doesnt leave much room under there)

How hard is it to install these damn things after the lift? probly not worth the time to do it twice huh?
Thanks again JF
r_kelly252 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
MGDWJ
2004 WJ 

The front.
the rear
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
fizzer
1999 WJ 

looks good, what exactly did you use for the rear was it a hollow piece of round tubing like the front? If so wouldn't the bumpstop just fall into it
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #12
MGDWJ
2004 WJ 

Piece of pipe and welded a thick washer to both sides.
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #13
fizzer
1999 WJ 

thanks alot man you just saved me a buttload of money, gonna go get the supplies this weekend and work on it. Will post my end result when done. Also do you remember the diameter of the tubing for the rear im thinking about 2" you think thats along the right lines?
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #14
MGDWJ
2004 WJ 

Ill het my calipers on it tomorrow and give you a measurement.
Unread 05-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
tsconver
2003 WJ 

I did something similar for the front, I put two pieces of 1.5" sq tubing together and made them the length of the extension i needed, then added longer bolts. I put mine on end versus on the side. You really do not need rear ones if you never disconnect the rear.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.