Disabling car alarm help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Disabling car alarm help

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 01-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
JDReed

Disabling car alarm help

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and recently lost my key less entry. Now every time I unlock my car with just the key the alarm goes off. Any advice in fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

JDReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Try this (found in the owners manual):

Quote:
SECURITY ALARM SYSTEM — IF EQUIPPED
This system monitors the vehicle doors, liftgate, liftgate flipper glass, and ignition for unauthorized operation. When the alarm is activated, the system provides both audible and visual signals. The horn will sound repeatedly for three minutes and the headlights and taillights will flash for an additional 15 minutes.

To Set the Alarm
The alarm will set when you use the remote keyless entry transmitter to lock the doors and liftgate or when you use the power door lock switch while the door is open. After all the doors are locked and closed, a red light on top of the instrument panel will flash rapidly for about 16 seconds to signal that the system is arming. During this 16 second pre-arm period, opening any door or the liftgate will cancel the arming. If the system successfully arms, the red light will flash at a slower rate to indicate the alarm is set.

To Disarm the System
To disarm the system, use the remote keyless entry transmitter or the key to unlock the driver’s door. If something has triggered the system in your absence, the horn will sound three times when you unlock the doors. Check the vehicle for tampering.

The Security Alarm System is designed to protect your vehicle; however, you can create conditions where the system will arm unexpectedly. If you remain in the vehicle and lock the doors with the transmitter, once the system is armed (after 16 seconds), when you pull the door handle to exit the alarm will sound. If this occurs, press the “Unlock” button on the remote keyless entry transmitter to disarm the system. You may also accidentally disarm the system by unlocking the driver’s door with the key and then locking it. The door will be locked but the Security Alarm will not arm.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

I have bought 3 WJ's so far, '01, '02, and my present '03, and all had come with two sets of the keyless entry units. One black and one gray. After unlocking the door, you should be able to tun off the alarm by starting he engine and letting the keyless entry system recognize the key chip.
One option is to go buy a new, or used, keyless entry unit and having it programmed.
I know that you can program extra keys without a dealer, but I am not sure about the keyless entry unit.
Good luck.
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
SoCal812
1999 WJ 

wait a few seconds before you open the door. mine only dose it if i open it to fast.
SoCal812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Kevinm2467

I thought you could turn it off on the overhead instrument panel. I don't have transmitters for mine either. But I did find out if you hit the lock button twice on inside drives door panel that it will arm the alarm. I had a new key cut at lowes yesterday for 75.00
Kevinm2467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinm2467
I thought you could turn it off on the overhead instrument panel. I don't have transmitters for mine either. But I did find out if you hit the lock button twice on inside drives door panel that it will arm the alarm. I had a new key cut at lowes yesterday for 75.00
Did they just cut the key, or did they program it too? You DO know that you can program a third key without going to the stealership. Just get it cut (I can't imagine being charged $75 just to cut a key). It's been awhile since I did it, but you put in the first key, turn to just before start, then tun off, do the same with the 2nd key, then do the same with the 3rd key and it will program. You can search the internet for the procedure, in case I am wrong.

I ALWAYS just lock my driver's side door once, when I get out, and the alarm is armed. Works for any door, rear window, or lift gate.
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

It may seem tedious, but to prevent it from arming you can:

After shutting it off, hit the lock button to lock doors.

Open driver door.

Manually lock driver door without using power lock button and get out.

Close door.

Note: You must disable "Unlock doors on exit" or when you open the door all doors will unlock.

I had to do this for a week when I lost my remote, it's a pain but it did keep my neighbors from killing me when I had to leave at two a.m.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.