Differential Problems Black Fluid, Metal shavings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Differential Problems Black Fluid, Metal shavings

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

Differential Problems Black Fluid, Metal shavings

Well the title says it all pretty much, I brought my WJ to the dealer because I was hearing a Humming on deceleration and knew it had to be somewhere in drivetrain because all my other junk is new. Also had a vac leak, which they found and fixed for like 25 bucks! But anyways, they said the fluid is black, and metal shavings were found on magnet, and one of the axle seals is leaking. What do you think, replace the fluid (flush it also), and let it ride. OR rip apart the front end and try to rebuild it/replace seals. OR Replace the whole axle. I am not the most experienced with internals of the diffs, but could make it through, and I really want to go as cheap as possible (don't we all?)

What do you guys think?

OH the humming comes and goes as well, and really isn't all that noticeable.

2008 KK 3.7L V6
Mods: None, Yet

Past: 1996 XJ 4.0 I6, 1998 ZJ 4.0 I6, 2001 WJ 4.7 V8, 2005 KJ Renegade 3.7 V6
bradbb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

It's probably your pinion bearings. If you were closer I'd give you a hand with it. Not too hard to do.
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

What kind of time is involved?

2008 KK 3.7L V6

Unread 01-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Well, in the driveway with hand tools? 5 hrs maybe. On a hoist with air tools. 2 hrs. You obviously need to take apart the whole front end. Tires off, brakes off, slide axles out, take cover off, take driveshaft off. Then you are down to just the diff work.
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Or you could just change the fluid and then top it off every 3 months or so. That's what I've been doing on my ZJ's Dana 30 for about 30,000 miles...it's turning over 200k in about a week.

Not that I'm opposed to fixing it...just that vehicles do eventually die and I always feel bad for the people who put so much time and money in only to have it completely explode a month later. So, major fixes sometimes just aren't worth the time when you really don't have any major symptoms or problems.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Or you could just change the fluid and then top it off every 3 months or so. That's what I've been doing on my ZJ's Dana 30 for about 30,000 miles...it's turning over 200k in about a week.

Not that I'm opposed to fixing it...just that vehicles do eventually die and I always feel bad for the people who put so much time and money in only to have it completely explode a month later. So, major fixes sometimes just aren't worth the time when you really don't have any major symptoms or problems.
Kinda what I was thinking about doing for now, stay away from big bucks and just top it off at every oil change.

2008 KK 3.7L V6

Unread 01-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Blue04WJ
2004 WJ 

Hey 88-

Since you seem to know about diffs in these things, I am also having hum on decel only when cold....once car warms up it goes away) I also am having a vibe (almost like the fluttering you get when one back window is down) at 55MPH under very light throttle ....let off and it goes away) and also a loud whine at 75ish. Does this sound like pinion to you as well? These problems (except decel vibe) are consistent through hot/cold temps.

dealer has said its normal drivetrain noise for a WJ but i am about to drop it off again (still under 7/70)
Blue04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
88yjproject
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue04WJ View Post
Hey 88-

Since you seem to know about diffs in these things, I am also having hum on decel only when cold....once car warms up it goes away) I also am having a vibe (almost like the fluttering you get when one back window is down) at 55MPH under very light throttle ....let off and it goes away) and also a loud whine at 75ish. Does this sound like pinion to you as well? These problems (except decel vibe) are consistent through hot/cold temps.

dealer has said its normal drivetrain noise for a WJ but i am about to drop it off again (still under 7/70)
How's your fluid? Is it the corect fluid? Have you checked your u-joints to see if they are loose at all? Pinion noise would not be at just 75 or around it. If the bearing is bad you would hear it all the time. In most cases.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.