Difference in Front Axles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Difference in Front Axles

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
sf_indiana
1999 WJ 

Difference in Front Axles

1999 Cherokee Laredo.
Does anyone know the differences between full time and part time front axles in the 1999 Cherokee, length diameter ans so on excluding track-loc and vari-loc?
This is related to this post.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/.../#post12569393

sf_indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
BigBeefy
2004 WJ 

The full time and part time refers to the transfer case. in part time the TC locks front and rear drive shafts together. In fulltime, the drive shafts are not locked together.
I am not aware of a full time and part time axle.
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
speedjunky1
2000 WJ 

I hope that this is the help you need. I just changed one of mine yesterday. 2000 4.7 GC Select Trac. The Vari-loc axle are about an inch longer and both are 27 spline.
speedjunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
sf_indiana
1999 WJ 

To further explain Advance Auto lists axles for "full time" and "part time". That is where the terminology came from. There must be a difference between the select-trac (part time) and quadra- trac (full time).

Mine is full time, I have been speculating someone may have put a shorter axle in it, renderer the front differential inoperative.
It would be nice to know the difference in axles and what effect it would have putting the part time( select-trac) axle in a full time (quadra- trac) application.
I won't be able to work on it till later this week so I am exploring some possibilities.
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

No there is a difference between Quaddra-Trac and Quaddra Drive axles. On the QD models, there are Vari-lok axles, which as speedjunkie mentioned are about an inch longer.

I would think if the wrong axles were put in (too short of an axle) that it would just drop in the tube rather than sit in the differential.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
sf_indiana
1999 WJ 

How about select-trac are they shorter or longer than Quadra-trac?
Unread 11-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

They are the same. Only the vari-loc axles are different length. Lets answer this a few more times.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
BreadsWJ
2002 WJ 

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCkeDuDe View Post
They are the same. Only the vari-loc axles are different length. Lets answer this a few more times.
LMFAO!!!

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/wj-grand-cherokee-lift-parts-much-more-1341973/#post13225037[/url]

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/grand-cherokee-wj-overland-rock-rails-roof-rack-cross-rails-1351259/[/url]

"He who seeks knowledge, begins with humbleness" - Anon
BreadsWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
rockcrawlernut
2004 WJ 

Very well put!!
[/CENTER][/SIZE][/FONT]

[CENTER][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-rock-dog-1284108/"]*--->Rockcrawlernut's Build Thread<---*[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
rockcrawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #10
sf_indiana
1999 WJ 

Without any mention of selec-trac I don't think it was answered.
Thanks for your warm welcome the the forum!
According the parts listing @ Advanced Auto there is a difference. Could it be the number of splines then?

At the bottom of this post the guy talks about getting vari-loc shafts and installing them only to strip the end off. That does not sound possible if it were too long but rather too short. There is plenty of information on this forum , but it is not all in agreement.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...blems-1143074/

Last edited by sf_indiana; 11-28-2011 at 03:16 AM..
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #11
FirefightinWJ
2004 WJ 

There are two axles put in WJs. A Dana 30 with an open differential and one with varilok. The varilok is only found in vehicles that have a Quadradrive system. All others have the open diffs.
32" BFG M/Ts on JK 17's

-Devin
FirefightinWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #12
HLawton
1999 WJ 

Let me answer because I got caught with this dilemma last weekend. I'm assuming that Advance Auto uses a computer system similar to Autozone's (where I got caught). If so, then the computer or online system only gives you the choice of "part-time" or "full-time" when selecting front axle shafts (aside from drive-side or passenger-side). The problem is they don't differentiate between the two full-time systems of Quadra Trac II (open diffs) and Quadra Drive (Vari-lock).

The axle shafts for Vari-lock (listed in the computer as the "full-time" axles) are 1" longer than then axles for open diffs (listed as "part-time" axles, but also are used in the Quadra Trac II WJ's).

If you have Select Trac or Quadra Trac, then the axles sold are either the correct length or 1" too long. There is no way you could have the proper Jeep WJ CV axle shafts that are too short.

If I remember correctly, the passenger side axle shaft for a non-Vari-lock WJ is 40 1/8" long.

Edit: I also read through the link you provided. If you are referring to the last poster in that thread, I'm suspect of what he mentioned. If he tried to install Vari-lock axles in a open diff then there's no way the bearing would have bolted back on.

Last edited by HLawton; 11-28-2011 at 07:56 AM..
HLawton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #13
roach68
1999 WJ 

I've got a passenger side shaft at home from a Quadradrive with Vari-lok that I will measure later this evening. I bought mine from autozone.com and if I remember right they list W/Vari-loks and W/O on the website.
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
sf_indiana
1999 WJ 

I had a chance to pull off my differential cover and found that the left axle did not turn the spider gears. I could see the end of the axle on the right side but could not see the end of the axle on the left side. This means it has broke and came out of the gear (which I doubt) or it was too short to engage the gear. It would seem there is not enough room for it to break and then side out past the remaining shaft, but I could be wrong.
It's weird, but like I said someone has had it apart before and who knows what was installed. I'll try to get the axle out before I go the the parts store, I want to know for sure what is going on.
Thanks for your help guy and for the sarcastic remarks, well I hope you enjoy looking like jerks.

Last edited by sf_indiana; 11-28-2011 at 04:58 PM..
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

You need command-trac axle shafts.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.