Difference between WJ rear driveshafts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Difference between WJ rear driveshafts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 06-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
abposromcath
2004 WJ 

Wj Difference between WJ rear driveshafts

I picked up two rear driveshafts from junk WJ's and was wondering what the difference between the two was? The shafts seem identical, just the yokes are different. Any help would be appreciated so I don't install the wrong one, thanks!

abposromcath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I believe the difference is the t-case it comes out of. The one on the left is like mine, which has the 242 t-case. Have you looked up on wjjeeps at all?

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
javis4x4
2001 WJ 

image-925134154.jpg

Mine is out of a 247 quadradrive T/C.
javis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

So the question is, what tcase do you have in yours?

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 06-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
javis4x4
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro
So the question is, what tcase do you have in yours?
I agree.
javis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
devinci

The difference could be the spline counts as well. I've been doing a bit of research as I might be putting QD axles into my 4.0L with the 242.

*EDIT* this may not be correct, I will edit again when I find the actual spline counts:
The 242HD and the 247 transfer cases were a 32 spline output shaft where the regular 242 was only a 27 spline output.

I'm trying to find someone who had the same setup as I do (242 and Dana 35 rear) and swapped in a QD Dana 44a. I don't know how the rear drive shafts will fit.
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

But what about taking the drive shafts apart at the u joints? Use the actual shaft you need, as it bolts to the pinion by way of the u-joint, and using the yoke you need, by way of again, u-joint. The only issue would be is that if using the new combination would work length wise. Would it require a shorter or longer drive shaft with the 44a than with the 35? and what are the measurements of the two center to center of the u-joints? Taking it a step further, who's to say you couldn't use the a drive shaft from a ZJ or XJ if it uses the same u-joint and is the right length? It is after all, just a driveshaft with a slip-yoke at one end and the slip-yoke is what has to be the proper one spline count wise.

Unread 06-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
abposromcath
2004 WJ 

Thanks for the replies! After closer inspection, the shaft lengths are different so I will need to measure them. The yokes are both for 27 spline TC. I have a 4.0L with the 247 TC and am planning on switching to QD axles. I currently have a D35 in the rear but have already pulled a D44a to replace it. I will let you know which one fits when I'm finally able to finish replacing it. After what devinci said, it looks like I might need to use the yoke from my old DS and attach it to the correct length DS for the D44a. Thanks for the help guys!
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
devinci

Quote:
Originally Posted by abposromcath View Post
Thanks for the replies! After closer inspection, the shaft lengths are different so I will need to measure them. The yokes are both for 27 spline TC. I have a 4.0L with the 247 TC and am planning on switching to QD axles. I currently have a D35 in the rear but have already pulled a D44a to replace it. I will let you know which one fits when I'm finally able to finish replacing it. After what devinci said, it looks like I might need to use the yoke from my old DS and attach it to the correct length DS for the D44a. Thanks for the help guys!
I may have been wrong. I have seen elsewhere that the only TC with 32 splines is the 242HD. The 247 and 242LD both have 27.

or so I've read.....

Someone please chime in to confirm or correct me.
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

As long as the yokes are the same length, married with the right rear shaft, and the t-case ends about the same point, it you should be able to marry it up nicely.

Unread 06-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
abposromcath
2004 WJ 

Unread 06-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
devinci

Quote:
Originally Posted by abposromcath View Post
Same spline count correct?

I will be swapping in my QD axles into my 4.0L/242LD/dana35 in the next couple weeks hopefully.

A user on here "ezflip" said that when he swapped in a 242LD TC into his WJ with the dana44 in the rear. He was able to use the rear DS from the same WJ he got the 242LD from (it had a dana 35). He mentioned that the boot on the DS was stretched a bit but he ran that DS hard and it held up fine.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/247-242ld-1539021/
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #13
r_kelly252
2001 WJ 

i have done the varilok swap on mine as well. 4.0L 242tc and a 44a from quadra drive.
when i swapped the axle i also added an IRO lower adj control arms as well as their 3 link A arm that eliminates that junk ball joint jeep used on the axle housing.
i bought new u joints and kept the driveshaft from the 44a axle thinking i needed this one. so i swapped the u joints for new ones and went to install the 247/44a drive shaft and it was too short or too long. one or the other i forget. so i had to undo that and put them in my 242/35 drive shaft. i ended up using that drive shaft anyway. so no need to worry about spline count really....maybe it was just in my scenario where i had 4" lift (netted me 5" really) adj arms pushing the axle back a bit and even that a arm helped set it back in the wheel well. but i used the 242/35 (stock) drive shaft that came in my laredo. you can see where it is pulling away from the splined output shaft on the transfer side but not enough to be scared.
Hope this helps you guys out. any more swap questions feel free to pm me. it is pretty straight forward after figuring this part out.

Edit: just to clarify, the yoke/pinion on the 44a is closer to the transfer than the 35 pinion/yoke is.
r_kelly252 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

From the OP, I believe the one on the left is from a 242 (external slip yoke) and the one on the right is from a 247 (internal slip yoke and slightly shorter).

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

WJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!

Grand Cherokee General Discussion Holiday Giveaway
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.