JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Diagnosing a oscillating sound, think it's coming from the front. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/diagnosing-oscillating-sound-think-its-coming-front-1591249/)

HiPERnx 09-16-2013 07:25 AM

Diagnosing a oscillating sound, think it's coming from the front.

Hello!

I have had this sound/noise for a week or two, i have changed my rear wheel bearings, but the sound was there bore and was still there after (the sound was not the reason i changed rear wheel bearings).

The sound is oscillating, it wasn't there a month ago, and the oscillating is increasing in frequency with the speed of the vehicle. Listen to the youtube clip. You can only hear the sound at speeds above 20 mph.

Think it's coming from the front, can't find any play in the wheel bearings.

Ideas what the source of the sound can be?

rdkendrick 09-16-2013 07:31 AM

I can hear it. It sounds like the tire wear I used to have with some bad tires. Are you sure it's not the tires? Maybe rotate just to be sure?

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

HiPERnx 09-16-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdkendrick (Post 16045241)
I can hear it. It sounds like the tire wear I used to have with some bad tires. Are you sure it's not the tires? Maybe rotate just to be sure?

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

The tires have 4-6 mm of thread, but can try rotating them.

The sound can best be heard in the end of the video when i go downhill.

spud2388 09-16-2013 08:49 AM

my money is on the tires as well

HiPERnx 09-20-2013 05:35 AM

I have now rotated the tires, but the sound is still there :( can it be drive shaft or axle shaft ?
The sound seems to oscillate to slow to be drive shaft to me :S

Jeepwagons 09-20-2013 05:39 AM

That is tires! If you have a spare rotate out one of the wheels at a time to isolate the offender.

JTS97Z28 09-20-2013 06:11 AM

My vote goes to tires as well. Sounds like you have monster truck tires on that thing haha. Put both front tires in back and see what happens. If it still does it then my second vote goes to a very bad front wheel hub bearing. Those are super easy to change out too.
Let us know what happens.

HiPERnx 09-26-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
My vote goes to tires as well. Sounds like you have monster truck tires on that thing haha. Put both front tires in back and see what happens. If it still does it then my second vote goes to a very bad front wheel hub bearing. Those are super easy to change out too. Let us know what happens.

I swaped the wheels front to back and back to front. The sound is still conning from the front. I checked my wheel hub bearings, but there was no play at all. Can it still be the bearings ? Or can my ring an pinion be damaged ? :(

JTS97Z28 09-26-2013 03:22 PM

Yes it can absolutely still be bearings. Just because there is no play does not rule out a bearing. Infact, every bad wheel bearing I have dealt with had little to no play at all. I just swapped out the front wheel hub bearing on my 02 Overland and it fixed my speed related sqweek/chirp sound I had coming from the front left. New bearing was cheap, and install was a breeze.

nolimitssjca 09-26-2013 03:27 PM

Check the cable that runs past your front axle to the transfer case. It may may have pulled loose from it's mount and be rubbing. If so, mount it back (zippy tie) and see if that works.

nickblack 09-26-2013 07:43 PM

Could also be your differential bearings. Does it stay the same when coasting or accelerating?

HiPERnx 09-29-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Yes it can absolutely still be bearings. Just because there is no play does not rule out a bearing. Infact, every bad wheel bearing I have dealt with had little to no play at all. I just swapped out the front wheel hub bearing on my 02 Overland and it fixed my speed related sqweek/chirp sound I had coming from the front left. New bearing was cheap, and install was a breeze.

I'll try to changed my front hubs when I got the $$ :) they are not so cheap in Sweden, I'm really exited for the EU-US trade alliance (cheaper jeep part for me ) .
When I change hubs i will look in the diff and se if I can se any wear on the bearings or gears :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickblack
Could also be your differential bearings. Does it stay the same when coasting or accelerating?

The noise is all the time, but the sound is more noticeable while coasting. But it can be just my brain. Since I don't have the engine rawr while coasting I react to the noise more.

The time now is 01:59 AM.