Is death wobble likely or common? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is death wobble likely or common?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
brinoff

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is death wobble likely or common?

I may be buying a 2000 WJ. Some trusted local shops have told me that the WJ will have incurable death wobble when lifted. I am beginning to doubt my purchase.

What is the likelihood of death wobble with a 2"BB vs. 4" lift?

This Jeep will spend much of its time on the interstate from trail to trail.

Thanks

93YJ 4.0 I6, AX-15, NP231 Teraflex SYE, Tom Wood Drive Shaft, G2 D44 ARB, ARB locked 30, T&T customs axle trusses, ProComp 35" Mud Terrain, RE SD 4" Lift, Daystar 1" BL, Harbor Freight 8000 Winch, Swing Away Tire Carrier, and some other stuff.
brinoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
docster
2002 WJ 

search....you will learn the truth....hint: dont listen to shops if you lift properly.
Unread 05-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Devbear12
1995 YJ Wrangler 

death wobble is much debated. I personally think with a heavy duty steering link, good shocks, proffesional alignment, and stay away from 12.50 inch or wider tires you wont have a problem. if you want 33's bfg makes an awsome 10.50. as far as the lift goes the higher you go the more angles that are not right. unless you reengineer your entire suspension we are all subject to death wobble.
Devbear12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

DW is more pronounced the more worn out your suspension is.

Ball joints, tie rod ends (and drag link ends), trackbar bushings, toe alignment, and wheel balancing all can cause DW. Other small things like worn out control arm bushings can be the straw that breaks the camels back and pushes you over from drivable to DW city.

A properly maintained suspension won't have DW.
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
rostig1
1999 WJ 

I too was a little worried about DW before I lifted. I got under my jeep and made sure all the bushings, ball joints and steering components were in "ok" shape. Everything looked good except my steering stabilizer. It was/is shot. I lifted it took it for a drive and had nothing. Drove just as good as before. My jeep has 171k on the odometer and everything but the lift components are original to the jeep. I have noticed a little bumpsteer. Nothing to bad though

I guess it just depends on what day of the week yours was built. I got lucky mine must have been a middle of the week build.
rostig1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
n666z

I'm definitely gonna get a new steering stabilizer when I lift cause mines on it's way out.
n666z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #7
alwaysHI
2003 WJ 

Just start prepping by checking everything before your lift comes in. Might as well do everything possible while your in there.
For example, you can easily check tie rods and ball joints by lifting the WJ off the ground, and trying to shake the tire. If it doesnt move it doesnt mean your in perfect condition, but it means all is well. If it does have play in it, somethings worn.
alwaysHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
jmdwork
2001 WJ 

What the others said. I just installed my lift this past weekend (OME HD springs, Bilsteins, adjustable track bar, etc.). Came out to about 3" of lift. We took our time, made sure everything was properly installed and tightened etc. We were running late into Saturday night so I ran out of time to install the new steering stabilizer. Since then I have not had time to install it or to get an alignment. So far, I have had it on a short, mild trail run and repeatedly have had it up at highway speed, and only have had one very minor instance of steering "chatter." With that said, this weekend I intend to install the new steering stabilizer, get an alignment, and recheck everything. Good luck.
jmdwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.