DEATH WOBBLE! Help pleas - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > DEATH WOBBLE! Help pleas

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #16
FedUp007
2004 WJ 

Tires balanced and with the correct PSI in them, not what the tire says on the side... TRE's and Draglink ends... switch'em out for new ones... Moog is the way to go... then re-align... Trust me. I JUST went thru this for the past month diagnosing and fixing everything myself... make sure that trackbar is good an tight as well to the right torque... You may also look into the KOR extra hard bushings instead of the bushings that may have come with the adj track bar you have...

Unread 11-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #17
brettalmon13
1999 WJ 

So the guy at the alignment shop told me that an all terrain tire would get rid of the death wobble, he said my Mts are very worn and unevenly. He had already balanced them too. I found some 31s that are an all terrain (Wild Country Radial TXRs) that are evenly worn and a good price. Does anyone think that an all terrain like this would get rid of the DW.
Apparently he said on his 95' grand cherokee he did everything I have, then put all terrains on and it solved the problem.....
brettalmon13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
SkipStr
2000 WJ 

There are a lot of factors that will contribute to DW. Tires, tire pressure, stabilizers, shocks, alignment angles, all can make DW worse but that are not the cause.
Ultimately something in your front steering or suspension is loose or has play. The best way to check the steering is to have someone move the steering wheel side to side with the wheels on the ground. Start at pitman arm and work your way around looking and even feeling each joint. Make sure that you donít have excessive play in your steering from a worn box. Watch your control arm bushing for weakness. The most common item that would cause DW after installing a lift is a loose track bar. If you think its tight Ö.tighten it some more. Worn and mushy track bar bushings can also allow side-to-side movement. After you have gone through all of that and youíre sure everything is tight, move on to your ball joints. Jack up one side at a time. Watch the ball joints while you have someone try to move the wheel pushing on the top while pulling on the bottom and vice versa. Any of parts that are even remotely questionable should be replaced.
The last places to check are the mounting points for the track bar and steering box at the body. Weakness and cracks there seem to be the source of most of the hard solve DW problems.
So this is my long way of saying that tires will not solve DW. They may lessen the symptoms but ultimately the reason you are getting DW is that something is allowing side to side movement of your front diff. Find that and your problem will be solved

Skip
SkipStr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
metalhead
2000 WJ 

I am a mechanic at a jeep dealership and I can tell you that the wranglers I have worked on that have mud terrain tires ride funny.Especially when they are worn unevenly. As far as death wobble its a possibility. I would never buy used tires and unless you are doing serious offroading and rock crawling mud terrain tires are not really necessary. A good all terrain tire will get you through anything as long as you know how to drive properly in the conditions you are in. I had death wobble with a 3 inch lift and balancing my tires and getting a moog super trail boss steering stabilizer cured my death wobble. I run falken rocky mountain at's a great tire.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
r_kelly252
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckenney View Post
Adj. Upper Control arms to set caster. Stiffer track bar bushings from KOR. Would be a start. Proper alignment by 4WD shop who specializes in lifted vehicles.

Dealership completely messed my alignment bad. I did 3" lift, i set my track bar to stock just as a reference. They didn't adjust it at all. It was something like an inch and a half off on the loose side. Allowing DW to occur.
To the OP and anyone who has this same question. Ill sum it up for you in one post. hopefully future members use the search and find this post.

Death wobble sucks.... all who have had it hate it, and all who have yet to experience it pray they don't ever experience it.
you make a list of everything that could possibly give you death wobble on a scale 1-10. 1 being greatest dw factor 10 being a less dw factor.
start by looking at your rig on what is lose what is tight. if you have a second person/helper to turn the wheel left and right while your under your jeep that's a help. you get to see the whole axle shift left to right under stress/load if the track bar bushings are bad, or worse if the bolt hole on the axle where the track bar mounts is oblong'd/oval'd out a bit. my helper (the wife, although a 12 year old might have been more help with a lil less *****ing) was able to do this for me and i was able to notice real quick that during my last alignment (or maybe me, but I'm blaming the alignment people) the had the outer tie rod on the drag link threaded to far out and the pitman arm side in way to far. causing too little of threads on the knuckle/tire side so under stress/load when turning i could watch the tie rod buckle because it wasn't threaded into the sleeve enough. the alignment guys just adjusted the drag link until the wheel was straight again, not really caring or thinking that there wasn't enough rod in the sleeve.

1. tie rod ends. I have had the nastiest dw known to man... (maybe, but at 20mph an expansion joint on a concrete bridge on a backroad in Maine...dw till i was under 10mph.) it takes awhile to go 30 mile commute at 20mph.
just by switching out to new tie rods i got a couple weeks/month of dw free driving as long as i was 35mph and under.

2. track bar/track bar bushings if your track bar isn't tightened up its going to allow shimmy of the whole front axle left to right all while the vehicle stays straight. same with the bushings. How old is the lift... track bar...bushings?
it might only allow 1/2" of play but with the force multiplier of 4200lbs moving at 40mph and 70lbs of rotating tire on either side... thats when you feel the dw start and then just goes faster and faster till its to late.

3. castor angle/alignment. i feel that castor angle is less important than the other 2 listed above due to i had installed my lift (terraflex coils 4", but netted me 5.5" oddly enough, bilsteins 5100 rusty track bar factory uca and factory lca) had it aligned and was at 3.75 castor angle. never knew what dw felt like. installed iro adj uca/lca was at 4.25 castor. still no dw. just lucky i guess. did my varilok axle swap. DW LIKE A MOFO. still at 4.25 castor. same tie rods and track bar as with the factory open d30? still dont know what happened. from that point on ive been on the search for the "ultimate dw cure" now i'am at 6* positive castor on short arms. an i do have front driveline vibes..however that's also because I need a front pinion bearing and front drive shaft balanced. but that's in the spring when my open diff goes back in with an aussie and a new TW drive shaft)

4. bushings. look at any and all your bushings/bolts. maybe also while your helper is cranking the steering wheel left to right. the upper control arm mount on the axle. that ear in which the control arm bolts to. that is one common place that people overlook as well. those bushings do break down. not as common enough to be more important than tire ( as covered below) but still bushings should never be overlooked and are more important than tire size/pressure/balance

5. Ball joints/wheel bearings. just like tie rods ball joints are up there as well. if they are worn or loose they will allow tires to flop/wobble individually of each other. wheel bearings as well.

6. Properly balanced tires. unbalanced tires is hard to figure out if that is more or less important than tie rods or alignment when a set of unbalanced tires can def set off dw at just the right speeds, not even a bump steer to help. just an all out straight shot 50mph cruise ...then it happens. i get your tires re-balanced. then look at each one. look to see which 2 have the least amount of weight on them. those should be your #1 choice to go upfront. hopefully you have two that have the exact same size weight on them. those go on the front. tires with less weight/weights means that they are more naturally perfect. some tires do not even need weight to balance. had a set one hankook dynopro atm, loved those tires (for an All terrain tire) 3 of the 4 did not need any weight to balance them. now it didn't mean they were dead nuts balanced. just too little of weight to matter.

7. Tire pressure. yeah believe it or not tire pressure does play a role. if your tires are pumped rock hard to 50psi so you can get that extra mpg out of your wj... air them down a bit to help absorb some of the wobble/ bump steer that starts the dw. i was "that guy" with 50psi in my 255/75/17 rubi take off BFG MT trying to maximize my mpgs. (btw 20 hwy by my calc not the computer evic thing) im now down to 28 psi on all four

I guess this list really might not need an 8, 9 an 10 to it but you get the idea. also look at what kit you bought?? did you get the rough country 4" kit that includes a track bar drop bracket and drop pitman arm? or piece together your lift like i did?
it is also important that your drag link (linkage from pitman arm to pass. knuckle) and trackbar remain somewhat parallel and somewhat level. not a huge 45* angle. I recently purchased IRO steering equlizer kit. that dropped my adj trackbar down 2 or 3 inches. i forget i didnt measure really. and also a drop pitman arm which is the biggest offered for a WJ i think its a 4" drop on that bad boy. between that product, a rough country dual steering stabilizer a new alignment with my castor as close to stock (6 degrees now) all new moog tie rods moog ball joints and also just like TCKENNY said Kevins off road new trackbar bushings super durometer like 90 durometer bushings... def recomended IF yours are worn. if not then dont bother yet. unless your like me and just going to dump your wallet out to fix the dw. but heres a youtube vid to def check out
I know this post is super long but ALOT of good info honestly from someone who has used this forum to chase down my dw. from someone who used the search and said all the same things your saying " tie rods ball joints bushings...its all tight" i kept asking the forum to solve my problem. i still cant quite pinpoint what fixed my dw but i spent almost $1k tracking it down. from everything on that list above i started with brand new.

Edit: wow i just read the whole post. should have did that before posting. but i just had alot of thought going on that i felt needed to be put down for others to think about as well as others in the future THAT DO use the search function.
funny how everything i covered has been mentioned. yeah sorry i didn't find this thread earlier. could saved some time for others as well. no im not saying im an expert but.. i did just finally cure my dw.
and all the other posts on this thread are all things i have had to do myself.
Also that list someone posted from iron rock is a good list. pdf format... print it and grab a beer and go over it while your under the wj
GOOD LUCK and thats what the forum is for. let us know when your good to go, dont just let this thread die out like 90% of them do
r_kelly252 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #21
FedUp007
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_kelly252 View Post
to the op and anyone who has this same question. Ill sum it up for you in one post. Hopefully future members use the search and find this post.

Death wobble sucks.... All who have had it hate it, and all who have yet to experience it pray they don't ever experience it.
You make a list of everything that could possibly give you death wobble on a scale 1-10. 1 being greatest dw factor 10 being a less dw factor.
Start by looking at your rig on what is lose what is tight. If you have a second person/helper to turn the wheel left and right while your under your jeep that's a help. You get to see the whole axle shift left to right under stress/load if the track bar bushings are bad, or worse if the bolt hole on the axle where the track bar mounts is oblong'd/oval'd out a bit. My helper (the wife, although a 12 year old might have been more help with a lil less *****ing) was able to do this for me and i was able to notice real quick that during my last alignment (or maybe me, but i'm blaming the alignment people) the had the outer tie rod on the drag link threaded to far out and the pitman arm side in way to far. Causing too little of threads on the knuckle/tire side so under stress/load when turning i could watch the tie rod buckle because it wasn't threaded into the sleeve enough. The alignment guys just adjusted the drag link until the wheel was straight again, not really caring or thinking that there wasn't enough rod in the sleeve.

1. tie rod ends. I have had the nastiest dw known to man... (maybe, but at 20mph an expansion joint on a concrete bridge on a backroad in maine...dw till i was under 10mph.) it takes awhile to go 30 mile commute at 20mph.
Just by switching out to new tie rods i got a couple weeks/month of dw free driving as long as i was 35mph and under.

2. track bar/track bar bushings if your track bar isn't tightened up its going to allow shimmy of the whole front axle left to right all while the vehicle stays straight. Same with the bushings. How old is the lift... Track bar...bushings?
It might only allow 1/2" of play but with the force multiplier of 4200lbs moving at 40mph and 70lbs of rotating tire on either side... Thats when you feel the dw start and then just goes faster and faster till its to late.

3. castor angle/alignment. I feel that castor angle is less important than the other 2 listed above due to i had installed my lift (terraflex coils 4", but netted me 5.5" oddly enough, bilsteins 5100 rusty track bar factory uca and factory lca) had it aligned and was at 3.75 castor angle. Never knew what dw felt like. Installed iro adj uca/lca was at 4.25 castor. Still no dw. Just lucky i guess. Did my varilok axle swap. Dw like a mofo. Still at 4.25 castor. Same tie rods and track bar as with the factory open d30? Still dont know what happened. From that point on ive been on the search for the "ultimate dw cure" now i'am at 6* positive castor on short arms. An i do have front driveline vibes..however that's also because i need a front pinion bearing and front drive shaft balanced. But that's in the spring when my open diff goes back in with an aussie and a new tw drive shaft)

4. bushings. Look at any and all your bushings/bolts. Maybe also while your helper is cranking the steering wheel left to right. The upper control arm mount on the axle. That ear in which the control arm bolts to. That is one common place that people overlook as well. Those bushings do break down. Not as common enough to be more important than tire ( as covered below) but still bushings should never be overlooked and are more important than tire size/pressure/balance

5. ball joints/wheel bearings. Just like tie rods ball joints are up there as well. If they are worn or loose they will allow tires to flop/wobble individually of each other. Wheel bearings as well.

6. properly balanced tires. Unbalanced tires is hard to figure out if that is more or less important than tie rods or alignment when a set of unbalanced tires can def set off dw at just the right speeds, not even a bump steer to help. Just an all out straight shot 50mph cruise ...then it happens. I get your tires re-balanced. Then look at each one. Look to see which 2 have the least amount of weight on them. Those should be your #1 choice to go upfront. Hopefully you have two that have the exact same size weight on them. Those go on the front. Tires with less weight/weights means that they are more naturally perfect. Some tires do not even need weight to balance. Had a set one hankook dynopro atm, loved those tires (for an all terrain tire) 3 of the 4 did not need any weight to balance them. Now it didn't mean they were dead nuts balanced. Just too little of weight to matter.

7. tire pressure. yeah believe it or not tire pressure does play a role. If your tires are pumped rock hard to 50psi so you can get that extra mpg out of your wj... Air them down a bit to help absorb some of the wobble/ bump steer that starts the dw. I was "that guy" with 50psi in my 255/75/17 rubi take off bfg mt trying to maximize my mpgs. (btw 20 hwy by my calc not the computer evic thing) im now down to 28 psi on all four

i guess this list really might not need an 8, 9 an 10 to it but you get the idea. Also look at what kit you bought?? Did you get the rough country 4" kit that includes a track bar drop bracket and drop pitman arm? Or piece together your lift like i did?
It is also important that your drag link (linkage from pitman arm to pass. Knuckle) and trackbar remain somewhat parallel and somewhat level. Not a huge 45* angle. I recently purchased iro steering equlizer kit. That dropped my adj trackbar down 2 or 3 inches. I forget i didnt measure really. And also a drop pitman arm which is the biggest offered for a wj i think its a 4" drop on that bad boy. Between that product, a rough country dual steering stabilizer a new alignment with my castor as close to stock (6 degrees now) all new moog tie rods moog ball joints and also just like tckenny said kevins off road new trackbar bushings super durometer like 90 durometer bushings... Def recomended if yours are worn. If not then dont bother yet. Unless your like me and just going to dump your wallet out to fix the dw. But heres a youtube vid to def check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkqov6cbfag
i know this post is super long but alot of good info honestly from someone who has used this forum to chase down my dw. From someone who used the search and said all the same things your saying " tie rods ball joints bushings...its all tight" i kept asking the forum to solve my problem. I still cant quite pinpoint what fixed my dw but i spent almost $1k tracking it down. From everything on that list above i started with brand new.

Edit: Wow i just read the whole post. Should have did that before posting. But i just had alot of thought going on that i felt needed to be put down for others to think about as well as others in the future that do use the search function.
Funny how everything i covered has been mentioned. Yeah sorry i didn't find this thread earlier. Could saved some time for others as well. No im not saying im an expert but.. I did just finally cure my dw.
And all the other posts on this thread are all things i have had to do myself.
Also that list someone posted from iron rock is a good list. Pdf format... Print it and grab a beer and go over it while your under the wj
good luck and thats what the forum is for. Let us know when your good to go, dont just let this thread die out like 90% of them do

x2^
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #22
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
I am a mechanic at a jeep dealership and I can tell you that the wranglers I have worked on that have mud terrain tires ride funny.Especially when they are worn unevenly. As far as death wobble its a possibility. I would never buy used tires and unless you are doing serious offroading and rock crawling mud terrain tires are not really necessary. A good all terrain tire will get you through anything as long as you know how to drive properly in the conditions you are in. I had death wobble with a 3 inch lift and balancing my tires and getting a moog super trail boss steering stabilizer cured my death wobble. I run falken rocky mountain at's a great tire.
Thank god you'll never touch any of my vehicles.

MTs do not "wear funny", if they do its becuase you're lazy and don't rotate your tires and make sure they are correctly inflated.

A steering stabilizer will never solve death wobble. Never.

Maybe since you are a mechanic you can explain to everyone how an out of balance tire will cause an uncontrolled oscillation of the front axle. Here is a hint to get you going, it won't.

And an all terrain will not get you through "anything".
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #23
brettalmon13
1999 WJ 

Well I have been piecing my parts together for my lift kits, so as of now I have put on: new tie rod ends, drag links ends, adj. lower control arms, adj. track bar (with new bushings), had several alignments done messing with the caster from 3 all the way to 7.5 and test driven it plenty of times. I have removed the drop bracket that came with the lift to put my jks adj. one in, and put the stock drop pitman arm back in to get the drag link and track more more parallel. Also swapped my MTs with evenly worn all terrains. I'm absolutely stumped. I have talked to RC multiple times they told me have the caster with my stock pitman arm and adj. track bar at 6.7 deg.
Any suggestions, alignment guy maybe not trying something, ball joints, i dont know???

I had a 2 inch body lift on before but never got DW, im curious as to if I took out my 4 inch springs and put 2.5 inch springs would my DW go away since all my parts are adjustable??
brettalmon13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #24
stephenpegler
2003 WJ 

I had death wobble because of worn out bushings everywhere. After I put in the IRO long arm front and read 4" lift kit, no more death wobble. Virtually all bushings replaced. After the installation, I had it set up and aligned at a really good suspension and alignment shop in AZ. Maybe that's why no more death wobble.
stephenpegler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 02:59 AM   #25
devinci

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckenney View Post
I haven't replaced bushings yet, still using JKS soft red ones for now. Currently have a little shimmy but no true DW yet. Although, it could happen if I hit the perfect storm of bumps.

Start cheap first.
Does your "shimmy" happen between a certain speed range? I'm just wondering because I have a jiggle in my steering wheel between ~45-55mph.

It's perfect above and below that speed range.
Unread 12-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #26
SPRSLO

I don't have a single bit of looseness or nervous moments until I'm over 6o mph and hit a very rippled section of road, or hit a bridge joint that gets the suspension unsettled followed by ripples. And it's not all the time. I did find after speaking to Kevin that the tightening bolt on the driver side of the tie rod was bottoming out, allowing it to wiggle. After tightening that and realigning toe, it was good. Then I screwed up and put a few more pounds of air in the tires, and then DW came back. Let it back out, and none since. It's very frustrating.
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #27
turrillas
2004 WJ 

DW on 2004 WJ

welcome to the DW team man!

There is a thread in here about Ultimate DW fix, everyone is putting their fixes and what have worked for each one of us! In my case have not fixed yet, just is under control how?

Chaning bushings (Worn), changing pitman arm to lower 1", even put my second steering stabilizer (Desperation!!!!) and did what in the forum was recomended in several thread (have someone moving the steering from side to side, while you are below you WJ, look for parts hitting other parts, parts moving unevenly and so on....)

So I just did this past weekend and found that my damn second stabilizer is hitting a bracket and also saw that the end of my track bar on the upper side is hitting the bracket that holds the TB on this side (See picture below), One fellow from the forum told me that I am missing another insert to center the end of the TB against the bracket).

So do the test and observed for a couple of minutes, and observed carefully to see if you get a surprise like I saw!

Here are the pictures of my TB hitting the bracket. I have not added the insert to center it yet, but this weekend will do it.

I am crossing my fingers hoping this is it! and finally fix my DW
turrillas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #28
Jameswj4
2004 WJ 

I just got rid of my DW on wed on my 04 with an rcx 4in lift.. turns out I had my track bar set too tight. Make sure to measure that your track bar is centered
Unread 09-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #29
turrillas
2004 WJ 

track bar high?

How you measure the track bar height? can you explain and add pics?

thanks
turrillas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #30
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameswj4 View Post
turns out I had my track bar set too tight.
Sorry man but that makes no sense at all! Your saying you had to loosen your track bar? Lots of cases have been solved by tightening the TB. If you could explain exactly what you mean, that would be better.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.