Death wobble on certain braking conditions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Death wobble on certain braking conditions

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Jeepgc3

I had a theead about my issue. 3" lift now dw. Read that. Before i lifted it had a small vibration in the wheel sometimes when i went to brake at those times but was no issue. I figured it was the rotors since i have the teve calipers. After i lifted is when it was so bad i thought it was somthn in the suspension. But i put new rotors and pads on and have not had an issue since. Let me know if u fixnit

Jeepgc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
Jeepgc3

I guess its the geometry in the suspension that made it feel alot worse
Jeepgc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
spud2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcorvino View Post
It's kind of makes sense / kind of doesn't. Warped rotors if applying brakes causing fluctuation in and out... But at the same time I don't exactly see how it would cause the tires to wobble so dramatically.

Either way - I'm meeting with TJSWJ in about 3 weeks for a new front axle. I'll just bolt new pads / rotors on and with a new everything I should hopefully be good.
Think about it like this. A warped rotor is essentially causing the pads to grab a certain part of the rotor harder than in another part, which is the pulsation you feel. I know from having a lot of experienced with warped rotors that it depends on where the rotors are positioned in their rotation as to what type of pulsation you experience. If both are "grabbing" at the same time, the steering wheel doesn't tend to shake much, but you can feel the front-to-back pulsation when coming to a stop. If one side is grabbing and the other is at its "non-grabbing place", then they switch due to the rotation of the wheels, then that is what causes the shimmy in the steering wheel. This back-and-forth "grabbing" gets the steering components moving ever so slightly and initiates DW. With warn components such as bushings, this little movement is exaggerated and the rhythmic properties of blah blah blah take over and that's what you feel in DW. Again, warped rotors are not the CAUSE of DW (that would be warn components) but can be what INITIATES it... That is why I said replacing your rotors will buy you some time as it will eliminate that small movement in the components. But this is only a band aid. You need to see what is warn out bushing wise and replace that to completely stop DW.
spud2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the only way a grabbing rotor would give you dw is if other parts were loose enough to allow the oscillation to set in.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
Prickett10
Daddy dubJ

2000 WJ 

UPDATE::::: Installed new raybestos rotors and switched to akebono calipers.This part of the repair defiinetaly made a big difference, but the underlying problem *tie rods* is going to be done tonight.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #271 2000 4.7L WJ
1980 Ford F100 4.9L I6 <------- My baby

Man makes the weather then stands in the rain and says S*** its rainin
Prickett10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Update - mine self resolved. No issues for a few days now.
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
Prickett10
Daddy dubJ

2000 WJ 

with the new rotors, pad, calipers, cv axles, and tie rods she drove all the way to Texas like a dream, even averaged 17.5mpg
Colorado Jeep Club Member #271 2000 4.7L WJ
1980 Ford F100 4.9L I6 <------- My baby

Man makes the weather then stands in the rain and says S*** its rainin
Prickett10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.