Death wobble on certain braking conditions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Death wobble on certain braking conditions

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 05-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

I don't get it. I never had DW - didn't make any modifications and out of no where, I now have death wobble upon breaking between 40 - 55 depending on the amount of pressure I put on the breaks. If I use the E-brake to assist its fine. The rotors and pads are fine. And there is only a slight vibration when driving those speeds occasionally. Any ideas at all to what would specifically cause DW as described? Again, it didn't gradually get worse - it just came out of nowhere and only occurs sometimes.

elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
fishtaconc
2004 WJ 

I would venture a guess, from what you have described, you have warped rotors. Depending on how severe they are warped, they can feel like DW. in any case, it would be a good idea to crawl under the front and look things over, looking for anything loose in the steering system.
fishtaconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

It's not death wobble, shuddering under braking is warped rotors.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Yeah, that's not death wobble. You have an 03, so your break calipers are better at preventing warpage than older models, but they still will. It's part of owning a WJ. Get some new rotors if it's bad enough.
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

actual death wobble initiated by braking is usually upper control arm bushings.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Yea - Was my initial assumption, but I pulled off both front tires and everything looked fine. But now logically it's the only thing that would really make much sense. Maybe something not seen by eye.
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcorvino View Post
And there is only a slight vibration when driving those speeds occasionally.
Rotate the front tires to the rear and see if it helps.
You may have a bad tire.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
spud2388

Warped rotors CAN cause DW, so I wouldn't say the op doesn't have dw right yet. I know this as my bushings are pretty shot on my 99 and when my rotors begin to warp (every 18 months or so), they begin to create dw at those speeds as well. It is important the op does know the difference between dw and the regular shimmy of warped rotors. If you (the op) are sure its dw, then I would obviously change your rotors and then check your bushings up front. Changing the rotors will buy you a little bit of time but if they are causing it, soon small bumps in the road will cause it too. Its important to fix what is causing the dw, not what is initiating it... Bandaids only work for so long.
spud2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud2388 View Post
Warped rotors CAN cause DW, so I wouldn't say the op doesn't have dw right yet. I know this as my bushings are pretty shot on my 99 and when my rotors begin to warp (every 18 months or so), they begin to create dw at those speeds as well. It is important the op does know the difference between dw and the regular shimmy of warped rotors. If you (the op) are sure its dw, then I would obviously change your rotors and then check your bushings up front. Changing the rotors will buy you a little bit of time but if they are causing it, soon small bumps in the road will cause it too. Its important to fix what is causing the dw, not what is initiating it... Bandaids only work for so long.
They can help get it going, but are never a root cause.
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
Prickett10
2000 WJ 

I don't mean to hijack but this threads sounds like the problem that sprung up yesterday for me. I replaced my cv shafts and during the test drive I heard a weird noise near the drivers side front tire and had pulsating in my break peddle , parked it took the tire off made sure everything was tightened down right and hit the road again. I went through a turn, applied the breaks BOOM severe side to side shaking. This wasn't a slight vibration by any means. Could I have severely warped my rotors putting everything back together? Please help me find this problem as I am driving to Texas on Friday............
Colorado Jeep Club Member #271 2000 4.7L WJ 2"BB, Upcountry springs, Limited Headlights, Black Cladding, Cooper Discoverers ATP's 265/75/16's, RC Quick Disco's, Akibono calipers, Moog TRE's
1980 Ford F100 4.9L I6 <------- My baby
Prickett10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
Highschool_WJ

1999 WJ 

Warped rotors, mine started after replacing brake pads and I have yet to take them off and get them turned
Highschool_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Jeepgc3

I had the same issue and the warped rotors wouldcause it to go into a dearh wobble. Yes death wobble-not shuddering. It was so bad at times i had to stop the jeep completly. Changed front rotors and pads and have not had an issue since. 182,000 miles wirh new 3" kolak lift. Never had new bushings either. Warped rotors can cause dw.
Jeepgc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgc3 View Post
I had the same issue and the warped rotors wouldcause it to go into a dearh wobble. Yes death wobble-not shuddering. It was so bad at times i had to stop the jeep completly. Changed front rotors and pads and have not had an issue since. 182,000 miles wirh new 3" kolak lift. Never had new bushings either. Warped rotors can cause dw.
How do brake rotors cause uncontollable oscillation of the front axle?

(Not just "They can/do")
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Jeepgc3

Im telling the guy what caused and fixed mine. Sorry u dont like my story.
Jeepgc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

It's kind of makes sense / kind of doesn't. Warped rotors if applying brakes causing fluctuation in and out... But at the same time I don't exactly see how it would cause the tires to wobble so dramatically.

Either way - I'm meeting with TJSWJ in about 3 weeks for a new front axle. I'll just bolt new pads / rotors on and with a new everything I should hopefully be good.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.