JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Death wobble on certain braking conditions (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/death-wobble-certain-braking-conditions-1524758/)

elcorvino 05-17-2013 04:37 PM

I don't get it. I never had DW - didn't make any modifications and out of no where, I now have death wobble upon breaking between 40 - 55 depending on the amount of pressure I put on the breaks. If I use the E-brake to assist its fine. The rotors and pads are fine. And there is only a slight vibration when driving those speeds occasionally. Any ideas at all to what would specifically cause DW as described? Again, it didn't gradually get worse - it just came out of nowhere and only occurs sometimes.

fishtaconc 05-18-2013 10:46 PM

I would venture a guess, from what you have described, you have warped rotors. Depending on how severe they are warped, they can feel like DW. in any case, it would be a good idea to crawl under the front and look things over, looking for anything loose in the steering system.

WhiteOut 05-18-2013 10:49 PM

It's not death wobble, shuddering under braking is warped rotors.

ADragg 05-19-2013 12:52 AM

Yeah, that's not death wobble. You have an 03, so your break calipers are better at preventing warpage than older models, but they still will. It's part of owning a WJ. Get some new rotors if it's bad enough.

ratmonkey 05-19-2013 01:13 PM

actual death wobble initiated by braking is usually upper control arm bushings.

elcorvino 05-20-2013 08:34 AM

Yea - Was my initial assumption, but I pulled off both front tires and everything looked fine. But now logically it's the only thing that would really make much sense. Maybe something not seen by eye.

texlurch 05-20-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcorvino (Post 15446872)
And there is only a slight vibration when driving those speeds occasionally.

Rotate the front tires to the rear and see if it helps.
You may have a bad tire.

spud2388 05-20-2013 09:47 AM

Warped rotors CAN cause DW, so I wouldn't say the op doesn't have dw right yet. I know this as my bushings are pretty shot on my 99 and when my rotors begin to warp (every 18 months or so), they begin to create dw at those speeds as well. It is important the op does know the difference between dw and the regular shimmy of warped rotors. If you (the op) are sure its dw, then I would obviously change your rotors and then check your bushings up front. Changing the rotors will buy you a little bit of time but if they are causing it, soon small bumps in the road will cause it too. Its important to fix what is causing the dw, not what is initiating it... Bandaids only work for so long.

WhiteOut 05-20-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spud2388 (Post 15456105)
Warped rotors CAN cause DW, so I wouldn't say the op doesn't have dw right yet. I know this as my bushings are pretty shot on my 99 and when my rotors begin to warp (every 18 months or so), they begin to create dw at those speeds as well. It is important the op does know the difference between dw and the regular shimmy of warped rotors. If you (the op) are sure its dw, then I would obviously change your rotors and then check your bushings up front. Changing the rotors will buy you a little bit of time but if they are causing it, soon small bumps in the road will cause it too. Its important to fix what is causing the dw, not what is initiating it... Bandaids only work for so long.

They can help get it going, but are never a root cause.

Prickett10 05-20-2013 06:18 PM

I don't mean to hijack but this threads sounds like the problem that sprung up yesterday for me. I replaced my cv shafts and during the test drive I heard a weird noise near the drivers side front tire and had pulsating in my break peddle , parked it took the tire off made sure everything was tightened down right and hit the road again. I went through a turn, applied the breaks BOOM severe side to side shaking. This wasn't a slight vibration by any means. Could I have severely warped my rotors putting everything back together? Please help me find this problem as I am driving to Texas on Friday............

Highschool_WJ 05-20-2013 09:29 PM

Warped rotors, mine started after replacing brake pads and I have yet to take them off and get them turned

Jeepgc3 05-21-2013 10:16 AM

I had the same issue and the warped rotors wouldcause it to go into a dearh wobble. Yes death wobble-not shuddering. It was so bad at times i had to stop the jeep completly. Changed front rotors and pads and have not had an issue since. 182,000 miles wirh new 3" kolak lift. Never had new bushings either. Warped rotors can cause dw.

WhiteOut 05-21-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepgc3 (Post 15461009)
I had the same issue and the warped rotors wouldcause it to go into a dearh wobble. Yes death wobble-not shuddering. It was so bad at times i had to stop the jeep completly. Changed front rotors and pads and have not had an issue since. 182,000 miles wirh new 3" kolak lift. Never had new bushings either. Warped rotors can cause dw.

How do brake rotors cause uncontollable oscillation of the front axle?

(Not just "They can/do")

Jeepgc3 05-21-2013 10:28 AM

Im telling the guy what caused and fixed mine. Sorry u dont like my story.

elcorvino 05-21-2013 11:06 AM

It's kind of makes sense / kind of doesn't. Warped rotors if applying brakes causing fluctuation in and out... But at the same time I don't exactly see how it would cause the tires to wobble so dramatically.

Either way - I'm meeting with TJSWJ in about 3 weeks for a new front axle. I'll just bolt new pads / rotors on and with a new everything I should hopefully be good.


The time now is 08:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.