Dead Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dead Jeep

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Wj Dead Jeep

So about a month or so ago i posted about some motor issues I had. Well it turns out that i need to have the valve seat rebuilt. Mechanic wants $2000 to pull it apart and take it to a machine shop. With a wedding, honeymoon, and having to find a new place to live in the next few months I DO NOT have that kind of money to throw into this thing.

I'm considering taking the motor apart myself and taking it to a machine shop that will do it for $100. I've never done this before and am hoping that I don't have to pull the motor. I've been looking around on the forum but haven;t found it yet. I'm looking to see if anyone has posted a thorough motor teardown with pictures.

any help is always appreciated. Thanks all

Unread 12-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Ravie
1999 WJ 

I6 or V8? I'm guessing V8 since those have valve seat issues...
Unread 12-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

http://www.amazon.com/Cherokee-1993-...herokee+manual

If you are going to take on a job like that with the skills you have, spend a little on a repair manual.

Last edited by 99SK04GTX; 12-17-2012 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: add info
99SK04GTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SK04GTX View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Cherokee-1993-...herokee+manual

If you are going to take on a job like that with the skills you have, spend a little on a repair manual.
Or just download the factory one in PDF form for free off the net!
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie View Post
I6 or V8? I'm guessing V8 since those have valve seat issues...
It is the V8 4.7 HO in the Overland
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Or just download the factory one in PDF form for free off the net!
Thanks. I have the dealer repair manual. do you know if it is absolutely necessary to pull the engine or can i get away with leaving it in the car?
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Pull the heads first, then see what shape your pistons and cylinder walls are in. If theyre messed up then its time to pull the short block too.

Sent from inside my 4.0.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

ok thanks. THe shop i took it to pulled the heads and said the only issue was the valve seat. so i'll get to work on it myself over my xmas vacation hopefully and see for myself
Unread 12-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

In that case just get the heads reworked and clean the block deck and you'll be good to go. Get a FSM if you don't have one already, its a valuable resource.

Sent from inside my 4.0.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Breadfan

Wait, you said the shop pulled the heads and determined it was valve seat - they were 90% done if they pulled the head and put it back! If it was just a valve issue, the hardest part is the teardown to get the heads off IMO. I hope they didn't quote $2000 after doing all that, b/c really they did most of the work minus the send to machine shop part.

But yes, you can certainly do this without pulling the motor as indicated above. Searching for Headgasket threads should give you what you need. I've been outlining some of my experiences with that job in this recent thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...haust-1450874/

You may not be doing a headgasket specifically, but for pulling a head the discussion is probably similar.
Breadfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

So I had the head remachined and put back together by a friend back in April. 5 days later it blew up. Hole in the valve cover. finally got the money together to have it towed and looked at by a mechanic. the block sucked a valve in and now the whole motor needs to be replaced. Block is shot.

I'm looking into a warranty from the shop that my friend went to to remachine the head but i'm not too hopeful. My mechanic is looking around to find a used motor. He said he is going to try and get it down around $2K. any ideas or leads on a 4.7 HO V8 would be helpful. I plan on selling this thing as soon as it is paid off so as cheap as possible.
Unread 12-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
WheelinCowboy
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Sold it. It's going to go live in Mexico now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.