For a DD Jeep that will see no offroad, 2" BB or Coils? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > For a DD Jeep that will see no offroad, 2" BB or Coils?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
KDR83

For a DD Jeep that will see no offroad, 2" BB or Coils?

About to pick up a GC for DD duties but want a 2 inch lift to seperate it from the crowd of Jeeps. The car will be a V8 2wd and won't see any offroading. What will give me a better ride, 2 inch coils from Fat Bob/Rusty or 2 inch spacers? Should I just keep my stock shocks or pick up a cheap set of shocks? This thing will be my daily/beater so don't want to spend too much money. thanks

KDR83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Coils will give you better ride quality (of course this depends on the quality of spring too), however a BB would be cheaper.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

It depends on what you mean by "better".

Stock springs + 2" spacers will be the softest ride possible. Bathtub in the English Channel.

ANY of the lift springs will be an increase in spring rate over stock, so the ride will be firmer. Personally, I like the firmer ride. The stock feel was very sloppy and uncontrolled. I am much more comfortable feeling the road a little but being in control of the vehicle, as opposed to riding like a Cadillac and floating all over the damn place. I know from your other thread that you were planning on towing. Stock springs will squat like a mofo with any weight on them. Firmer springs will help with squat and vehicle stability when you are towing.

And I would say DON'T cheap out on shocks. If this is your daily driver, then you'll be punishing yourself on a daily basis by choosing cheap shocks. If you only drove it occasionally, then go cheap.

The setup I recommend to a LOT of people...
Bilstein 5100 shocks ($300)
FatBob's or BDS Springs ($189-250)
3/4" Spacer ($25-50)
New spring isolators ($100)
Spacers on rear end link mounts ($20, easy to DIY).

You're looking right around $600 for this setup with the Fatbob's springs. It's not cheap but the ride and handling is great and you have a lifetime warranty on the shocks. I still think that your daily driver is NOT the place to cheap out unless you want your ride to suck and your shocks to be blown in a year (most of the cheap twin-tube shocks have a very short lifespan and are valved for a 3/4 ton truck).

An alternative (since you'll be towing) is to use OME MD or HD springs which don't need the 3/4" spacer in front (since they are a staggered lift height, taller in front). However, these are about $100 more than the Fat Bob's springs.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Coils, since your factory ones are about shot. Mine would sag just from a full tank of gas....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
LarryDallas
2001 WJ 

I would agree with everyone so far that new coils offer the best ride. That being said, if you are really going on the cheap like I did, just go 2" BB. I had UC springs already and not much sag, so I didn't even replace the isolators.

With 2WD no issues to worry about with front driveshaft, but I would still spend $50 on a Moog super trail boss steering stabilizer. Even though I went cheap, I did step up to new Bilstein shocks. If you are worried about the ride quality, that will make as a big an impact as whether you go coils or BB.

I personally found the ride did not get worse with a BB, but I attribute that to the new shocks (replaced the originals with 96k miles on them). The biggest impact on the ride was going from 235/65/17 all season tires to 245/70/17 General grabber AT2s. Worth the look and improved off road capability IMO.

Since you are lifting are you changing tires? I personally don't like the look of standard size tires with a lift, just doesn't look right.
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
KDR83

Yeah I am going to order 15x7 soft 8s with 31 10.5 15s, was thinking Falken Rocky Mountains. Nothing between cheap shocks and bilsteins? I honestly dont want to have two money pits (viper) that is why I am trying to find the best value for everything.
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
KDR83

What about Monroe Reflex UC shocks, would those work? Heard pretty good things about them and apparently they can handle a taller jeep
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
C101Commando

I ran a 2" spacer lift for a year and 25,000 miles, stock shocks and all. Rode and handled fine, I'd advise doing something to help the rear swaybar angle though. Recently went to an iro long arm 4" setup with procomp es9000 shocks, I'm really impressed with the ride when the price of the shocks is considered. maybe a good budget shock for you..
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
LarryDallas
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDR83
Yeah I am going to order 15x7 soft 8s with 31 10.5 15s, was thinking Falken Rocky Mountains. Nothing between cheap shocks and bilsteins? I honestly dont want to have two money pits (viper) that is why I am trying to find the best value for everything.
That's funny, and I can relate. Put it this way, you can outfit you jeep with Bilsteins for under $300, contact Kolak. What does it cost to replace the shocks on that Viper? You can get a set of 5 tires on your jeep for the cost of one rear tire on the viper. If you look at it that way you can justify anything! That's how I sell it to my wife - "honey, this is nothing, do you know what it would cost for the same thing on my Corvette?!?"
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

Spring upgrade definitely. I've upgraded my '02 overland with springs/ shocks etc at it is a pleasure to drive compared to my father in laws '01 limited with 2" lift pucks and same 5100 Bilstein shocks (I installed in both WJ's).

His handles like a boat and far worse than stock due to higher center of gravity.
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #11
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
It depends on what you mean by "better".

Stock springs + 2" spacers will be the softest ride possible. Bathtub in the English Channel.
And let me tell that my house overlooks that piece of water and Im looking at it as I write this....and today you certainly would we swaying about a bit in your bathtub.....6-8 chop and force 6-7 wind!
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
KDR83

I am thinking of getting the FatBob 2.5 front springs 2.0 rear springs, bilsteins and new isolators, should that be a pretty good setup?
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
Zacedward
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDR83 View Post
I am thinking of getting the FatBob 2.5 front springs 2.0 rear springs, bilsteins and new isolators, should that be a pretty good setup?
I would go with the springs I wish that's what I would have done I have the 2" pucks form fat bob's and I regret it I got them with out doing research
UJC #181 2004 jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L v8, 2"bb, kolak 3 " exhaust flowmaster 50 SUV , Rola roof basket, k&n cai,245/75 /16 A/T
Zacedward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you want it to stand out for looks, pick up a set of JK Rubicon wheels and tires.

You can clear them bone stock with minor trimming (that's what I did) or with zero trimming on even a small lift.

This is sitting on stock slightly saggy suspension. Do what works for you, I think the JK wheels and MTs really set it apart.

If you won't be wheeling/flexing, then clearing the bigger tires should not be much of an issue for you.
wj.jpg  
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
KDR83

I already ordered a set of 15x7 soft 8s with 31 10.5r15 Falken tires with all the rebates and incentives discount tire is running, it came out just a little above 600 shipped and that is with centercaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.