Dana 44 rear axle seals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dana 44 rear axle seals

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 04-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
forttis
2000 WJ 

Dana 44 rear axle seals

Hello everyone,

Just a bit confused with this job. I got a 2000 WJ with Dana 44 and a leaking driver side rear axle seal. I have the fluids and seals. Where are the seals located? I've read pages/threads where the seals are located right inside the diff. I've also read others where they are behind the bearing on the axle shaft which is pressed in there.

Which one is right or which one do i have? I was hoping on doing it myself as i'm rebuilding my trac-loc clutches as well.

Thanks in advance!

forttis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Behind the wheel bearing on the axle shaft
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
forttis
2000 WJ 

Are Dana 44's different from front and rear, will this be a front axle? http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-3.html or how come the one from the link is different?
Unread 04-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Yes they are, and thats an iron 44. You have a d44a (aluminum). WJ D35 and D44a seal/bearing replacement is the same (and I believe same parts)
Unread 04-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Your front axle is a Dana 30, not a 44. The seals for the front dana 30 are inside the pumpkin housing. They are on each side of the carrier which has to be pulled out to change the seals out.

On the rear Dana 35 and Dana 44 they are on the axleshaft between the axle flange and wheel bearing.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
forttis
2000 WJ 

I was hoping it would have been the same as replacing the D30's but at least is all clear now!

Can it be bad to keep toping it up until i get some warmer temps and get to it?
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

I'd say its easier than a D30 because you dont have to pull the cover off and take the carrier out. If its just a slight leak you wont even notice a change in diff fluid level.
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

No no no. Changing the 44a seal is much better than the front. All you need to do is take out the axleshaft, crack off the bearing, remove the seal, press on new stuff and reinsert. Dont even need to remove the fluid or cover. Might need a slidehammer to pull the shaft though.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
forttis
2000 WJ 

Only problen is i have no access to a press otherwise i agree that it is easier. With that in mind i might try to get a shop to press it, doing the rest of the work myself.

I will have to get the diff cover off anyway as I am putting in new clutches for the Trac-loc and new spider gears. I'd like to get it all done at once with out wasting too much fluid and time.

Thanks a lot for all the help and quick responses!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.