Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dana 30 Rebuild

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mverne 
#1 ·
I have an '01 Grand Cherokee Limited which I believe has the Dana 30 for the front differential. Whenever I turn (especially left) it makes a moaning/grinding noise and has caused the outside edge of both front tires to create a leather like pattern. I removed the front drive shaft to make sure that the issue isn't with the transfer case itself and the sound still exists. Any idea of what may need to be replaced within the Dana 30 and possible prices that I can be expecting to pay? I will be pulling a 6x12 Uhaul trailer from Minnesota to Atlanta in about a month and want to get this issue taken care of as quickly as possible. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
I had the same thing with my 01 Limited. All i did was changed the diff fluid with the Mobil1 stuff (with the limited slip additive) and it fixed it. The fluid that came out was nasty burned. But everything seems fine now. That's as far as my knowledge stretches... good luck

#7 · (Edited)
What Transfer case do you have? Do you have C/V joints at the frt drive axle (rubber boots at each wheel)?

If so, make sure they're not torn as to have joint grease whip out all over. Kinda sounds like these joints are worn, be they C/V style or u-joints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.