d30 varilock - shipped the bed. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > d30 varilock - shipped the bed.

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
BrianBSHS
2004 WJ 

Unhappy d30 varilock - shipped the bed.

Okay so my varilock (3.73s) pooped and now I'm stuck on a decision.
I can buy an open carrier with clayton control arm mounts already on it but the catch is that there are no knuckles. I can swap over the knuckles from mine for an added headache but who wants to do that? This is $70. He was running 4.10s and an aussie and is dropping the 3.73s back in. (probably not setting them)
The other option is to find an open d30 and buy new clayton brackets and weld them on. unknown $$ but safer

Also, has anyone ever repaired their varilock? I plan on running 33s so should I even bother?

HALLLLLP...

BrianBSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

You can't repair the varilok -- unfortunately, jeep makes its an all or nothing piece.

The question is, why do you need Clayton brackets -- the radius arm work as-is with the stock mounts.

I wouldn't waste my time with another varilok d30 with 33s. If you want something street friendly, grab an open carrier d30 with 3.73 and put in a true-trac or something similar that won't wear out like varilok ls.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
BrianBSHS
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
You can't repair the varilok -- unfortunately, jeep makes its an all or nothing piece.

The question is, why do you need Clayton brackets -- the radius arm work as-is with the stock mounts.

I wouldn't waste my time with another varilok d30 with 33s. If you want something street friendly, grab an open carrier d30 with 3.73 and put in a true-trac or something similar that won't wear out like varilok ls.
I just crawled under there and looked and I though the steel spacers were welded in but I guess they're just that, spacers. I think the open diff is the better option..
BrianBSHS is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.