CV joints shot, need to replace front axles- suggestions? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By +GRAVES+
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore
 
+GRAVES+'s Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 600
Garage
Wj Replacement front axles- suggestions?

1999 WJ Laredo. 4.7. 95,000 miles. Dana 30. Quadra Trac II. AWD

I tried to search this, but got a "token expired" error... i don't know what that means... so Fresh post. My CV Boots are thrashed. The joints seem to be OK. But at 95,000 miles, I figure I might as well just replace the whole axle & be done with it.

I live on an island, so unless shipping cost is not a factor, I prefer to buy locally. I don't need an axle upgrade, but I also don't want crap... at least OEM quality.

4wheelParts has crown axles for something like $400. Napa is less than $200 for their own brand. ebay has an American named Chinese brand for $69 pair- but after shipping cost its basically the same price as Napa. Theres also Autozone (didn't check anything), and Carquest (didn't check anything) & O'Riellys (doesn't stock locally).

Advice from anyone thats used axles they recommend is appreciated. But I don't so much care for the "I heard whatever brand sucks" advice. Thank you


"The best advice I can give you is never listen to my advice"

Last edited by +GRAVES+; 08-16-2017 at 12:46 AM. Reason: changed title
+GRAVES+ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 01:42 AM
sdg3205
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,279
I've had bad luck with ShurTrac, which are the cheapest ones on the market. Been running one Cardone with no issues and one from Kolak (whatever he sells) with no issues.

$80-$100 per half shaft is what I'd aim for. $400 for both seems high to me.
sdg3205 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore
 
+GRAVES+'s Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 600
Garage
Wj

$400 for a pair, but yes seems high.

The Napa shafts are called MaxDrive & thats all I've found locally. Less than $80 per shaft.

The $69 a pair Amazon shafts are Drive Tech America, a Chinese company... but that price seems too low to be any good & regardless, shipping adds $100+

Where did you get Cardone shafts? Any chance at Carquest or Autozone?

thanks

edit...

I just checked Autozone online. Theirs are called Duralast. They have 2 choices. Ones is about $60 (Duralast Reman), the other about $80 (Duralast Gold)

And it looks like Carquest is Advance auto parts. And they don't have any WJ front axles

That so far leaves me Napa or Autozone

Any other suggestions are welcome. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
I've had bad luck with ShurTrac, which are the cheapest ones on the market. Been running one Cardone with no issues and one from Kolak (whatever he sells) with no issues.

$80-$100 per half shaft is what I'd aim for. $400 for both seems high to me.

"The best advice I can give you is never listen to my advice"
+GRAVES+ is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 05:05 AM
HarryH3
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 1,566
None of the aftermarket axles that I've seen use decent boots. Instead of the tough, plastic boots that OEM axles use, the aftermarket ones all seem to use soft, cheap rubber boots. I had bought a new (not rebuilt) axle from Advanced Auto soon after I got the WJ. Like every reman CV axle I've bought over the years, it lasted just about a year before the boot split. Sure, it has a lifetime warranty, but I don't want to swap out axle shafts every year... I ended up buying an OEM boot kit for around $50 on ebay, along with the tool to crimp the bands properly. I then followed Shadowdog500's excellent guide on YouTube and rebuilt the original OEM axle that I had kept in the garage. Here's the video:


This is the tool I bought to crimp the bands: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J3L4BW/
HarryH3 is online now  
post #5 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 08:18 PM
detroitrust
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: cary
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
None of the aftermarket axles that I've seen use decent boots. Instead of the tough, plastic boots that OEM axles use, the aftermarket ones all seem to use soft, cheap rubber boots. I had bought a new (not rebuilt) axle from Advanced Auto soon after I got the WJ. Like every reman CV axle I've bought over the years, it lasted just about a year before the boot split. Sure, it has a lifetime warranty, but I don't want to swap out axle shafts every year... I ended up buying an OEM boot kit for around $50 on ebay, along with the tool to crimp the bands properly. I then followed Shadowdog500's excellent guide on YouTube and rebuilt the original OEM axle that I had kept in the garage. Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETLO6J6uANw

This is the tool I bought to crimp the bands: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J3L4BW/

Ugh... I just put one on from Advanced Auto and your correct, it has the lifetime warranty. My thought was it is tough to find a quality part and dealer parts are just crazy expensive with very short warranties. If the dealer would give me a longterm warranty, I'd be more inclined to buy from them. They don't care about the parts buyer and force us to try and find a decent supplier.

I'll take the warranty and do the labor in a year or 2 or 3 or 4...

I hate buying anything from China but our politicians sold us down the river a long ago.
detroitrust is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 08-17-2017, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore
 
+GRAVES+'s Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 600
Garage
I watched the Shadowdog500 video, valuable info. He said he prefers OEM parts, but uses Napa if he needs something new. Since I wouldn't know if the joints are good until I take it all apart, I'm thinking it's just easier to buy new half shafts from Napa. If the boots on the new half shafts eventually split, I'll take it back apart & replace them with OEM boots. Or option 2... buy new half shafts, immediately replace the boots with OEM & then install.

But I'm still open to any other suggestions. Thanks

"The best advice I can give you is never listen to my advice"
+GRAVES+ is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 08-21-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore
 
+GRAVES+'s Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 600
Garage
Napa has 1/2 shafts on sale right now, about $110 for a pair (thats the brand the guy who made the video suggested). I've only gotten a few answers here, but it seems the boots tearing are the only issue on non OEM 1/2 shafts, no one has stated the actually quality of the shafts is sub par.

I suggested this in my last post, but here it is again... would it make sense to simply buy some OEM boots and just replace the aftermarket boots on the Napa shafts BEFORE I install them? $50 for OEM boots as opposed to hours of labor in a year pulling the shafts again seems to make sense. Thanks

"The best advice I can give you is never listen to my advice"
+GRAVES+ is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 08-22-2017, 06:47 AM
HarryH3
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 1,566
It's highly likely that there is nothing wrong with your OEM shafts if you caught the boot leakage early. The aftermarket shafts seem to be of decent quality, other than the boot material. Installing an OEM boot on either axle should be fine for normal use.
HarryH3 is online now  
post #9 of 13 Old 08-22-2017, 06:54 AM
2000WJ287
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Toledo
Posts: 13
I have had some pretty good luck with detroit axle;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Left-R...item2389d7e919
2000WJ287 is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 08-22-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore
 
+GRAVES+'s Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 600
Garage
Shipping to me adds 100% to those Detroit axles on eBay. Other than that I like the price.

I have no idea when the boots broke, I just noticed recently. I've had the Jeep for 14 months, Dad had it for 15 years previously and he never looked underneath. Anyways, I can get the Napa parts locally & they're 10% off until tomorrow, so I'm just going to replace with the Napa axles. For the $110 and my own labor I'd rather just completely replace- better safe than sorry. AND, since I hardly drive, I'm just gonna stick with the boots that come with the Napa shafts. If I only get 10,000 miles out of them its fine, because thats about how many miles I'll drive it in the next 5 years anyway. Thanks for the input all, it's helped. Especially that axle rebuild video

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
It's highly likely that there is nothing wrong with your OEM shafts if you caught the boot leakage early. The aftermarket shafts seem to be of decent quality, other than the boot material. Installing an OEM boot on either axle should be fine for normal use.
grayWJ4x4 likes this.

"The best advice I can give you is never listen to my advice"
+GRAVES+ is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 08-23-2017, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore
 
+GRAVES+'s Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 600
Garage
I just bought my 1/2 shafts today from Napa. Perhaps I'll revisit this thread in the future and update how they've held up

"The best advice I can give you is never listen to my advice"
+GRAVES+ is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 08-26-2017, 11:40 PM
juan_carlos__007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by +GRAVES+ View Post
1999 WJ Laredo. 4.7. 95,000 miles. Dana 30. Quadra Trac II. AWD

I tried to search this, but got a "token expired" error... i don't know what that means... so Fresh post. My CV Boots are thrashed. The joints seem to be OK. But at 95,000 miles, I figure I might as well just replace the whole axle & be done with it.

I live on an island, so unless shipping cost is not a factor, I prefer to buy locally. I don't need an axle upgrade, but I also don't want crap... at least OEM quality.

4wheelParts has crown axles for something like $400. Napa is less than $200 for their own brand. ebay has an American named Chinese brand for $69 pair- but after shipping cost its basically the same price as Napa. Theres also Autozone (didn't check anything), and Carquest (didn't check anything) & O'Riellys (doesn't stock locally).

Advice from anyone thats used axles they recommend is appreciated. But I don't so much care for the "I heard whatever brand sucks" advice. Thank you
I saw you already bough replacement ones from napa, but I reccomend to stick with oem mopar. I would clean, crease the cv joint and replace the boot with some aftermarket strong polyurethane material. Also very most important, keep them axles as straight as possible on removal and installation. Oil seals inside the diff will easily get torn or expanded and the oil leaking will begin followed by ring and pinions winning and going bad because of lubrication starvation. Since you're at it just replace the oil seals for another 100,000 miles of good memories.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
juan_carlos__007 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 08-28-2017, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
+GRAVES+
Corporate Whore
 
+GRAVES+'s Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 600
Garage
I need to replace the pinion seal too. Might as well just do it all while the axles are out. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_carlos__007 View Post
Since you're at it just replace the oil seals for another 100,000 miles of good memories.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

"The best advice I can give you is never listen to my advice"
+GRAVES+ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome