CV Boot Missing Band. Replace? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > CV Boot Missing Band. Replace?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

CV Boot Missing Band. Replace?

So, I finally got around to pulling the wheels off and inspected everything on my 99 Grand Cherokee. The driver's side CV boot is missing the large band clamp. So the boot is free to move quite a bit. This leaves me wondering how long it's been gone and how much water/crud may have gotten in there?

Two questions for the wise:
1.) Should I replace the joint?
2.) If so, should I do the wheel bearings while everything is torn apart?

forumrunner_20110905_105409.jpg  
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
marcall
2004 WJ 

if it wasn't throwing grease around it's probably all right. slide it back and sample the grease. if it's not milky I'd just go to Napa or your favorite auto store and get a new clamp and clamp tool if you don't have one. clean off any excess grease and install the new band. Shouldn't even have to pull anything except the wheel
marcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Sometimes its hard to get just the clamp, you may have to buy a complete CV boot kit just to get the clamp. Don't replace the joint if it isn't clicking. Just slide the boot back, clean it out really good, regrease, install new clamps and go to town.

Don't use a regular hose clamp, those usually stick out and break off on the first rotation as they hit the axle housing. Also, even if there *is* room, they are unbalanced and can cause vibrations.

The CV clamp tool is handy, but if you don't want to drop the money on it, a decent pair of diagonal snips (aka "dikes") will do the job crimping the band. I've also used vice grips (carefully) in a pinch.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
MoparMan1990
2000 WJ 

you should see mine before i replaced them it got really bad they were squealing like there was no tomorrow
jeep-cv.jpg  
MoparMan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

A good tire shop you go to should be able to do it cheap for you too.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've used nylon zip ties to replace the clamps with good luck. It will last as song as the boot.
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

That's actually not a half-bad idea! Just use a couple pliers to cinch it up super-tight and you're good. I'll have to use that in the future
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
marcall
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Sometimes its hard to get just the clamp, you may have to buy a complete CV boot kit just to get the clamp. Don't replace the joint if it isn't clicking. Just slide the boot back, clean it out really good, regrease, install new clamps and go to town.

Don't use a regular hose clamp, those usually stick out and break off on the first rotation as they hit the axle housing. Also, even if there *is* room, they are unbalanced and can cause vibrations.

The CV clamp tool is handy, but if you don't want to drop the money on it, a decent pair of diagonal snips (aka "dikes") will do the job crimping the band. I've also used vice grips (carefully) in a pinch.
That's what I meant about getting the tool if he doesn't have one. They sell universal straps in two sizes and it's of the other style closure where it pulls the strap tight and the you bend it over and tap the two tabs shut with a hammer and punch. They work fine and they are easy to do. I know for a fact Napa sells these.
marcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
Blk01WJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
I've used nylon zip ties to replace the clamps with good luck. It will last as song as the boot.
We do this all the time as a field expediate repair (in the military). We have forgotten about a few and find them year(s) later and they are still good.

Would I do it with my jeep....yes until I had a need to tare the hub apart for another reason.
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
justanotherjpr

I have used thin universal clamps from Lowes before too. Don't remember what department they were in but they were the right width and plenty long enough. Pull tight as you can with pliers and nip off the remainder.

I would absolutely slide the boot back and re-pack with lots of new grease.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
bgohsman
1999 WJ 

So, I never returned to this thread, but I did end up just packing it with grease and putting on a new band. However, by November of last year (2012), the boot itself was pretty much disintegrating, which rendered the band a moot point. lol I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap front axles were at RockAuto. The wheel hubs were another matter.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.