Custom Fiberglass Sub Box?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Custom Fiberglass Sub Box??

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Black04lmtd
2004 WJ 

Custom Fiberglass Sub Box??

Has anyone build a custom fiberglass sub box molded to their wj? Im interested in trying this out.. if anyone has any pics, could you post them? I looked into getting a stealthbox, but i wanted a little more power.. Im trying to maximize space in the back but need a good spot for my new 12" alpine type x..
thanks

Black04lmtd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
JustJoeyK138
2000 WJ 

Wj

I built one for a 10 out of MDF and fiberglass. Since it was a tight install I stuffed fiberglass bat insulation into the box to slow the air down a bit. It worked out very well. I will get a pic and post it in a day or two.
JustJoeyK138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
towerdude
1980 CJ7 

Wj custom boxes

We just finished two custom 12" boxes for my 04 WJ. I will post pics as soon as I get them from my buddies camera. I think you will like. I have seen another guy who did 2 10" JL's on the drivers side that looked pretty clean. I will see if I can figure out who it was. He has a pic or two on here with it. Also, if you want one 10", JL audio makes a prefab box for the drivers side rear that should sound pretty good. Expensive but so are all the materials for a do it yourself'r. My two boxes cost me quite a bit just for the resin, wood, carpet, burlap, truckbox liner, ect...

2004 WJ Limited - "Total Eclipse" - 4" RC Lift, 265/70/17 Cooper ST's, 4.7L, Huge stereo, Roof Rack, Smittybilt 98281 XRC 8 Comp Series Black Winch with Synthetic Rope and Aluminum Fairlead mounted on reciever plate.
towerdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
towerdude
1980 CJ7 

Wj unfinished pics

These are some of the build pics. We built the front, sides, top, and bottom and then fiberglass molded the backs to form fit into stock panels. Ours were a little more tricky because we built in a 6x9 box and made an area to mount 4 passive crossovers on each. All said and done they look nice (now that they are carpeted and done) and you can still lift spare tire cover. I will post completed pics tomorrow or maybe later tonight.
cam1-026.jpg   cam1-039.jpg   cam1-042.jpg   cam1-057.jpg  

2004 WJ Limited - "Total Eclipse" - 4" RC Lift, 265/70/17 Cooper ST's, 4.7L, Huge stereo, Roof Rack, Smittybilt 98281 XRC 8 Comp Series Black Winch with Synthetic Rope and Aluminum Fairlead mounted on reciever plate.
towerdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I wouldn't have done the glass that way, but nice work anyways. (the 6x9's should probably be a bit more directional unless they're mid bass only)

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I wouldn't have done the glass that way, but nice work anyways. (the 6x9's should probably be a bit more directional unless they're mid bass only)

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerdude View Post
These are some of the build pics. We built the front, sides, top, and bottom and then fiberglass molded the backs to form fit into stock panels. Ours were a little more tricky because we built in a 6x9 box and made an area to mount 4 passive crossovers on each. All said and done they look nice (now that they are carpeted and done) and you can still lift spare tire cover. I will post completed pics tomorrow or maybe later tonight.
I thought about building something like then and coating with monstaliner with the rest of the cargo area. I'm not a sound engineer though. Is there much noticeable benefit to facing the smaller ones upward? I get a lot of dust build up from dirt roads and would rather face themsideways. Also thinking of making a 3" air pocket between the bedside and the speaker box with a slot opening on top (along the bottom edge of the window) so I can face them outboard to prevent damage from cargo. Sound reasonable?
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
Akrobatiks
2001 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black04lmtd View Post
Has anyone build a custom fiberglass sub box molded to their wj? Im interested in trying this out.. if anyone has any pics, could you post them? I looked into getting a stealthbox, but i wanted a little more power.. Im trying to maximize space in the back but need a good spot for my new 12" alpine type x..
thanks
Here are two boxes I had built for my car. 1 10" couldnt handle all the power my amp puts out and I kept frying woofers so I had Showtime audio rebuild it for 2 10's... Hopefully these give you a little inspiration.!!

Akrobatiks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
Black04lmtd
2004 WJ 

towerdude, i like the build, they came out real nice. Do you have any pics of them once you carpeted them? How was fiberglassing against the car? How did you anchor the box? I know some people put their boxes on the other side so that they can bolt it to the bracket that the cd changer was on..
akrobatiks, that second box with the two tens looks really sweet, whatd that cost approx? I only have the one 12" sub but i like the idea of it facing up like that, how does it sound compared to the way ur first box was set up?
Unread 12-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
purplecty
2003 WJ 

custom made box i bought from a buddy years ago. has 10" jl audio. i had it in my WJ a few years back with 2 12" jl audios as well and it was rockin, until someone broke in and stole my 12's.... i dont think they even noticed the 10" as it flushes in really nice on the drivers side LOL... i took it out and has been in my closet ever since... has a spot for a bolt on bottom that you can mount through floor to hold it in place...
img00124.jpg   img00125.jpg  
Unread 12-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
Red65
2002 WJ 

purplecty

Is that for sale?
Unread 12-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
purplecty
2003 WJ 

it could be i have no use for it really my wife drives the WJ and i have the spare in my way in my ZJ. i know these ones cost a pretty penny... but everything has a price.... not sure about shipping to jersey tho...
Unread 12-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
Red65
2002 WJ 

How much?
Tks Rich
Unread 12-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
Black04lmtd
2004 WJ 

how did you bolt it through the floor? Theres nothing in the way from the underside of the car? nice looking box btw..
Unread 12-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
purplecty
2003 WJ 

i never did it. has a mounting hole on the bottom tho i didnt want to drill through my floor... these are built for WJs i believe they used to sell them, dont know if they do nemore... i was always looking for the one for other side but never searched too hard for it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.