CURT hitch arrived scratched up - can I paint over powdercoat??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > CURT hitch arrived scratched up - can I paint over powdercoat???

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

Angry CURT hitch arrived scratched up - can I paint over powdercoat???

Okay, here's the story:

Researched receiver hitches online, decided on CURT for good reviews and heavy-duty even though I sorta like the way the hidden hitch/draw-tight "look" better.

So I received the CURT and it was in the OEM box and it is obvious they do not pack them well. What should be a beautiful powdercoat is marred by chips and scratches all over it and the CURT sticker was even boogered up! I know "it's just a hitch, but if it has any significant scratches, I prefer them to come by my own hand and not on a "new" product. So, I RMA'd the first one and another arrived in even worse shape! SO I'm stuck on what to do and here are some of the things I'm considering, but I need direction as to what you'd do and why, and also if I can in fact paint or truckbed coat over powder coating? (scuff it first or what?)

OPTIONS I'VE THOUGHT OF:

1.) paint/coat the CURT hitch and just keep it - path of least resistance but pride messes with me because I should not have to do this if ordering a brand new hitch!

2.) get a refund and order another CURT later on in hopes for fresh inventory - more risky too since less and less people making them for WJ now...I believe REESE stopped recently?

3.) order in a Hidden Hitch brand and see if it is in better shape before sending the second CURT hitch back (I have time, thx Amazon!) - if not, I could send either of them back or keep one as a spare

4.) send CURT back for refund right away and just get the Hidden Hitch/Draw Tight brand since I like the "look" better and paint/coat it if it is also poorly finished - the hidden hitch is cheaper made and costs more than the CURT, but the finish is just black paint and would be easier to fix if not perfect from the factory

5.) just use my existing Reese "OEM-style" (p/n 33018) hitch & bezel off my other WJ and replace the bumper on that WJ to a non-tow bumper since the bumper has some damage anyway - more work for me to remove and re-install and cut bumper to fit hitch. The hitch height would also be like OEM instead of below bumper like aftermarket hitches; since this Jeep is lifted I feel the aftermarket CURT/hidden hitch hitch positions the receiver at the proper height vs the Reese OEM-style hitch, but still wanted to mention it as a possible option if you guys like it.

OTHER SUPPORTING INFO:

I know there are some that would say I'm being to particular and it's just a hitch and use it. But there is a margin of error of what I will tolerate for a "new" product. These CURT hitches look like someone hooked them to a pickup and drug them for 50ft down a gravel road before they were boxed at the factory. Just too many dings to ignore, so I'm pissed that I have to come up with my own solution.

HOWEVER, I am not a fan of the high-gloss finish of the CURT powder coat so perhaps truckbed coating or low-gloss black paint would in fact look better. If so, would I just use some sand paper to scuff the finish before painting?

ALSO, if it was you, and you elected to paint or coat either the CURT or another brand of aftermarket hitch, would you prefer paint or truckbed coating? On my ZJ I coated all the skids but I merely painted the hitch when it needed it...I hate decisions where there is no clear best option LOL!

And finally, can anyone comment on the quality of the draw-tight/hidden hitch brand? I like the square-tube look better but if it is a POS, I may as well use the CURT since it is both cheaper and heavier-duty? But if the hidden-hitch is fine, then maybe it is worth it to get the look I prefer and an easier paint job if needed.

WJ - 4.7 H.O. Freedom
FastSUV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

nobody?

I guess the short version here is "can I coat or paint over powder coating"?
WJ - 4.7 H.O. Freedom
Unread 12-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #3
losttech

2000 WJ 

Well I have a different hitch that goes through the bumper the only one you can get that looks OEM and it had a few scratches just used some rustoleum spray paint looks fine.
Never going to be as good as powder coat but it is going to scratched up eventually anyways.

I do want to say the reese 33018 I really like looks just like factory its harder to do have to remove and cut bumper some but not super hard here is the link for it if you decide to return yours I would get this.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Really up to you if your really not happy with it return if worried about a few scratches I wouldn't and just spray the scratches but its not my rig.

Here is a pic of my reese
reese1.jpg  
losttech is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 06:13 AM   #4
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

I am a certified coatings inspector. Yes, you can paint over the powder coat; you must scuff it up well, 100-grit sandpaper. Make sure you wipe it down with some solvent to remove any grease, oil, wax etc.
99SK04GTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
rch105
1999 WJ 

Have you considered seeking out the services of a local powder coating business, prepping the one you have, then having them coat it? This way you'll be able to accept or reject the work they performed. Doing this will cut the time and expenses and you'll have what you want, a pristine hitch.
3.55's Stock
rch105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
MadderThanMax

^ Although he's right.. I wouldn't waste time, I'd get a refund and look else where.. that's not a good reference that its a mess before you lay your fair hand on it..definitely return it for sure.. don't waste time..
MadderThanMax is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I agree with MadderThanMax. If you paid for a finished product yet now have to spend money in an attempt to bring it up to par, then you didn't receive what was advertised. Contact CURT and have them swap you with a good quality hitch.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

That's BS get your money back or tell them to send you a new one, don't let then screw you over like that.
Jrboarder27 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
new2site
2002 WJ 

I had the same problem.... got off Ebay distributor....they sent pre-paid pickup for it and sent me another one...the other one was just as chipped. I haggled a little and stated I didn't want a third scratched up hitch and they refunded HALF of cost. I bought a can of rustoleum gloss black -- looks / worked great. $75 hitch...can't beat that.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 12:20 PM   #10
FastSUV
1998 ZJ 

thanks for all the replies...can I ask the last guy if he scuffed the hitch before painting and if so what brand it was? The REESE is no longer available anyway so I'm stuck with CURT or Draw-tight/Hidden Hitch/U-haul (all the same exact hitch). Thanks again for the opinions...The damage is more than just a few chips so that's why I'm frustrated..."perfect" is good, but "almost perfect" is still acceptable for a hitch. But not an 8" scratch in the powder coat and multiple chips down to bare metal.
WJ - 4.7 H.O. Freedom
Unread Yesterday, 02:31 PM   #11
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Tell them too send ya $20 back and go buy a couple cans of spray on bed liner and do it up right. Honestly how long do you think the original powder coat was gunna remain nick/scratch free being under the back of you Jeep getting road debre through at it.

-GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-IT'S A GREEN THING...
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 04:06 PM   #12
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Return it and either get another or a different brand from another retailer. Have them pay for shipping too.. It was damaged before you received it. They have no excuse IMO.. I bought my Reese hitch (its unavailable now??) online and it came scuff free. If you cant find one online, hit the junk yards for an OEM. I bought one for $30.

Spray painting/ DIY bed lining won't hold up for very long compared to the powder coating.
Plus a few other junkyard goodies...
dlundblad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.