Cruise Control not working(Brake light switch related) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cruise Control not working(Brake light switch related)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Billmild

Cruise Control not working(Brake light switch related)

Recently my cruise quit working. One day on the highway it was working. After slowing down and trying to start it back up it wouldn't come on/engage. I noticed today that unless my foot is pressing on the brake pedal the Cruise light will not come on. But if the brake is pressed you can't set the cruise. Would this lead to a bad brake light switch? Is there a separate switch for just the cruise to kick off when the pedal is pressed?

Billmild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billmild View Post
Recently my cruise quit working. One day on the highway it was working. After slowing down and trying to start it back up it wouldn't come on/engage. I noticed today that unless my foot is pressing on the brake pedal the Cruise light will not come on. But if the brake is pressed you can't set the cruise. Would this lead to a bad brake light switch? Is there a separate switch for just the cruise to kick off when the pedal is pressed?
Sounds like a bad brake pedal switch. With no braking, your switch probably shows some resistance, enough for the cruise not to work. when you press on the brake pedal, you are probably causing a break in the circuit, ∞ ohms, which the cruise sees as normal, no brake action. Are your brake lights staying on? Might be flaky. I am unsure, if the switch is unplugged, that the cruise will work. But then, I am no expert, just an ejukated guess.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.