Creaking Noise when Shifting Automatic Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Creaking Noise when Shifting Automatic Transmission

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
rspina
2002 WJ 

Creaking Noise when Shifting Automatic Transmission

I'm new to the forum. I recently bought a gorgeous 2002 JGC Limited with all the toys. I'm having an interesitng problem though and I can't seem to find anything on it in any of the forums.

Whenever I shift into reverse or drive (automatic transmission) I hear this loud creaking noise, almost as if the car was trying to move, but the brakes were holding it back (its kinda like rubbing your hand on a ceramic plate/glass). Any ideas what it could be? Other than that the transmission makes normal noises (the generic Chrysler buzzing noise) but I'm just worried about the creak noise.

rspina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You are exactly right... its the breaks rubbing on the rotor.
Try this... shift to neutral then let go of break... then shift to drive.
There will not be a squeek, mine does the same thing.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
rspina
2002 WJ 

is there a way to fix this? like would this require a realignment of the brakes or something? is it a caliper pin or something?
rspina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does it do it when you drive or just that initial jerk?
If it doesn't do it when you drive then you don't have to worry about it.
If it bothers you that much... then do a break job and it that doesn't help then new rotors.
I don't think it is anything that can lead to problems in the future.
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
rspina
2002 WJ 

The noise happens on that initial jerk, and also at very very low speed braking (<1-3mph). But I also have a bit of squeal at low speed stopping (between maybe 4-10mph). I'm not sure if that's just because of the brake pad material (I've heard the semi-metallics are quite noisy) or if something wasnt done right when the brakes were last service before I purchsaed. The front wheels throw quite a bit or brake dust (I cleaned them off twice last week) Could this be an indicator of a more serious issue?
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thats just your brakes, get them changed with some well know brand ones. Also check them for small rocks and debris, this can cause a squeek and also lead to a large about of brake dust.
Don't let it get to you it is not a serious problem.
Unread 08-04-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

I didn't think that was the brakes. Mine does that even if you have the brakes to the floor. There is no way I'm finding any play in the brakes when they are locked up. I thought it was coming from the transmission mounts or rear differential mounts as the drivetrain torques between forward, then reverse. Watch the drivetrain underneath (carefully of course) as someone shifts from drive to reverse.

Mine always did that. It doesnt bother me.

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
thnksno
1999 WJ 

It's the brakes... Changing them doesn't help, mine are new a couple months ago and properly setup, I did note though that the caliper brackets where the pads ride had wear spots, minor ones... This may be why mine still creak when shifting between F and R as there may be a little play for the pad to slip a mm or two?

I dunno... But am more inclined to think of how the brakes work. i.e. the stopping force of the rear brakes being a FRACTION of the front brakes. The creak definitely sounds like a creak heard from the fronts when lightly holding the pedal, like at a light. This being totally normal... I think the rears, no matter how much you stomp on them cannot hold the torque of the shift taking up slack of the drive line... Think about it there is a little play in every part between the wheel and the transmission. The transfer case, driveshaft, ring and pinion, axles and all have a little wiggle room... The transmission spins everything in one direction and slack is taken up allowing the torque to slightly 'freewheel' before putting down force which the rear brakes cannot overcome.

I found that slowing down that initial shift or letting go of the brakes mid-shift the noise goes away or is minimized to a light 'clunk' of everything coming together. Rolling a little backwards after reversing, lightly tapping the brake to a crawl then shifting to drive I hear nothing at all.
thnksno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

I think the noise I'm hearing is different. There's no shortage of odd noises in my Jeep, especially when it's freezing out.

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
ruggedscotsman
2000 WJ 

Its probably not the brakes, and nothing to worry about. According to lots of folks around here, it could be solenoid packs in the tranny. Mine makes a clicking/creaking sound going in and out of F/R and a clunk going into park, but the dealer says its fine.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/5...roblems-30660/
ruggedscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It is not just the brakes, it is the whole driveline loading with stress as you engage drive or reverse and it is common on Chrysler vehicles with some miles on em. You can see stuff move if you have someone shift the vehicle while you (CAREFULLY) look underneath. It does not mean that anything is wrong but I know I get some funny looks from people when in the parking lot. Short of replacing most of the items in the drive line I don't think there is much that can be done to fix the noise so I just think of it as the Jeep telling me it's rearing to go.
Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
thnksno
1999 WJ 

The transmission is a clunk or ticking, not a creak... I can pretty much demonstrate this "creak" numerous ways and am almost certain what you are hearing is a slight 'chatter' of the rear brakes unable to hold the discs while shifting.

For example, back down an incline and slow the truck lightly to a creep... Sounds just nearly the same as going forward and lightly releasing the brakes on the same incline?
thnksno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
mverne
2000 WJ 

check the balljoint and bushings on your rear upper a-arm...
I had a similar problem I was chasing for about a year and that was the culprit.
mverne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2010, 06:24 AM   #14
rspina
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
I think my final verdict was the brakes. The sound was absent when shifting without the brakes applied. Sure lost a few nights of sleep over it though.
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
99JGCWJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
x2 my 1999 Grand does it too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.