Crazy cosmetic questions from a new WJ owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Crazy cosmetic questions from a new WJ owner

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 10-23-2003, 10:20 PM   #1
Rhyno

Crazy cosmetic questions from a new WJ owner

I'm finally the proud owner of a Jeep! (2000 WJ) I'm starting my questions off with basic, little cosmetic issues and working my way up. Here's the deal...

1. How would one go about re-hi-lighting the white lettering on your tires?

2. How about removing dried, sun-baked spilled cola from the roof without damaging the paint?

3. And... after having some fun and scuffing up your body cladding (Laredo), is it possible to buff out your well-earned battle scars and how?

Thanks, in advance, for your input and I'm looking forward to being part of the wonderful world of Jeep!

-Rhyno

Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2003, 08:46 AM   #2
ccyoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno
I'm finally the proud owner of a Jeep! (2000 WJ) I'm starting my questions off with basic, little cosmetic issues and working my way up. Here's the deal...

1. How would one go about re-hi-lighting the white lettering on your tires?

2. How about removing dried, sun-baked spilled cola from the roof without damaging the paint?

3. And... after having some fun and scuffing up your body cladding (Laredo), is it possible to buff out your well-earned battle scars and how?

Thanks, in advance, for your input and I'm looking forward to being part of the wonderful world of Jeep!

-Rhyno
I can't help you with the first question, other than to say that if you end up replacing your tires, have wal-mart do it. They sell white letter goodyears for the wj at about a third of the price as regular tire shops. As for the cola, if it's sun-baked on your paint, I'd say the damage has already been done-go ahead and wash it off, or get some rubbing compound if its stuburn. I've seen what cola does to a cooper penny and can only imagine what it might do to a clear coat. Because it's the roof, you don't have to worry about how the spot looks as no one will see it. I'd just make sure that if it did somehow damage the paint, that you remove the damage and seal it back up to prevent rust. With respect to the body cladding scuffs, I don't know of anything that will take out scratch marks or gouges, but I do use a product called "trim detailer" made by Meguirer's, which makes my body cladding look like new. I'd highly reccomend picking up a bottle. I found it at my local Meijer's store.
ccyoder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2003, 12:39 PM   #3
Minus6

I can only answer the first question. The key to cleaning the white rised lettering on your tires is to uses a brillow pad and some car soap with water. Do not use this pad on the wheels, this will leave them permanitly scratched up. Thats just my .02
Minus6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2003, 12:51 PM   #4
ccyoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus6
I can only answer the first question. The key to cleaning the white rised lettering on your tires is to uses a brillow pad and some car soap with water. Do not use this pad on the wheels, this will leave them permanitly scratched up. Thats just my .02
One more response to the white letter question. I use Wesley's bleach white tire cleaner to get the whitle letters white again. Works great. If you're white lettering has been rubbed off by curbs or rocks, and you're trying to paint the white letters, which I've actually seen someone try, good luck. I don't think it can be done without looking extremely ghetto. Good luck.
ccyoder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2003, 09:15 PM   #5
Rhyno

Thanks for the quick and detailed replies! I really appreciate it.

Next up...

Does anyone have any recommendations for a rear air-deflector that really works? ...and where would you suggest buying it?

Thanks again!

-Rhyno
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2003, 09:01 PM   #6
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Meijer...LOL... CC... They only have Meijers in the North.. I used to live in Michigan.. There are no miejers south of Ohio..
Infact I am not sure there are any in South Ohio...
But I am sure he understands that its the same as WalMart..

Wait .... Do they have Walmart in Cali??(Do they have Walmart in Ohio for that matter?)

OK maybe AutoZone...

And as for the white letters.. While you are at (whatever autoparts or large department store you choose.) Pick up wesleys bleach white.. Its a tire cleaner and it will make those white letters look brand new.. Even after being covered in mud for a month..(Like mine)

Rubbing compound or a good coat of Turtle wax ( or whatever) will get rid of the coke stain.. And cover the damage .. If it is damaged..

Thats all ...

Good luck..

Carl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.