Crankshaft Postion Sensor - Stuck! Running out of ideas to remove! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Crankshaft Postion Sensor - Stuck! Running out of ideas to remove!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 2 door JK Recruit Half hardtop Kits Now available!

Unread 05-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

Wj Crankshaft Postion Sensor - Stuck! Running out of ideas to remove!

Hi Everyone!

For the last 2-3 days I've been trying to remove the Crankshaft Postion Sensor - it's over the starter on the 2002 4.7 - but it will not pull out. I can rotate it with my hand and pliers but that's about it.

I've tried prying it with a screwdriver only to break the bits and pieces off. I'm worried that I'm going to break it off and there will be nothing left to grab.

Just when I thought I had this figure out using big zip-ties and holes in the tire well - those holes seem to be there for that very reason... see pics... but that didn't work either. I put all my weight on to pulling the zip-tie only to eventually break the zip-tie. But got a couple good pulls on it... before it broke.

Here's the gallery link for bigger images: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-WfMfhF

Anyway I'm running out of ideas. Anyone else have a solution? Much appreciated!

John

JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
Jeeples
The Original 4DR Wrangler

2000 WJ 

Ran in to this issue on my buddy's 4.7, but we actually broke the sensor off.

Picked up a right handed drill adapter for a power drill from Home Depot/Lowe's and a shortened a sacrificial drill bit and drilled through the center of the sensor. We also used a much smaller shortened drill bit to drill around the outside of the sensor between the sensor and the block, being careful not to drill the block.

After that we took a coarse threaded screw and ran it in to the hole in the center of the sensor, leaving a short section of the shank exposed and clamped down on the exposed shank with a pair of vice grips and proceeded pry against the block. We ended up smacking it with a hammer to get it to finally pop out.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs, Bilstein Shocks, JKS TB w/KOR Bushings, Rusty's A-Arm Spacer, CORE4x4 Adjustable Front Control Arms, Dynomax Exhaust, RB1 Nav -Coming Soon- Overland Rock Rails
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #3
Nosrex
2001 WJ 

Best thing i found was to push some tie wire through the hole in the fender, wrap a loop around the sensor(kind of under the shoulders on the sensor). I connected the other end to a hammer and kind of swung it lightly like a make shift slide hammer. worked perfect, sensor came right out.
Unread 05-20-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

Thanks Guys! At least I feel a little better that I'm not the only one that had problems with this.

My next try I'm gonna wrap a wire around the sensor as Nosrex suggested. I thought about that too as I think the zip-ties are too flexible and give too much.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!

All I know is... once it's out I'm greasing the crap out of the new one before installing it!
Unread 05-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
solarisjedi
2002 WJ 

I had the same problem a few months back. It was a real bugger to get out. Seemed to be rust and debris build up on the hole in the block, which created a bit of a lip so that the sensor would not come out. I used a lot of PB blaster, and wiggled it and wiggled it and wiggled it and spun it and wiggled some more... it finally came out. I think I used a pair of needle nose pliers and a screw driver at the same time, wiggle with pliers while applying pressure with the screw driver.

I like your idea with the zip ties, wish I had thought of that. Have you tried wiggling/spinning it with pliers at the same time you are pulling with the zip tie (with some PB)?
solarisjedi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #6
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

Thanks solarisjedi for explaining why the sensor will not come out. I was kinda perplexed why it wouldn't budge. Makes sense about the rust. As you can see from the above pics there's lots of rust underneath. the original owner, from NJ, also spent a lot of time in Long Island and had jet skis and a boat that he towed and dropped in the ocean. This WJ has seen lots of salt from the roads of NJ to the LI South Shore.

Anyway I'm not making much progress but need to refine this technique. I wrapped electrical wire around the sensor and ran the wire through the wheel well holes and wrapped it around the wheel/tire... turned the steering wheel and placed a crap load of pull on the sensor but did not pull out. Eventually the electrical wire broke.

Today I purchased thin cable and will do the same technique but this time after I apply tension to the wheel, I'll lock the steering wheel, get under the Jeep and rotate the sensor back and forth and hopefully that will work the rust loose that's holding the sensor in. Will do later today...

Wish me luck!

John
Unread 05-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #7
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

No luck with the cable as the top of the sensor broke off... well bad luck is better than no luck at all! That's how the song goes anyway....

Even though this is my daily driver I have an old minivan that I've been using or I would have brought this to the dealer.

Anyway... as you can see the end part of the sensor is broken off. I first added tension to the cable via at the steering wheel and rotated the sensor back and forth about 90 degrees with a pliers. Hoping it would work itself loose. Wasn't too easy and only did it about 20 times or so with no luck of popping out. Liquid Wrenched the sensor again and added more tension. That's when the top of the sensor broke off. Sensor must be really stuck in there as I did put a fair amount of tension to the steering wheel.

Not sure what to do at this point... drill a hole in the sensor and run the cable through and try it again? Start drilling holes inside the sensor to hopefully collapse it? What about burning it out with a propane torch?

Thanks everyone!

John
Unread 05-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #8
DC99
2001 WJ 

Just a thought, how about grabbing the sensor with a pair of channel locks low near the block then use a pry bar using the block for leverage under the channel locks. Maybe drill a small hole in the sensor and put a long screw threw it so the channel locks wont slide up. Hope you are successful.
DC99 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2015, 04:54 AM   #9
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

Just went through this about two weeks ago...Cracked my skull once I popped it out, my head is still ringing from it, no lie.... What we did was a combination of the following...I had the Jeep up on the lift. Lots of spray lube, lots of wiggling and...sort of like a previous post mentioned, we locked on a vice grip and pried with a pry bar against the vice grips. One thing to note which I think is VERY important...When you pry, you change the angle of the sensor which in turn has you fighting yourself. With it not being straight, it wedges into the hole. So, every now and then, reach up and pull the sensor down to straighten it out again, give it some wiggle and some more spray, repeat repeat repeat. Also see if you can manage to change the pry point where you contact the vice grips, this will also help keep it more straight. This took me and another person about 2.5 hours. Getting the new one in sucks as well, we had to clean the hole, grease and do a bit of sanding on the sensor to get it in...I will also say this. I got an aftermarket sensor by accident, didn't know until after it was in. Car failed following day when it got to op temp. Had to wait 1/2 hr for it to cool, drive it 5 min then stalled again...So, make sure you have a mopar sensor.
outofrng623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions....

Another day... another fail! Don't know if this is good or bad progress:

Used a Vicegrip, wiggling, turning and prying with a long screwdriver. I was able to freely spin it... jiggle it... and wiggle it.... just couldn't pull it out. (I'm talking about the sensor guys!) Sensor eventually broke while prying it using the Vicegrip/long screwdriver/wooden block method.

Guess I'm on to Jeeples method of drilling and placing a screw in it.

The two holes that go through the fender-well line-up exactly to the sensor. I wonder if the Dealer has some kind of tool to help extract the sensor in this kind of situation. I'm sure that's what the holes are for.

I thought about getting a long drill to go through the fender-well. I'll need at least a 14" long drill as it's 13" to the broken sensor.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Could I use a propane torch to melt it out?

JV
Unread 05-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

Jeeeezzz....
At this point, I would drill...but, small holes all around the edge of the sensor to weaken it and have it start breaking away. Drilling straight through I would be worried about pieces falling into the case. What about something like a chisel? Maybe it would crack it, giving some play and help loosen it from the hole? How about an e-z out?
Unread 05-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #12
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

Yeah I think drilling small holes around the edge would be best. I do have a right-angle drill adapter... somewhere!

What's on the other side? Is there a hole to the crankshaft bearings?

Yes I have ez-outs... I'll use if needed but they work on the part being threaded.

Thanks Man!

JV
Unread 05-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #13
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

I just saw above that someone else had done the drilling method...
Compromise the integrity...break it apart from there.
As for the e-z out. Isnt there objective to grab so that you can unthread? Is there really a need for the item to be threaded? You may still get a spin out of the sensor which will loosen it up.
I think just a few drill holes will make a difference. Little extra room to play with, some extra area to spray some lube and getting the oring to break will probably help a lot.
Unread 05-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #14
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

Yes I think the ez-out will still help even though there's no threads to the sensor. It's gonna be interesting to see what's on the other side of this sensor!
Unread 05-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #15
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

Just a wheel with notches...lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.