Crankshaft Position Sensor NEED HELP!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Crankshaft Position Sensor NEED HELP!!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 03-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Corey_Jewell
2001 WJ 

Wj Crankshaft Position Sensor NEED HELP!!

2001 Jeep GC with the 4.0L

I need help with locating it and pictures, if anyone has any, and the best way to get it all done! Mine is goin out or is bad completely and i just cant find a thread that has a detailed or good enough for me to look for it. i know no one can get it done just by typing it to me, but if i had enough on it i can get it done, just have to find the time.

Also, which one would you recommend to replace it with?, lke product wise. I dont want to buy a part and the darn thing crap out on me down the road.

Unread 03-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
seu83
2002 WJ 

You have 3 ways to get to it. From the top(if you have long arms and patience), bottom if you remove your front ds, and through the firewall. There's only one bolt that holds it in, I think it's a 13mm but I'm not a 100% on the size. There's a couple different write ups out there in how to get the bolt going through the firewall. That did make things alot easier. Only use a mopar sensor. Yes they are double the price of local part stores but they last. Jeeps are VERY picky about cheap sensors. If it was a TPS or something easy to change I'd say take a chance but don't waste your time with a cheap crank sensor. Unless your want practice replacing them.
seu83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
ironman70
2002 WJ 

order MOPAR sensors...always. I got mine from Kolak...very good price.
ironman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
smilez

Quote:
Originally Posted by seu83 View Post
You have 3 ways to get to it. From the top(if you have long arms and patience), bottom if you remove your front ds, and through the firewall. There's only one bolt that holds it in, I think it's a 13mm but I'm not a 100% on the size. There's a couple different write ups out there in how to get the bolt going through the firewall. That did make things alot easier. Only use a mopar sensor. Yes they are double the price of local part stores but they last. Jeeps are VERY picky about cheap sensors. If it was a TPS or something easy to change I'd say take a chance but don't waste your time with a cheap crank sensor. Unless your want practice replacing them.

i think 11mm. i been reading about this.

OP what are your symptoms? my check engine light says p0301 p 0304, and p1391 (cam/crank)

i plan to replace mine as well.

by the sound of it its easier to remove x-member lower tranny 3-4" and take out sensor. its toward the bottom held by a 11mm bolt.
smilez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
ironman70
2002 WJ 

i saw a thread in another forum about being able to go through the WJ floor. Seemed to be easier that getting at the sensor from below. I'll try to post it when i get home.
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
jennygirljeep

crank shaft

it located on rear driver side of engine toward the middle. Very had to get to need small hands. good luck
jennygirljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

From the inside cabin...in front of shifter...under neath carpet....ther is an access hole...Google it.
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
smilez

Quote:
When I replaced it on my 4.0 WJ, I went a little different route:

- Pull back the carpet near the accelerator pedal until you can see where the shift cables go through the transmission tunnel to the transfer case / transmission brackets.

- There are 2 bolts holding the steel (or brass?) plate to the transmission tunnel...remove those (10MM I think, but just going from memory).

- Once you have that plate and the cables pulled up and out of the way, you shine a flashlight through that hole toward the front of the jeep and you'll be looking directly at the CPS sensor - it's maybe 5-6" away if that.

- I used a 1/4" drive socket set and extension (smaller diameter extensions) and went directly through that access hole to remove the bolts holding the CPS in - you still have to remove the sensor by hand from above but that's not hard once it's unbolted.

I have some pics somewhere, but it may take me a while to find them. Let me know if you need more info!

-- mitch
found this. life may have just become more easier
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
ironman70
2002 WJ 

yeah, thats the basic instructions i found as well.
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
PhantomWJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilez View Post

found this. life may have just become more easier
Yup....thats it. I did a write a while back with pics...
PhantomWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Corey_Jewell
2001 WJ 

Thank you all! This is exactly what I needed!! I am gonna buy the sensor and replace it so the jeep will stay runnin! Thanks everyone!
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
smilez

Did it work for you. Doing it tomorrow
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
smilez

Just did it.

Little brass color bracket unde carpet to the right of pedal.
They are held by 10mm nuts

Than 11 mm socket with extention for the sensor.
I had to use an swivel extension to dip it down some. Since the bold seems a bit lower than what the whole is at.

Putting the screw back in was a bit of a pain but pretty easy to do.

So far car running fine.

Before after a few mins it would boggle down than lose power. Had to turn off and restart for it to go back to normal.

During my process a found a crankcase valve hose broken, the one that goes under the air box . Fixed it hopefully all is good now
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
wjidaho
1999 WJ 

I fought that sensor all last week finally took it to a shop with parts and labor it was only $120 here the sensor was only $40, it was over 100 degrees here in Boise so paying the labor on it was not a bad thing with me, only hard part was letting some one else work on the dub

My build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wjidahos-expedition-build-1904282/[/url]
wjidaho is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.