Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

CPS issue? Electrical issue?

364 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Squarecat 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this and if it is, please direct me to the right place. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7. About a week ago my wife was driving it back from the lake on empty and stopped and put about a half a tank in it. Once she started going down the highway and booking it I might add the Jeep just shut off. Once it came to a stop she tried to start it and it would turn like it's trying to start but maybe it just didn't have a spark. I check the fuel pressure line and had no fuel. I towed it home and dropped the tank and changed filter and fuel pump. Now has fuel in lines but no start still. Next I changed the CPS with a cheap $28 CPS from auto zone. Still no start. I switched the asd relay and the fuel pump relay with no luck. I look at my gauges and they aren't working. I then changed the spark plugs simply because they were old. I went to Mopar and got a mopar CPS and then removed all ground wires and unplugged the PCM/ECU. I disconnected the battery and installed the new CPS from Mopar. I started it up and it wouldn't idle but would stay on as long as I keep gas going to it. I finally got it to idle and drove about a half mile down the road before it started and the gauges which has went back to working were once again not working. I went back home and unplugged and checked all relays and fuses and went to Molar and got another CPS to try. Still nothing. Any ideas? I could greatly use the help. I am not a mechanic by any means just some redneck trying to figure things out.

See less See more
#3 ·
How's your battery? No start and gauges going nuts is similar to my WJ when the battery was dying/died. Other sensor affecting starting is the CPK, but that's a PITA to install given its location.

#4 ·
Ya, the only thing worse than tracking down gremlins and spending time & money on various parts is finding out it was an overlooked or disregarded simple & cheap solution.

Spring is the time for electrical & mechanical gremlins because the wider temperature swings tend to get all those old metal & plastic fittings expanding & contracting.

Start at the beginning of the ignition chain, the battery, and then a link at a time (terminals, clamps, cables, grounds, etc.) Don't jump ahead without any clear, specific symptoms (and even then I'd walk thru for sake of maintenance.)

Besides, any place with snowy winters or 90°+ summers is rarely more than a few years away a new battery and the rest of a WJ is now 13-18 years old...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.