A couple of questions re the 4wd in my new toy - JeepForum.com
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A couple of questions re the 4wd in my new toy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06

Unread 09-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
A couple of questions re the 4wd in my new toy

After reading and googling and reading and googling some more I am confused over which 4wd setup my car has.

It is a 2004 sport 2.7 Diesel.
Its a 5spd auto
The 2nd level has 4All Time/N/4Lo
And it says "Quadra Trac"

1) So from the above, I should assume it has Quadra Trac but from what I'm reading Quadra Trac doesnt have the 2nd lever with the N and 4Lo so I'm uselessly confused. again from what i've read and comparing it to what is visual on my car, I would have Quadra Trac II but it doesnt say that so...

2) On another slightly less important point (for now), I understand that Quadra Drive system will balance torque accross the same axle, is this NOT the case with what I have? Is there no torque transfer accross the same axle, is it only between front and rear?

3) Finally, I've read about Brake Lock Differential, does this apply to my case?

Sorry for the silly questions and as always comments are greatly appreciated.

plisken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
2004 WJ 
I'm gonna assume u have Quadra Trac 2 with open differentials meaning power will go to the least resistant wheel. But there's also another transfer case that's only AWD and has no N or 4LO. Check out wjjeeps.com
Jeep's have engine's not motors.
If you own a Jeep, then u shouldn't be worried about MPG.
Castrol Edge 10W30 Advanced Full Synthetic
04 WJ Overland 4.7 H.O. Inferno Red
mr312712 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.