could someone do a writeup for me? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > could someone do a writeup for me?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
wj_jeep92
2002 WJ 

could someone do a writeup for me?

hey guys Im getting about ~12mpg on my stock rig. so ive decided to change my fuel filter and see if that helps it out any. so if someone could do a writeup on how to change the external filter (from my understanding there are two) i would appreciate it. i looked on wjjeeps and i couldnt understand what they were getting at.

wj_jeep92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

The one in the tank isn't meant to be replaced. The replaceable filter/regulator is held on by 2 bolts, just above the rear axle and the fuel line simply press and pull off.

99 - 04 Grand Cherokee Mopar Trackbar
NP 242HD Transfer Case

WiCkeDuDe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
volvite
1999 WJ 

I might be able to. I'm currently putting a lift on my jeep and since i need to replace mine anyway I'll see what I can do unless someone else has already done it.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj_jeep92 View Post
hey guys Im getting about ~12mpg on my stock rig. so ive decided to change my fuel filter and see if that helps it out any...
I don't understand something here. How can a plugged fuel filter cause poor mileage?
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
wj_jeep92
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvite View Post
I might be able to. I'm currently putting a lift on my jeep and since i need to replace mine anyway I'll see what I can do unless someone else has already done it.
i havent seen one done for a wj yet so i encourage you to do it
Unread 09-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
wj_jeep92
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrogers View Post
I don't understand something here. How can a plugged fuel filter cause poor mileage?
no idea. if i had to make a guess i would say it clogs up a little bit and restricts fuel flow, which would make it feel less powerful and require more skinny pedal which feeds more fuel into it. if that bs i just spewed it right, that'll be 10.00
Unread 09-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

The filter assembly is also the pressure regulator on the WJs. Thats usually what goes bad, not the actual filter.

99 - 04 Grand Cherokee Mopar Trackbar
NP 242HD Transfer Case

WiCkeDuDe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj_jeep92 View Post
no idea. if i had to make a guess i would say it clogs up a little bit and restricts fuel flow, which would make it feel less powerful and require more skinny pedal which feeds more fuel into it. if that bs i just spewed it right, that'll be 10.00
I don't think that line of reasoning applies to a fuel injected engine. The computer commands the injectors to provide the proper amount of fuel based on the air flow through the throttle body. So restricted fuel flow would only come into play at wide open throttle and only if there was not enough fuel available. I'm pretty sure this is not coming into play during normal driving. And I would think this situation would result in misfires (which would show up as P03XX codes).

A more likely reason for poor fuel mileage could be a bad TPS which is telling the computer that more air is passing through the throttle body than actually is. The computer would then command too much fuel to be injected. I'm not sure the computer can detect this situation?

But hey, I liked your explaination. Maybe more beer will resolve the issue!

Unread 09-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
dlwilson42
2004 WJ 

There is some discussion of this issue in this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/hello-jf-bad-mileage-question-1103937

I think that if the fuel pressure regulator is too high, then too much fuel will pass through the injectors when the computer opens them. I just bought a $16 fuel pressure gauge at Harbor Freight, and this weekend I will check my fuel pressure, before replacing the fuel filter/regulator. First I need to go through the manual and see what the pressure should be.
Unread 09-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwilson42 View Post
There is some discussion of this issue in this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/hello-jf-bad-mileage-question-1103937

I think that if the fuel pressure regulator is too high, then too much fuel will pass through the injectors when the computer opens them. I just bought a $16 fuel pressure gauge at Harbor Freight, and this weekend I will check my fuel pressure, before replacing the fuel filter/regulator. First I need to go through the manual and see what the pressure should be.
Be sure to post your results here! Thanks.
Unread 09-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
dlwilson42
2004 WJ 

I updated the other thread, but basically I saw a steady 50 psi at the rail, which is just right. No need to replace the filter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.