Coolant recommendation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coolant recommendation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
jjfred2112

Coolant recommendation

What type of coolant should I use for my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 L6? I was talking to someone who was saying universal coolant is not recommended. If that is the case, first, what kind of coolant should I look for? And secondly, can I get that type at my local auto part store (auto zone, advance, o'reilly, etc....)

jjfred2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
specia1k
2004 WJ 

I've been using the Advance Auto Parts brand recently (5yr/100K) full strength then mix 50/50 with distilled water. I've recently replaced the Water Pumps so drained the coolant as part of the procedure. Reading the label, it appears to be the same ingrediants as the anme brand. No different than generic brands at the drug store. Label's the same as the name brand, just not paying for the price increase due to advertizing.
"Three daughters, three Jeeps"
specia1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Zerex G-05 or dealer fluid. Zerex is a decent price and is a HOAT coolant.

Edit: I get the Zerex from O'Reilly Auto Parts...
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
cbeck
2004 WJ 

I had my radiator replaced due to a leak when i bought my 2004 GC Overland (75K) and after checking with the shop, it appears they used universal fluid in the new radiator (it was not a Chrysler shop).

Should I be worried and flush and replace with HOAT now, or just let it go until next scheduled flush?
cbeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

This is from wjjeeps.com:

Quote:
Coolant recommendations and cautions:

The recommended mixture is 50/50 ethylene-glycol and low mineral content water. Never use pure antifreeze. Only Mopar Antifreeze Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (glycol base coolant with corrosion inhibitors called HOAT) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% distilled water.

Antifreeze mixture must always be at least 44%, all climates year round. Maximum protection (-90d) is provided with a 68% mixture protection. If the percentage is lower than 44 percent, engine parts may be eroded by cavitation, and cooling system components may be severely damaged by corrosion.

CAUTION: Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Mixing of coolants other than specified (non-HOAT or other HOAT), may result in engine damage that may not be covered under the new vehicle warranty, and decreased corrosion protection.

CAUTION: Do not use coolant additives that are claimed to improve engine cooling.

4.0L coolant capacity:

1999-2000: 13.0 qts. (including 2.3 qts. for resevoir)
2001-2004: 15.0 qts. (including 1 qt. for resevoir)
There are many people on here using universal fluid and have no problems. I personally stuck with HOAT to avoid issues. If it were me, I'd look into flushing it out for HOAT coolant, but I also wouldn't rush like the engine was going to blow up.
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
jjfred2112

Thank you everybody for the feedback. I appreciate it. I will be getting some HOAT for sure. I'm at 130,000 miles and I want it to last even longer so I am wanting to take care of it.

JF
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
thisguyhasadd2
2002 WJ 

I got mopar hoat 2 gallons undiluted for like 42$
Colorado Jeep Club Member#259
thisguyhasadd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
jjfred2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
Zerex G-05 or dealer fluid. Zerex is a decent price and is a HOAT coolant.

Edit: I get the Zerex from O'Reilly Auto Parts...
How much do you do? 70/30? 60/40? 50/50?
Unread 01-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I did 50/50 or very close to that. In the above quote:

Quote:
Coolant recommendations and cautions:

The recommended mixture is 50/50 ethylene-glycol and low mineral content water. Never use pure antifreeze. Only Mopar Antifreeze Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (glycol base coolant with corrosion inhibitors called HOAT) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% distilled water.

Antifreeze mixture must always be at least 44%, all climates year round. Maximum protection (-90d) is provided with a 68% mixture protection. If the percentage is lower than 44 percent, engine parts may be eroded by cavitation, and cooling system components may be severely damaged by corrosion.

CAUTION: Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Mixing of coolants other than specified (non-HOAT or other HOAT), may result in engine damage that may not be covered under the new vehicle warranty, and decreased corrosion protection.

CAUTION: Do not use coolant additives that are claimed to improve engine cooling.

4.0L coolant capacity:

1999-2000: 13.0 qts. (including 2.3 qts. for resevoir)
2001-2004: 15.0 qts. (including 1 qt. for resevoir)
It does offer other options but basically you want more than 44% antifreeze and not more than 68%. It's easiest to just do 50% in my opinion plus I *think* that creates a good balance between engine protection and cooling.
Unread 01-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
jjfred2112

Also, I have been looking for instructions on how to flush out my coolant system but I have not had any luck. Anybody help with that?
Unread 01-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Here's how I 'flushed' mine at home:

1. Drain radiator and the radiator overflow tank.
2. Fill radiator with distilled water.
3. Start Jeep (with heater on) and bring to operating temperature (note, if you remove the thermostat, there is no need to bring it to operating temperature since the water will be able to circulate fully) and let the new distilled water circulate for a few minutes.
4. Turn off Jeep.
5. Let cool.
6. Repeat Steps 1-5 multiple times.

Once you've done this over and over, the distilled water should have mixed with and drained most of the old coolant out.

7. Drain the system one final time, add 2 gal of straight HOAT coolant, and top off with distilled water (the capacity for my 04 WJ (same for 01-04) is almost 4 gallons. If you can get 2 gallons of coolant in, you are guaranteed to have at least a 50/50 mix).

Note: The radiator does not hold 2 gallons in and of itself. What I did to aide in cramming the 2 gallons of HOAT in is I drained the radiator by removing the lower radiator hose. This allows extra coolant to come out of the hoses and engine. I also made sure the overflow tank was empty. Then, when I refilled, I was able to get the 2 gallons in between the radiator and the overflow tank. In time, that overflow tank should circulate in with the rest of the coolant.

The other option is to have the dealer/mechanic flush it with a machine. Definitely easier as long as they use the correct coolant.
Unread 01-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

I have been running "universal" coolant in both my WJ and TJ without issue.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.