Coolant leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coolant leak

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 08-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
jmcconville87
2000 WJ 

Coolant leak

I have a v6 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It's always had a small coolant leak since I bought it. The leak has now gotten much worse and coolant is leaking through my passenger side. I noticed there was a puddle of coolant on the passenger side floor. I'm wondering if anyone knows what could be causing this and any advice on how to fix the problem would be much appreciated.

jmcconville87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcconville87 View Post
I have a v6 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It's always had a small coolant leak since I bought it. The leak has now gotten much worse and coolant is leaking through my passenger side. I noticed there was a puddle of coolant on the passenger side floor. I'm wondering if anyone knows what could be causing this and any advice on how to fix the problem would be much appreciated.
Heater core. You will have to do a dash removal, take apart the HVAC box and check out the heater core. It most likely has a leak.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post

Heater core. You will have to do a dash removal, take apart the HVAC box and check out the heater core. It most likely has a leak.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
^^Yep. And I have to say something, it's an inline 6. Much better than a V6.
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcconville87 View Post
^^+3 on the heater core. Mine had the exact symptoms, including the passenger side drips on the garage floor.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

What color is the coolant. Green, yellow, orange?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #6
jmcconville87
2000 WJ 

The Coolant is green. Is there a way to slow down the leak? I don't have the money to get it fixed or the time to do a complete dash removal right now. So I just keep topping the anti freeze. Should I keep my AC off? Is there any solution to buy me some time. I'm going through a tank of coolant every two weeks or so. I'm a novice. I've done a few things, changed oil, fixed window regulator, replaced hood struts... Does anyone have an estimate of the time it would take to replace the heater core or if it's even worth a novice like myself attempting? Thanks for all your answers I appreciate it!
jmcconville87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

I'm kind of a novice. I've done quite a bit, but still learning. I did a dash removal using the YouTube videos and it turned out great and easy, just tedious. If you take it somewhere, it'll run ya around $1000. You can get a plastic or metal piece to bypass the heater core with. Just unhook the water lines from the heater core next to the firewall and you just won't have any heat. Let us know how it goes!
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Tampaguy

What Jer-Bear says is correct--there's a good 2-part video on YouTube that will walk you through the entire process. He's also right about the cost if you take it to the stealership; about 8 years ago, I had a bad actuator that required removing the dash, and they charged over $1000 for the job. Back then there was no YouTube video, but I did have a warranty, so I let them do the job. But when they finished, I found a nice puddle on the passenger-side floor, so they put a tube in to divert it outside--I've since learned this is a common problem.

Look on the bright side: it's time-consuming and tedious, but you'll eliminate the problem, avoid the stealership and become one w/ your WJ. After that, it will only break down enough to maintain its dignity...
Tampaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

In your life you will have at least one and possibly two heater core pop.

The sooner you come to terms with it...........roll up your sleeves and do it.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.