Coolant leak - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coolant leak

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 06-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #16
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminal View Post
Your radiator is bad and leaking steam/droplets under pressure because the factory plastic end caps that are crimped to the aluminum have developed a seal failure. Over time this will get worse and eventually be quite obvious where it was coming from all along. Just bite the bullet and buy a new radiator.
That's a pretty specific and certain diagnosis considering how many ways a Jeep can leak coolant

Just kidding, that's actually how my stock radiator died and is probably common. However, the OP already stated he has already installed a new radiator and is still getting a leak.

ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #17
ialatham4
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminal
It's most likely that your radiator is simply bad and leaking steam/droplets under pressure because the factory plastic end caps that are crimped to the aluminum have developed a seal failure. Over time this will get worse and eventually be quite obvious where it was coming from all along. Just bite the bullet and buy a new radiator.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...hread-1533764/

Make sure to check your fan and relay. Failure of these components could have caused extreme pressure making the radiator fail to begin with. All of those component failed on mine -- including the radiator -- a few years ago and has been fine every since I put new ones on.
This is a brand new radiator. And I have searched every where and still can not seem to find where it is leaking from but I do know for sure that it is on the passenger side and not running along the bumper
ialatham4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #18
Terminal
2000 WJ 

Ah, I didn't see he replaced the radiator already - even though it could be defected, too. With all those replacements, you would have certainly went ahead and bought new radiator hoses... Buy some dye and put a light on it, then.

You're sure it's antifeeze, right? If it's AC condensation, I'm gonna laugh you out of this thread.
Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #19
ialatham4
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Ah, I didn't see he replaced the radiator already - even though it could be defected, too. With all those replacements, you would have certainly went ahead and bought new radiator hoses... Buy some dye and put a light on it, then.

You're sure it's antifeeze, right? If it's AC condensation, I'm gonna laugh you out of this thread.
What does the dye do?
And yes I am positive it's antifreeze lol
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
Terminal
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialatham4 View Post
What does the dye do?
And yes I am positive it's antifreeze lol

The dye has special UV tint in it and when you shine a black light on it, you can trace exactly where it is coming from.
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
ialatham4
2001 WJ 

Quote:

The dye has special UV tint in it and when you shine a black light on it, you can trace exactly where it is coming from.
Where can you get the dye?
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:41 AM   #22
Terminal
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialatham4 View Post
Where can you get the dye?

http://justgit.com/?q=Cooling%20Syst...20oz.%20(375CS)
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #23
Galaxie500LTD
2001 WJ 

You can probably borrow a coolant pressure tester from a local parts place. I had a mysterious tiny wee leak and I found it with a pressure tester. You can pressurize the system without getting the engine hot and then you can look and listen for that leak.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.