Coolant leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coolant leak

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
diabsoule

Coolant leak

My 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is leaking coolant. There is a puddle where I park. Some days is seems to leak a little while other days it leaks a lot. I added coolant to the reservoir on Monday and by Friday it was at the add line again. The Jeep does not over heat while driving but will over heat if left idling. Any clues as to what is wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
TSyl
2001 WJ 

Could be a few things. Radiator, water pump, heater core, etc. More info would help, where's the puddle, what year Jeep, i6 or V8, etc.
TSyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
diabsoule

It's a 2001 6 cylinder 4wd. the puddle is pretty much center towards the front of the engine. I only have coolant underneath the engine. Nothing on the hood or on top of the engine.
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

I had a small leak two months ago, it would leak worse on cooler evenings and not leak at all when running or during warm days parked. Turned out to be the o-ring seal on the thermostat.

I had a BIG leak start last week, opposite symptoms, leaked while under pressure and after I first parked it but slowed to a stop when the engine cooled. That one turned out to be the side seam of the radiator. I'm awaiting the nice UPS man to bring me my new radiator as I type...

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
TSyl
2001 WJ 

Center up fron suggests water pump, t-stat, radiator. Though typically the radiator will leak from the side where the plastic tanks are attatched. I would look first at the water pump or t-tstat.
TSyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.