Coolant flush - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coolant flush

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
bigred1821
2004 WJ 

Wj Coolant flush

Hey guys. I would like to do a coolant flush on my 04 GC 4.0 and I just want to verify the procedure as I have never done it before. First, open the petcock at bottom of radiator and let it drain out. Then to flush it, fill radiator and reservoir with distilled water and run the engine until the fan kicks on, circulating the water through. Then, I open the petcock again and drain water out and fill with proper coolant/water mix. Then run it, shut off, let cool, top off, etc. Does all this sound accurate? Any tips or help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

bigred1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Take out thermostat, drain radiator, fill radiator with distilled water, then start vehicle with heater on for 2 minutes. Repeat 3 times for a good flush. Pull the overflow tube from radiator side and let it hang. Gravity will suck the reservoir dry. Mix with proper coolant and replace tstat.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
bigred1821
2004 WJ 

"Pull the overflow tube from radiator side and let it hang. Gravity will suck the reservoir dry."

Is that the hose from the reservoir that runs along the top of the radiator and into where the radiator cap is?
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
bigred1821
2004 WJ 

I forgot to ask this earlier but I removed the reservoir tank by removing the two bolts and pulling off the hose to the top of the radiator and cleaned it up a bit and when I went to go put it back, I noticed that I didn't see where the hose on the back side of the reservoir tank came from. My guess was that it's just for overflow because it comes from the very top of the tank near the cap and that it just hangs. Or does it attach somewhere? I couldn't see anywhere that it would go.
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Duh

If the coolant is bad or the wrong type, i like to run the engine with the drain open and a hose stuck in the top of the radiator. Running clean water through amd the bad out at the same time. I do it for a good 30 minutes or so, its usually clear by then. But if you have hard water then dont bother with this method. Normal flush i drain and refill with water 2-3 times before filling with coolant.
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
bigred1821
2004 WJ 

Thanks Muddy and Duh. Any ideas on that hose from the top of the reservoir tank?
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

There should be a hole in the wheel well a little bigger than the diameter of the hose.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
losttech

2000 WJ 

I had an issue with my drain valve not opening so I had to disconnect the bottom radiator hose which is kind of a pain but it all worked out.
Filled with Zerex G-05 and distilled water should be good to go for a long time now
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
bigred1821
2004 WJ 

Thanks for the replies everyone. Everything seemed to go well except that when I was running the engine to cycle water through, cold water was coming out of the condensation drain that sticks out of the firewall underneath the heater core. And it wasn't just dripping out, it was like pissing out. But when I turned the heat off, it seemed to at least slow down. Then when I was finished flushing and refilling, I took it for a drive and then parked it and somehow overnight, it still kept dripping out in the same spot. I didn't get to check it because I was leaving for work but I am hoping that's not coolant. My question is, is it normal for condensation to come out with the heater on? Or should I be worried that the heater core is leaking?
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Sounds like you may have a heater core issue, do you have a wet passenger floor?
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
bigred1821
2004 WJ 

No I don't have a wet passenger floor. I knew that was a tell-tale sign of a bad heater core. When I got home today after running the heater for a 45 minute drive, I took a quick taste test of what was leaking and its not coolant, just straight water. Still doesn't make sense why water is draining from the condensation drain when the heat is on.
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #12
Vaporhead
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred1821 View Post
No I don't have a wet passenger floor. I knew that was a tell-tale sign of a bad heater core. When I got home today after running the heater for a 45 minute drive, I took a quick taste test of what was leaking and its not coolant, just straight water. Still doesn't make sense why water is draining from the condensation drain when the heat is on.
If the defroster was on, the A/C compressor runs to pull the moisture out of the air. You were prolly just seeing the condensation from that.
Vaporhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
bigred1821
2004 WJ 

Thanks Vaporhead. I forgot about the a/c compressor turning on. Makes perfect sense now.
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
georged
2004 WJ 

Question on opening the drain valve: When looking at the bottom of the radiator from the engine side forward, turning the valve which way opens it?
georged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
Tagg

Turn COUNTER-Clockwise to Open.
Tagg is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.