Control Arm Bushings Coming Out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Control Arm Bushings Coming Out?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 05-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Control Arm Bushings Coming Out?

Take a look at this:

Passenger side upper control arm/axle bushing

Driver's side upper control arm bushing

Drivers side lower control arm bushings

Every control arm bushing I've seen has been pressed in all the way up to the flange. These look like they are not all the way in or well on their way toward falling out (especially driver's side upper). Thoughts?

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
negativecreep
1999 WJ 

Kinda curious about this myself. I just noticed something similar while looking for the source of some clunking sounds.
negativecreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I am getting married in two weeks and taking a road trip for the honeymoon. I wasn't planning on dropping an axle before then. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Unread 05-17-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I am getting married in two weeks and taking a road trip for the honeymoon. I wasn't planning on dropping an axle before then. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
um, congratulations?

in all seriousness, one of mine looks just like that, and I think it should be pushed in to the "lip" of the bushing. Just my $0.02

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Can I get someone to check what the FSM says about pressing in control arm bushings? Or even someone to look at their axle and say "yup looks like that" or "nope, pressed all the way in"? Either of those would be a big help.
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

i just took my axles out earlier today, let me go check for you. give me a min
Unread 05-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
malibubts
2002 WJ 

Just checked my FSM and it doesn't say anything really about the control arms. Just how to remove them. The only thing it mentions about the bushings is which bushing goes where.
malibubts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Steve01WJ
2005 WK 

Mine look like that and I get alot of clunking over bumps. I have the same issue or sway bushings. Ill Follow

05 WK 5.7 Limited QD2
Steve01WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

the pass upper bushing is pressed in with the lip of the bushing flush against the axle housing, the driver upper bushing has a 1/2 inch between the lip of the bushing and the axle housing. The lower control arm bushings have 3/8 in between the lip of the bushing and the control arm. So it looks to me like your bushings are fine.
Unread 05-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I just changed sway bar bushings to brand new OEMs. That helped with body roll as the originals were quite squishy. I've narrowed down the clunking to the JKS QDs which is really disappointing. Thank you for the reassurance, fellas!
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
I've narrowed down the clunking to the JKS QDs which is really disappointing. Thank you for the reassurance, fellas!
Some local guys have complained about the clunks from JSK QDs on other Jeeps.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well they are for sale. RCs on the way. If anyone wants them, they are more than half off what I paid. They are certainly strong and very easy to remove when needed. I would just hate to throw them away when I know there are people out there buying them new.
Unread 05-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
JakeWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Well they are for sale. RCs on the way. If anyone wants them, they are more than half off what I paid. They are certainly strong and very easy to remove when needed. I would just hate to throw them away when I know there are people out there buying them new.
I've started collecting parts to do a 2" BDS lift (thanks in large part to your write-up, ), and have been putting off ordering sway links. I'm hoping to keep it "clunk and rattle" free, and I would hate to have those making noise up front. I had only really considered the Zone fixed links for 2-3" lift, or the JKS quickers. Of course the Zone are not quick disconnect, but that should mean no noise.

I haven't seen any feedback on the RC ones. The site says they are for 3-6" lift, but I suppose they'd be fine with a .75" spacer up front. Price is pretty good too. I'll be curious to see how you think they compare to the JKS set.
JakeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #14
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I'll definitely report my findings. They should be fine at 2" lift as well. The sway bar might sit at a bit lower of an angle than it should, but not by much. I did read from one fellow that broke one recently (they are a LOT thinner than the JKS parts) but RC replaced it right away. If you wheel with them discoed then they will have a lot less stress. Street driving for a month is a lot less stressful than a day of wheeling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.