Considering boat sides - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Considering boat sides

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 08-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
scottsorensen
1999 WJ 

Considering boat sides

Thinking about biting the bullet and boat siding my wj. Been doing some work underneath and my rockers are in terrible shape. Was planning on throwing some sliders on but might. As well cut em out and do boat sides. Anyone have any suggestions or advice before I dive in? Anything would be greatly appreciated

scottsorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
scottsorensen
1999 WJ 

Anybody?
scottsorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

What exactly is "boat sides"?

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't seen many WJs with boatsides.

I was looking at mine today considering how I would do this. Probably wouldn't be too hard to build a flat piece of 3/16 and run it between the frame rail and the rocker bottom, then run a little strip above it up to the bottom of the door.

Since the frame rail isn't as low as it is on a frame and body vehicle, its going to be a much lower angle boatside.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

http://www.youtube.com/embed/BcILpnIibMM?showinfo=0
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

Not sure what link I posted. Look up 2004 WJ. Hes a member on here. He did it.
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

Large Marge's Very Own Build Thread
I was originally bitten by the Jeep bug when I was 15 - bought a 1987 YJ w/4.2 AMC I6 and holes in the tub you could fit your fist through. By senior year in HS, it was lifted 5.5" with 33x12.50x15 with wagon wheels, bull bar, rear high clearance bumper, and patched and painted General Lee orange with a gloss black hard top. My buddy and I also had an infatuation with lights and wired 8 - 55 watt Walmart Baja driving light specials. It was pretty, but rode rough as hell and had original gearing in D30 & D35; on a good day I was getting 12 MPG. (I'll add photos when I dig them up). Long story - short: it was a budget build and needed a few extra grand to make 100% safe and reliable.

When I left for SUNY Geneseo, I needed something that was going to be easier on the wallet and lucked out with a family friend selling his 1997 Laser Red Mustang. Drove that for the next four years at school.

Fast forward to 08/2009. Purchased Marge with 62,XXX on her. Two owners before me, and she was shipped upstate from NYC (less salt). Needless to say, I was eager to get back into a Jeep, although this time I was opting more for comfort and reliability. I lucked out in finding a 2004 WJ SE I6 w/heated leather, power seats, and Infinity Gold system. I had promised myself buying a WJ would keep me from making mods that, once started, would never stop. I was dead wrong.

I was in a minor fender bender and had the grill and lower fascia insert repainted black.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

I then added the Radioshack 1/8" stereo panel jack to the Infinity system to allow iPod playback, and wired-in my 2x12" JL W3 subs with 600 Watt cheapo amp (I'm no audiophile; I just like deep bass).

My dog being soothed to sleep.

Then came a bunch of research and a slowly pieced together lift from members here on JF. I ended with Rusty's 2.5" springs and hydro shocks, a JKS adjustable track bar, Rusty's extended rear sway bar links, and .75" spacers from dahrkstorm on Ebay. I also fell in love with the Moabs from JKs on our Grands, and lucked out by stealing 5 Moabs from someone on Craigslist for $80. I also was able to source a total of 12 255/75/17 BFGoodrich KMs on Craigslist - giving me shoes for the next three years.

Buddy Sean helping:

Finished

Pups posing.
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

Sorry I'm on my phone. Look up the link for large marges build thread.
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Saturn's White Whale had boatsides. I want to say AP has boatsides on his WJ, too. I'm contemplating take a little off the bottom of the door and doing some boatsides. I'd like something like this, just not as extreme:

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Yes, you want boatsides. Do it.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.