confused and dont know what i am doing - please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > confused and dont know what i am doing - please help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 08-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
greta
2004 WJ 

confused and dont know what i am doing - please help

hi,

my radiator had a leak so i bought a new one and replaced it. what is the smaller looking radiator in front of the big/main radiator? is that some type of transmission cooler? there are four silver lines that run into it (2 on each side)... i didnt want to disconnect those lines because i wasnt sure what they were?? basically i just finagled the big radiator out after taking off the upper hose, lower hose, and resovoir hose... put in new (big) radiator and reconnected hoses...

any help is appreciated

2004 WJ GC (current)
2006 WK GC (current) 5.7L HEMI Limited QDII
greta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
SirCussFreq
1999 WJ 

More than likely yes, that's the transmission cooler. I want to say that mine only had 2 lines on 1 side of it though - send and return lines. That may just be a model year thing though, mine's a 99 with a 4.7 and I know they changed the location and line routings etc in different years, and different engines. I'm not sure what the extra 2 lines would be there for, but I'm not an expert by any means.

Easiest thing would be to just trace one or two of the lines and see what they're connected to. A picture would also help to identify the part.
SirCussFreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
aestrad1
2000 WJ 

Trans or power steering cooler
aestrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Is it possible the OP is referring to the A/C condenser? The A/C condenser is a thinner looking coil & fin cooler that is nearly as large as the main radiator. The power steering cooler would be a very small unit compared to the A/C condenser and radiator and on the 2004 (the year of the OP's WJ) the transmission cooler was integrated into the A/C condenser I believe. I am betting on the A/C condenser.
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
SirCussFreq
1999 WJ 

I suppose it's possible, but IIRC I believe the condenser is to the side of the radiator, not mounted in front of it. Again, pics would be very helpful
SirCussFreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

There's already discussion on this with pics:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...uting-1349886/
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.