Condensate Drain Access - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Condensate Drain Access

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
jawilson20

Condensate Drain Access

I have what appears to be the common passenger floorboard lake due to the poor design of the condensate drain.

I have read many threads on many boards, and it seems the best fix is to extend the length of the drain tube. However, I have absolutely no idea how to access it. I have seen that on other models the frame had to be cut in order to access the drain. Is this the case on the WJ as well? If so, I suppose that I will initially try sealing the hole from the interior with caulk. Is regular silicone going to be the best bet in this instance?

jawilson20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Clean it out first:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...ml#post3885949

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
jawilson20

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have found plenty of threads on drilling through from the inside of the car. However, a lot of those threads seem to suggest that often times the drain is not actually clogged and the problem persists until they are able to extend the length of the hose.

I would like to try the option that doesn't require drilling through anything if possible first. That is where I am lost, for those that have extended the hose length, how on earth do you get to it? I can see it from under the car, but there is no logical way I can see how to get to it.
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Extending it will not unclog it.

You can extend it 400 feet if you want, but the passenger floor will continue to get wet until you unclog it.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
oldfamilyguy

If its not clogged then extending it and sealing the firewall opening from the outside will definately solve it. Run vehicle parked with a/c on long enough to generate some water and observe if its dripping to the ground. You can look up and see where it exits through the firewall. If it is then you're not clogged and its likely a/c water getting wind blown back through the firewall when you're rolling. I fixed mine with an elbow shaped rubber extender made for this type application on dodge caravans and totally sealed all around on the outside of the firewall with silicone. Totally dry since then. For sure it was very awkward to get at but do able and I have big hands. It was awhile ago but I think I remember considering dropping the starter to gain some work room but managed without. And if it looks to be clogged, you can still access it with a wire to poke around in there from the outside opening.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
jawilson20

I proceeded with drilling through the back side of the drain in order to clean out the drain line and as expected, the leak has continued.

What is the next course of action? I am thinking of trying to remove the foam gasket and resealing the pass through with caulk. Thoughts?
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
jawilson20

OK... Guess I will be removing the gasket and attempting to reseal this weekend! Wish me luck!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.