The Comprehensive BDS/FatBob's 2" Lift Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Comprehensive BDS/FatBob's 2" Lift Thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #91
ScottJeepArlVa

I ordered all my parts today for the 2" lift based upon this thread. Will take before and after pics. I can't wait to get everything in and get it put together! Also going to get a new set of tires. Currently running 17". Will post pics of everything!

Thanks for a great thread.

Scott

ScottJeepArlVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #92
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Update:

Today I did a little work on the front suspension. I had noticed a creak/groan on bumps with large amounts of travel -- wasn't sure it was the sway bar but it sounded like typical sway bar groan which I have experienced before.

So I set out today with a bag of the American Muscle lug nuts (oo!), a $25 pair of 3/4" poly spring spacers from ebay user "dahrkstorm" and a set of JKS Quicker Disconnects. I also equipped myself with my favorite tub o' grease and a grease gun for the QDs.

American Muscle lugs are pretty self explanatory. They are 13/16" where the OEM nuts are 18mm with a chrome cap making them a 19mm. So, the stock lug wrench won't work. I picked up a collapse-able 4-way from Harbor Freight whick I tucked under the rear seat with the original lug wrench. The American Muscle lugs are well made. I found no defects in the thread or chrome finish. The tapered area in contact with the wheel is slightly smaller than the OEM nuts, if you care. Shouldn't be an issue.

The 3/4" spring spacers were to level things out. With the spacers installed, I now have the following hub-fender measurements:

Front: 20-7/8" Rear: 21-1/8" - so the rear is only slightly higher than the front now and the overall stance looks just right.

The JKS Quicker Disconnects were not planned, but last time I went to the trail I had trouble getting to the bottom bolt on the passenger side sway bar end link due to the position of the drag link and tie rod. So, I picked them up with a 10% off coupon from Fat Bob's.

The tub o' grease was for something entirely different. With the stock end links out, the front sway bar would barely move under human power. Unacceptable. It's a piece of suspension. It is supposed to move. So, I decided to grease it! I dropped it one side at a time and greased it up. The OE skid plate is in the way of the sway bar bushings and the bumper is in the way of the skid plate so I just reached around and slowly dropped it with a ratchet. Cleaned and greased up the bushings and now the sway bar moves freely.

The combination of the proper-length end links (with spherical bearings instead of fixed rubber bushings) and a now-movable sway bar made the ride quality downright sumptuous. It's hard to describe because I wasn't unhappy with the ride before, but now it is just so much better. Anyway, a FREE "mod" I recommend to anyone who is in there is to grease up the sway bar bushings so that it rotates freely.

Loving the WJ....

Richard
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #93
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

A couple pics of the new stance with 2" BDS springs, 3/4" front spring spacers, Bilstein 5100 shocks, new spring isolators, and JKS Quicker Disconnects.

Hard to get good pics right now because it is still getting dark when I get home, but these are decent. Also, I haven't washed the WJ in a month!
Unread 03-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #94
Gosses04
2004 WJ 

Just did my IRO 3" kit and wanted to shoot a thank you this way, b/c of this thread i went ahead and ordered new lower spring insulators, and thank goodness i did b/c they were in terrible shape when i got the jeep apart! thanks for the informative thread.
The fronts weren't too bad, but the pic below is of the rear, the new one on the left and the old worn one on the right!
iphone-115.jpg  
Gosses04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #95
Gosses04
2004 WJ 

geezz sorry i didn't mean for the picture to be so massive!
Gosses04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #96
Silver04WJ

I ordered all of my parts for my lift. Waiting for a day when I can do everything. I ordered 2.5 inch OMU lift springs, 5100 Bilstein Shocks and lower spring isolators from KOLAK. (Thanks for your help and superior service in helping me select the very best setup for my WJ). I will post pictures when I can snap some. I will be going with 255/70/16 General Grabber AT2 tires. I can't wait for all this to be done.
Silver04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #97
JeepWJ26
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver04WJ View Post
I ordered all of my parts for my lift. Waiting for a day when I can do everything. I ordered 2.5 inch OMU lift springs, 5100 Bilstein Shocks and lower spring isolators from KOLAK. (Thanks for your help and superior service in helping me select the very best setup for my WJ). I will post pictures when I can snap some. I will be going with 255/70/16 General Grabber AT2 tires. I can't wait for all this to be done.
Im interested to see how your turns out. I just received my 2.5" OME springs. Post pictures if you can. Thanks and hope it goes well.
JeepWJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #98
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

Nice rig. Were did you get the sway links?
Unread 04-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #99
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Thanks!

Fronts - got em from Fatbob's Garage with a 10% discount code, cheapest I could find.
Rears - having a buddy make them when he has time. Just cutting/sleeving/welding stock links. One of these days when we get done working 50 hr weeks we'll get around to it. In the meantime, no big deal running without a rear sway bar.
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #100
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

I like it. I need some for my zj I know I get a longer set from rustys but are these better?
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #101
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

They pop on and off in about 20 seconds and are adjustable and greaseable. They are pretty quiet but not entirely silent. I think with some fine tuning of the end link lengths I can add a little preload and eliminate the occasional clunk they give me.
Unread 04-12-2011, 06:14 AM   #102
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

Nice. May get a set for myself
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #103
JeepWJ26
2002 WJ 

So I found this after going through the rockauto website: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php , you got all eight parts listed here? Thanks. Installing the lift within the month.

I went in, clicked Jeep, grand cherokee, I6, suspension, coil spring isulators. 8 came up. 2 front uppers, 2 front lowers, 2 rear uppers, and 2 rear uppers. Is all eight necessary? Thanks.
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #104
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I got all 8 of them from RockAuto, yes. I felt that all 8 were necessary as all 8 showed significant distortion. The least affected were the rear uppers, but all needed to be replaced on my vehicle.
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #105
JeepWJ26
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I got all 8 of them from RockAuto, yes. I felt that all 8 were necessary as all 8 showed significant distortion. The least affected were the rear uppers, but all needed to be replaced on my vehicle.
Thanks, thats what I wanted to know.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.