The Comprehensive BDS/FatBob's 2" Lift Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Comprehensive BDS/FatBob's 2" Lift Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #76
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice! Glad to see your enjoying your Jeep's new found capabilities. that first pict. sure looks tight to the door mirror. Beautiful trails you have out there by the way.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #77
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Indeed! I ran that trail 3 times (it was the best trail there IMO) and tagged the mirror twice. There was also a branch that got me from the A-pillar back each time.

Couple new pics from my buddy from Sunday below. Not disco'd but later on I realized I probably should have been when the trail got REAL sketchy. For Sunday we spent most of the day in terrain too difficult to stop and take pics.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #78
Bowhunt24
2000 WJ 

Richard - Just read all the new updates. The wheelin' pics look awesome! Ahhh, can't wait to lift mine up and hit a few trails. I think I've finally settled on the BDS 2" kit (including the BDS shocks), new isolators (thanks to your write up), and 3/4" front spacer to level. I figured I could figure out the install as I went but your write up is going to make it cake.

Where were you at in E Wa? A couple of pics looked like the douglas creek/waterville area but I don't think there is an ORV park there. When mine is ready we will have to do some runs together!

Also regarding the sway bars, is necessary to extend them for the lift to live up to it's full ride quality potential on road? I like the idea of quick disco's for off road use, but most of my driving is on road. Stock ones work okay?

Thanks again for all the great info!

Evan

PS, I'm also curious about the upper shock sleeve fitting right with the BDS brand shocks. I'm going to email them and ask if they fit in nice like your Bilsteins or if you have to modify them.
Bowhunt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #79
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I was at "The Slab" which is north of Zillah. Then we took a 43-mile off-road "shortcut" from Yakima to Ellensburg.

I would say the rear sway bar end links really need to be extended. If you hit a bump in a corner, it does all sorts of weird things as the rear sway bar binds up. If you turn left from West Lake Samm Parkway to NE 85th/Redmond Way going West you will feel the rear suspension bind and it tosses the rear around side to side because the end link is at such an angle that it just pushes up on the bar radially instead of tangentially, so the arm doesn't rotate...just binds.

The front end links you can leave alone, but QDs are nice

I've heard the BDS 5500 shocks are REALLY good twin-tubes. You'll have to let us know how you like them!
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #80
Bowhunt24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I would say the rear sway bar end links really need to be extended. If you hit a bump in a corner, it does all sorts of weird things as the rear sway bar binds up. If you turn left from West Lake Samm Parkway to NE 85th/Redmond Way going West you will feel the rear suspension bind and it tosses the rear around side to side because the end link is at such an angle that it just pushes up on the bar radially instead of tangentially, so the arm doesn't rotate...just binds.
HAHA, I make that exact turn every day I go to or from work. It's a gnarly off camber one which is why I'm sure it is messing with the sway bar. Good to know! So it sounds like rears extensions first, then quick disco's for wheelin' in the future.
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #81
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah...that's the turn that really highlights the rear sway bar issue since it is off-camber and you have the ruts in the road going up the hill...and since I know where you work I was reasonably certain you either knew of it or drove on it on a daily basis. For normal corners and ride, not as much a problem, but yes... you're on the right track with the mod path you have laid out ahead of you.
Unread 02-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #82
BDS-Tech

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunt24 View Post
PS, I'm also curious about the upper shock sleeve fitting right with the BDS brand shocks. I'm going to email them and ask if they fit in nice like your Bilsteins or if you have to modify them.
The sleeves do fit tight- I hate putting shocks on a WJ and hearing the constant squeak and clunk from ill-fitting shocks. It really transfers into the cab.

tech@bds-suspension.com
phone: 517-279-2135

http://www.bds-suspension.com/
BDS-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #83
Bowhunt24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS-Tech View Post
The sleeves do fit tight- I hate putting shocks on a WJ and hearing the constant squeak and clunk from ill-fitting shocks. It really transfers into the cab.
Thanks for the reply Jason! Good to know about the shocks. That should make the install that much easier.

Also, someone mentioned a 10% discount for ordering through jeepforum.com? What do I need to do to take advantage of that?
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #84
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I put a link in the #1 post on this thread for the JF BDS Discount. Also, FatBob's is having a 10% off sale right now with coupon code "WINTER2011"
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #85
Bowhunt24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I put a link in the #1 post on this thread for the JF BDS Discount. Also, FatBob's is having a 10% off sale right now with coupon code "WINTER2011"
You the man Richard!
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #86
BDS-Tech

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunt24 View Post

Also, someone mentioned a 10% discount for ordering through jeepforum.com? What do I need to do to take advantage of that?
To be patient until next week.

tech@bds-suspension.com
phone: 517-279-2135

http://www.bds-suspension.com/
BDS-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #87
ScottJeepArlVa

Richard,

This is a great thread. My Jeep is really riding rough and does seem to sag. I am new to the site and I am gonna treat my 99 WJ to the 2" lift and shocks (and tires when done) I will follow the thread and let you know how it goes with before and after pics. Thanks for a great post!

Scott

Last edited by ScottJeepArlVa; 02-14-2011 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: name error
ScottJeepArlVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #88
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Welcome to JF! Glad to help. PM me if you have any questions.
Unread 02-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #89
Bowhunt24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS-Tech View Post
To be patient until next week.
I've been so patient!!!!! Any new news on super duper special deals for us amazing jeepforum folk?
Unread 02-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #90
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/b...count-1100461/

Click on "Vendor Ads" under the BDS-Tech user name.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.