The Comprehensive BDS/FatBob's 2" Lift Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Comprehensive BDS/FatBob's 2" Lift Thread

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #61
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. What I ment by the upper shock mount was if they fit right in. Or if the sleeve and bushing were undersized like every other aftermarket shock. Bilstein seems pretty top notch ,so I guessing they fit right. Not like these other brands where the shock # cross references to different makes of vehicles. Then you wonder why the valving seens like it's set up for a 3/4 ton truck and they don't fit without modification.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #62
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Not the best pic, and not the same location, but here ya go.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #63
straty1987

would of it been easier to just compress the coils and swap the isolators instead of redoing everything?
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #64
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I don't think so. I have a spring compressor and power tools to make it easier. I guess you all seem to think this is a lot of work. It was actually more work making this thread than doing the physical job.... and I had my fiancee do the work the second time and she has never once turned a wrench. It still only took 3 hours.

It is really this easy:
Jack up vehicle
Remove wheels (5 nuts)
Loosen bottom bolts of shocks (2 bolts/nuts)
Remove sway bar end link (1 bolt)
Remove spring (it almost falls out)

Again... NO NEED FOR A SPRING COMPRESSOR WHEN THE SPRING PRACTICALLY FALLS OUT ON ITS OWN.
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #65
straty1987

ok i see your point.
being in the rust belt the less bolt i have to take off the better for any job.
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #66
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

Great thread Richard. Thank you!
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #67
NewtonGT
2000 WJ 

I was about to ask about spring compressor but I got it now. great thread.
NewtonGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #68
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
Thanks. What I ment by the upper shock mount was if they fit right in. Or if the sleeve and bushing were undersized like every other aftermarket shock. Bilstein seems pretty top notch ,so I guessing they fit right. Not like these other brands where the shock # cross references to different makes of vehicles. Then you wonder why the valving seens like it's set up for a 3/4 ton truck and they don't fit without modification.
I never actually answered this.

Yes, the rear Bilsteins fit fine. The OEM bolts are stepped and seat perfectly into the sleeves at top and bottom of the shock. The box they comes in even says "WJ 2" lift" on it unlike a lot of shocks which somehow cross reference back to a Ford F250. Not a coincidence you mention a 3/4 ton truck...
Unread 02-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #69
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

OK so I spent all weekend wheeling, did 11 miles of technical trails, climbs/descents at an ORV area on Saturday and did 43 miles of Back-country travel on old wagon roads in Eastern WA.

Springs and shocks did great. I was very glad I lifted as there were a lot of areas I knew I would not have made it without a lift. I only scraped maybe a half-dozen times and hit a rock slider once. I ran disco'd on Saturday, not disco'd today. I was never wanting for flex and the off-road ride was decent. We hit a lot of terrain today that was much harder than the ORV area, stuff much harder than I expected, and the lift/QuadraDrive/SilentArmors didn't let me down. Only my 29" tires kept me from climbing an aggregate ledge where I didn't have enough purchase to get up. I also pulled out a stuck K5 Blazer and the WJ didn't even squat, just pulled and he was up.

One issue - aired down to 15psi, the left rear tire rubbed a little on the shock. I am running no rear swaybar right now but it is going back on. With the right end links, the rear isn't as limited by the sway bar as the front.

Some pics from Sat:

From Sunday (getting more soon from my friend who took pics of me whilst I took pics of him):

That was a 35º-45º hill climb, 1500' elevation gain on loose rocks/rubble. Holy hell it was hard!

Unread 02-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #70
narnwv

2000 WJ 

awesome pics man. Good looking ride .

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #71
sherker55
2004 WJ 

Nice write up man, nothing but the best from you!

I can second the coil isolater problem. Mine were so rusted that I could not get the new coils bases to sit down 100% (only about half way on actually)...at the time I didn't realize what the problem was, and for the life of me, and a lot of grease, just couldn't get them on. I popped off the isolaters, and the perches were so rusted that the expanding of the rust caused the perch diameter to be waaaay too large....it had actually stretched them out so much that the new ones could sit inside the upper part of the old ones. anyway, I wire brushed the hell out of them, and hit them with a bunch of marine grease. I didnt do the rears at the time because they weren't giving me a hard time like the fronts. When I add my 3/4" spacers to the rear though, I will be doing new lower isolaters!
sherker55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #72
Millertime06
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherker55 View Post
Nice write up man, nothing but the best from you!

I can second the coil isolater problem. Mine were so rusted that I could not get the new coils bases to sit down 100% (only about half way on actually)...at the time I didn't realize what the problem was, and for the life of me, and a lot of grease, just couldn't get them on. I popped off the isolaters, and the perches were so rusted that the expanding of the rust caused the perch diameter to be waaaay too large....it had actually stretched them out so much that the new ones could sit inside the upper part of the old ones. anyway, I wire brushed the hell out of them, and hit them with a bunch of marine grease. I didnt do the rears at the time because they weren't giving me a hard time like the fronts. When I add my 3/4" spacers to the rear though, I will be doing new lower isolaters!
How many miles are on your jeep (the factory isolators) just kinda wondering, also same question to billz. My 04 WJ only has 49000 miles on it.
Unread 02-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #73
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well I had 113k on it when I lifted it...but regardless of miles, you've had 4000lbs of metal sitting on 8 rubber blocks for the last 8 years.
Unread 02-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #74
Millertime06
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Well I had 113k on it when I lifted it...but regardless of miles, you've had 4000lbs of metal sitting on 8 rubber blocks for the last 8 years.
Yeah I thought about that , still time on there. Was just kinda wondering though. Ill def at least do the bottoms, thanks.
Unread 02-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #75
Silver04WJ

Great write up I will be ordering my springs, shocks and isolators soon

Thanks
Silver04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.