The Comprehensive BDS/FatBob's 2" Lift Thread - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Comprehensive BDS/FatBob's 2" Lift Thread

Currie RockJock Products!!This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes weEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #586
WiLieR
1999 WJ 

A double cardan is a type of cv joint. There several different types of "constant velocity" joints.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-velocity_joint

Tossed onto the interwebs via iPhone

Unread 08-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #587
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yes, a Double Cardan joint IS a type of Constant Velocity joint. But in common vernacular, the Rzeppa joint is often just called the CV joint because it is essentially the "textbook" constant velocity joint. Most of the time I call it a Rzeppa joint, but around here if someone says CV, assume they mean Rzeppa.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #588
Ravie
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Yes, a Double Cardan joint IS a type of Constant Velocity joint. But in common vernacular, the Rzeppa joint is often just called the CV joint because it is essentially the "textbook" constant velocity joint. Most of the time I call it a Rzeppa joint, but around here if someone says CV, assume they mean Rzeppa.
Yes.
Unread 02-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #589
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

thinking of purchasing this lift and was wondering if any one can tell me about the "performance 8000" shocks option. Im not expecting any thing amazing just wondering, more so in terms of on road handling.
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 02:24 AM   #590
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Nah, you would be more happy with some Bilsteins, do it right first time.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #591
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Nah, you would be more happy with some Bilsteins, do it right first time.
Yeah I've heard enough about bilsteins to know they're great but there not in my budget that's why. I was Asking about the " performance 8000"

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using JeepForum
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #592
Kolak
Vendor

I have some good budget friendly shocks available that don't ride harshly and perform well. PM me if you'd like to chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboarder27 View Post
Yeah I've heard enough about bilsteins to know they're great but there not in my budget that's why. I was Asking about the " performance 8000"

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using JeepForum
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #593
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone installed this lift with a 247 t-case? I'm currently replacing all the control arms on my wife's 2004 wj saving the rear A-arm for last.
I already have new isolators, and am now thinking about putting this lift setup on as well. The front driveshaft is where I'm concerned: rezeppa at the t-case, u-joint at the front axle. I am going to tackle rebuilding the rezeppa soon. My question, how is anyone with this style driveshaft holding up?

I'm pretty stoked to be lifting her wj. Lower control arms alone were toast, add replacing them today firmed some looseness up. It'll be nice to totally revamp everything. I even scored a set of rubicon moabs from a local jk owner.

What size tire can be run on this wheel and lift setup(prefer NOT to use spacers if I can)?

Thanks guys for all the help
Unread 04-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #594
Upside
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowismellow
Has anyone installed this lift with a 247 t-case? I'm currently replacing all the control arms on my wife's 2004 wj saving the rear A-arm for last. I already have new isolators, and am now thinking about putting this lift setup on as well. The front driveshaft is where I'm concerned: rezeppa at the t-case, u-joint at the front axle. I am going to tackle rebuilding the rezeppa soon. My question, how is anyone with this style driveshaft holding up? I'm pretty stoked to be lifting her wj. Lower control arms alone were toast, add replacing them today firmed some looseness up. It'll be nice to totally revamp everything. I even scored a set of rubicon moabs from a local jk owner. What size tire can be run on this wheel and lift setup(prefer NOT to use spacers if I can)? Thanks guys for all the help
My front driveshaft setup is the same except with a 242 transfer case. My rezeppa joint failed after 25k miles with this lift, it had 136k on it by that point so maybe it would have failed by then anyway. I didn't wait for it to completely disintegrate though, there was a vibration on the highway and upon looking further found a broken boot with grease thrown about. If you have the V8 your driveshaft will be shorter since the transfer case is closer to the front with that engine. I'd suggest changing out your transfer case yoke and swapping in a double cardan driveshaft. With the V8 you can just buy those used or rebuilt, for the 4.0 buy a V8 ZJ double cardan from the junkyard. I have purchase my new yoke and just need to pick up a junkyard driveshaft.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #595
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep is a 4.0 with a 247 case. I should've mentioned that. So what is involved in changing to a dc style shaft up front?
I've pulled 231 cases apart many times, but never a 247. How does the front yoke attach?
Unread 04-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #596
Upside
2002 WJ 

The yoke has a nut in the center, zip it off with an impact wrench and then install the new u-joint style yoke. I would install a new seal at this time. I need to order my seal and do the install myself.

The nut is 28mm and torque spec is 90-130 ft lbs according to the shop manual.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #597
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome news! Is the rear the same? That seal leaks so I need to pick that up.
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #598
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Google how to fix 247 transfer case, then you Will find a full Go thrue with pics and everything, looked into it before, but never did it, looked doable though.

Good luck!

Edit, found it for ya, http://www.ehow.com/how_2179550_disa...se.html#page=3
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.