The Comprehensive BDS/FatBob's 2" Lift Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Comprehensive BDS/FatBob's 2" Lift Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #31
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Very helpful thread! How's the offroad performance?

Edit: Just saw that you'll be taking it out in February. Good luck!

74 Nova - 2" drop and disc conv. Sold.
My videos
tizzdizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #32
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yes, I am with MS as an a-. Great place to work!

And yes, I'll be wheeling it Feb 5th.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #33
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you plan on running 245/70/17's on JK rims. Be prepared to do some trimming of the splash shield and re-adjustment of the front bumper mounts. I ended up taking the bottom clips out of the bumper facia and pulling it out. And then drilled new holes for the clips. Also had to remove the factory mud flaps. It may not be as bad with a less agressive tire, but the Duratracs still seem to make contact on large dips at full speed. I may end up going to 3" coils. Cheaper than new tires.:

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #34
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Thanks for the tip! Duratracs have such an aggressive, deep tread (something like 19/32 new) that a lot of people find rubbing issues with DTs where others have none. I think most would agree that it is worth it though!
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #35
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes, by far the best tire I've ever used in light snow,deep snow ,slush, dry pavement noise level is very good for such an aggressive tread. I've hardly had it in 4wd this year.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #36
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well my spring isolators took 2 days to ship and are on 3-day shipping. ETA on them is 01/24 which means I WON'T be doing them this weekend as planned. I'm sure glad I paid extra for rush shipping!

[edit]RockAuto get them to me on Friday instead of Monday. So, I was glad to get them on time and got the job done this weekend.
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #37
Bowhunt24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Well my spring isolators took 2 days to ship and are on 3-day shipping. ETA on them is 01/24 which means I WON'T be doing them this weekend as planned. I'm sure glad I paid extra for rush shipping!
Could you explain real quick what the spring isolators are? I've done lifts and leveling kits on stuff before and have never run across that term. Should I be considering replacing them as well when I do my BDS lift?
Bowhunt24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #38
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

It is the rubber spacers on both ends of the spring. They isolate the spring from the body and axles. They mostly reduce road noise. A lot of cars/trucks do not have them.
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #39
Bowhunt24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
It is the rubber spacers on both ends of the spring. They isolate the spring from the body and axles. They mostly reduce road noise. A lot of cars/trucks do not have them.
AH, Probably why I didn't run into them on my F-150...

How much did your replacements cost? I mine as well do mine when I tear the suspension apart. Better than tearing it down twice!
Bowhunt24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #40
metalhead
2000 WJ 

Does the lift allow you to crawl under the jeep without having to jack it up or is a 3 or 4 inch lift necessary for this?
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #41
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

How much were just the springs I want some.
MStaffin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #42
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

@Bowhunt - the replacements were $102 +/- and I overpaid for rush shipping which won't be here on time. Frown. That's a better price than O'Reilly though, so I guess there's that.

@Metalhead - I can already fit mostly under there already. Well enough to change the oil even using a creeper The extra 2" lift will help.

@MYGrandcherokee - I provided DIRECT links to the places I purchased the springs from. Do your own clicking. Also, there is a 10% discount link from BDS in my original post. Go click it.
Unread 01-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #43
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, I did not expect this, but the RockAuto order came on Friday 01/21 instead of Monday 01/24. So, I will be installing all the new isolators, updating the thread with part numbers, and providing before/after pics/measurements. And also teaching the fiancee a little about cars!
Unread 01-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #44
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Man I put 31x10.50x15 BF Goodrich KM2's on with the OME coils and I had to cut an *** load of my bumper away and I am still rubbing on something when going over snow bumps. 3" of lift and beefy 31's=plenty of trimming.
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #45
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Job done. Pictures and thread update coming...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.