The Comprehensive BDS/FatBob's 2" Lift Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Comprehensive BDS/FatBob's 2" Lift Thread

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 01-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #16
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Then I had my front and rear mixed up. I'll pm you my hub to fender measurements after we're finished tomorrow to see how much lift I acquired.

Unread 01-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #17
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Update!

Good News

I did my first commute to/from work, and the ride is still very good. Dare I say "better than stock"? Yes. I dare. The better handling is one thing but something I hadn't expected is the improvement in response/weight transfer. I'm not just talking side-to-side, but the transfer during acceleration is so reduced it feels like it responds better to the gas pedal. The overall effect is that the WJ does not feel so heavy any more.

Bad News

I looked at what spring isolators are supposed to look like. Mine are definitely F'd. Seeing as how I had sagged 5/8" on stock springs and my 2" lift yielded exactly 2" of lift from old/worn out stock...it is time to do isolators. That means it is time to do this job again. At least it was easy! It would have been easier to do it all at once.

The moral of the story - when in doubt, pull it out. I got the Raybestos "Professional" line from RockAuto for cheaper than the local parts stores can do for crap-grade parts. I'll be seeing them this coming weekend and doing the job Saturday with another before/after.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
jhc5
2001 WJ 

Great writeup!

Thanks so much for posting this! Once you are all done (new isolators, spacer for the front?, extended links?), it would be great if you could update the parts list in the initial post. This is the exact setup I want to run soon, and I know I'll be printing this out when the time comes.
jhc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #19
Scibbyz99WJ
1999 WJ 

gotta say i second his post in #17

i just finished my fbg bds coil install today. it rides better than it did with spacers, it takes bumps better. and handles the load better.
but due to my stock length rancho rs5000s. its does not ride as good as it did stock. so ill have to wait a bit longer to get some new correct length shocks. and then compare it to stock ride

Closed minds should go hand in hand with closed mouths
Scibbyz99WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #20
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc5 View Post
Thanks so much for posting this! Once you are all done (new isolators, spacer for the front?, extended links?), it would be great if you could update the parts list in the initial post. This is the exact setup I want to run soon, and I know I'll be printing this out when the time comes.
I will definitely update the post. And knowing me, I'll over-do it. Hey if you get stuck and need an hand I'm just right up the road. Or you could even chill here and do the work while I drink beers and laugh. Just kidding. I don't drink.
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:25 AM   #21
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

How much did you pick up those isolators for? Mine looked like hell but we seated the coils in anyhow.
Unread 01-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #22
BDS-Tech

1997 TJ Wrangler 

billzcat1: Great write up! a 4.0L WJ will get more lift out of the front than the 4.7L, but your measurements are right where I would expect them to be for a V8.

A short note on spring rates: Both the BDS front and rear springs have a spring rate of 240# although your "rule of thumb" measurements are still a very useful piece of information for people to have- I've used that same rule for junkyard spring scavenging in the past.

tech@bds-suspension.com
phone: 517-279-2135

http://www.bds-suspension.com/
BDS-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #23
MattyTee
2003 WJ 

This is a great write up. I've been running a 2" BB with some basic Hydro Shocks and not realy happy with the ride quality. I am thinking about changing over to a different spring/shock combo to remedy the problem as it just feels "squishy" from side to side.
MattyTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #24
Androoos
2001 WJ 

I'm about to do this lift and am curious about the condition of your spring isolators...can you post some pics when you do the job? I have no idea what mine are like and am now worried I'll be in this for another $100 if I have to replace them. Thanks!
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #25
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I will definitely post pics of the spring isolators as well as before/after measurements. After seeing new ones I was like WOW mine are SHOT.

The complete set of isolators was just over $100 and then I rushed shipping so I could do the job this coming weekend. I know people don't want to spend the bucks, but I think this could be a frequently-overlooked but rather vital part of any BB/spring/suspension install.

Thanks for the update, BDS! I am definitely enjoying your products! I calculated the rates based on wire diameter, number of coils, and OD. The only thing I really couldn't "measure" is how many active coils there were, so that is why my numbers are just estimates. However, the comparo to the stock springs is still fairly accurate because this error is equal for both sets of springs. I have added your information to the original post to make it "more comprehensive". Being an "Automotive Subject Matter Expert" (my actual job title now) has this effect on me...
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #26
Bowhunt24
2000 WJ 

Great thread! I was thinking of doing the BDS 2" lift as well. I was going to do the package that includes the BDS shocks too. Anyone have an opinion on that? Is it better to go with another brand?

Also it sounds likes for a perfectly level look, a 3/4" front spacer is also required? Is that the general consensus?
Bowhunt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #27
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

That would be the kit for ~$425? I have heard no feedback on the BDS 5500-series shocks. The $310 kit from FatBob's does not have BDS shocks but usually comes with DoetschTech or ProComps.

I think the 3/4" spacer is needed to level the front. I will have a conclusive answer once I complete installation of the new spring isolators. It is hard to make a determination when they are so far collapsed.
Unread 01-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #28
Bowhunt24
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
That would be the kit for ~$425? I have heard no feedback on the BDS 5500-series shocks. The $310 kit from FatBob's does not have BDS shocks but usually comes with DoetschTech or ProComps.

I think the 3/4" spacer is needed to level the front. I will have a conclusive answer once I complete installation of the new spring isolators. It is hard to make a determination when they are so far collapsed.
Awesome, looking forward to the feedback! Also, what size tires are you going with after this 2" lift? BDS says the best fit is a standard 31/10.50.
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #29
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I am keeping my current tires (245/65-17) for a while. For one, they are very good tires. For two, they are practically brand new. I'll keep an eye out of others and if a great deal comes around on some 265/65-17, 255/70-17 or 245/70-17s in a tire I like, I'll probably snag it. Honestly my first priority for W/T goes is to replace the Rogue Chromes. They look pretty good and are easy to clean, but I much prefer the JK Moabs or some of the XK/WK wheels. Also, the chrome is starting to peel off the barrels of my Rogue Chromes. I also like the 17" wheel size, even though the 16" wheels give more (and cheaper) options for tires. Just personal preference.

Lastly, the offer is out there for you as well, my local brethren - if you are stuck or need a hand installing, I would be glad to lend my services or my meager facility. I live in Everett but work in Redmond and I'm moving to the Totem Lake/Rose Hill area in March.
Unread 01-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #30
Bowhunt24
2000 WJ 

[QUOTE=
Lastly, the offer is out there for you as well, my local brethren - if you are stuck or need a hand installing, I would be glad to lend my services or my meager facility. I live in Everett but work in Redmond and I'm moving to the Totem Lake/Rose Hill area in March.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good! Thanks so much for the offer. I was originally planning on waiting for summer to do the lift, but got a bigger than expected tax return so thinking about doing it soon. The shocks need to be replaced anyways, so sounds like a good excuse to me! You might be hearing from me soon! LOL.

After the lift I'm going to put a set of rock sliders on from here:
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...gory_Code=WJSL

My buddy moved from here out to Michigan and got hooked up at this fab shop with a job. They make sweet stuff. I like the class III's because they kind of angle up around and look cleaner.

PS I work in Redmond too, you a MSFT'er?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.